Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steel fuel line
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Steel fuel line Reply with quote

Hi
Trying to track down the correct steel fuel line that runs from the front shroud by the heater box on a upright twinport motor around to the fuel pump which I believe is 6mm od.Over here in New Zealand I can only find 1/4 inch (6.3mm od ) which does not fit the ferrule at the pump.I know I can jerry something up but any leads on either a prebent 6mm od pipe or where I could buy 6mm od pipe off the roll would be appreciated
Ross
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Kiwi1966 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Steel fuel line Reply with quote

I have no answer in regards to your fuel line question...
But I have major envy for your workshop! It's spacious, clean and organized, all features that mine lacks. Crying or Very sad

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel fuel line Reply with quote

Yep, nice shop.

As far as the steel line goes I think it depends on what fuel pump you have. I have a Pierburg and it's pipe is solid from the pump inlet, through the front firewall tin, to the left side heaterbox where a rubber fuel hose is connected. Most type 1 fuel pumps aren't like this. They have a piece of rubber hose between a steel pipe and the pump inlet. You can buy those at several places I think.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel fuel line Reply with quote

Thanks for the shop comments , its normally a scene of kaos especially when my son has been in there.Below is a pic of the prebent pipe 1/4 inch 6.3mm pipe which I got off a vw shop here over in NZ.I could have rebent it to fit if it was the right diameter to fit into the pierburg pump. Tried Wolfsburg West but out of stock so have ordered from England a 2.5 metre of 6mm od cupro nickel brake line.Hoping it will do the trick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel fuel line Reply with quote

The fuel hose size is actually 5.5mm
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel fuel line Reply with quote

Hmmm....., removing .3mm can't be that hard even if you don't have a lathe, a few minutes with a file as it spins in a drill would do it. Or consider squishing it down a little with a flaring tool clamp, food for thought as you await that stuff from the UK.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Steel fuel line Reply with quote

I had thought about taking a skim off the 1/4 pipe so the olive would fit and pipe would fit into the recess in the pierburg pump but the clencer for me is I found the Cordan 5.6mm fuel line too hard to push on even 10mm on to the 1/4 inch pipre while it was siitting in my lap let alone trying to push it on when the motor i in.I will give this cupro nickel line a go, it cost $30 for 2.5m so should be able to make up 3 or 4 lines.Will report back whats its like

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Steel fuel line Reply with quote

When on 8th August 2018, I last checked the currency exchange rate, it was NZ$1 = £0•523318, so unless it was drastically different when you bought your Saville’s 6 mm cupro-nickel brake tubing prior to 24th March 2018, NZ$30 for a 2•5 metre length seems rather expensive unless it also included postage & packing from England to New Zealand.

www.saville-products.com/

A few days ago, I checked on-line in Great Britain, for a source of Saville’s 6 mm cupro-nickel brake tubing. A 25 feet (i.e. 7•62 metres) length was available from Vintage Warehouse 65 for £25•95 (circa NZ$49•59), which translates as about NZ$16•27 for a 2•5 metre length.

Mark Houghton
Vintage Warehouse 65
51 NEW ROAD
BROMSGROVE
Worcestershire
B60 2JU
United Kingdom

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363079673312?chn=ps&...7b7dfcf3ca

Saville’s 6 mm cupro-nickel brake tubing also seems to be available in 7•5 metre lengths from UKB4C, listed at £29•99.

UKB4C LIMITED
Unit 26, Rothersthorpe Crescent
Northampton
Northamptonshire
NN4 8JD
United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0) 1604 – 626 157
Email: [email protected]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184482628256?chn=ps&...fd8d558624

In Great Britain, cupro-nickel (i.e. Kunifer-10 | 90% copper & 10% nickel) tubing for automotive applications, seems to be most commonly available in in 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8 inch (i.e. 4•76 mm, 6•35 mm, 7•94 mm & 9•53 mm) O.D. x 25 feet lengths. There do seem to be a few suppliers of 6 mm O.D. cupro-nickel tubing, but it’s not so widely available. Most industrial suppliers of metric cupro-nickel tubing, list tubing in O.D. sizes of 10 mm and larger.

The mechanical fuel pumps on all the VW Type 1 style engines (with either dynamos or alternators) that I have seen in Great Britain, have had both inlet & outlet fittings for push-on braided neoprene hose; including the fuel pump on the factory-fitted AD-Series VW 1600 Type 2, twin-port engine, in my British Specification, 1973 model-year (manufactured in circa late-August or early-September 1972) VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan.

When in 1989, I converted my 1973 model-year VW 1600 Type 2’s VW Type 1 style engine from dynamo to alternator, I reduced by 6 mm the thickness of the spacer portion, of the phenolic spacer cum guide tube, for the original pushrod (similarly shortened by 6 mm) and “dynamo-type” fuel pump, so that I could reuse the upright “dynamo-type” fuel pump, rather than substitute a canted “alternator-type” fuel pump.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Steel fuel line Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
I have no answer in regards to your fuel line question...
But I have major envy for your workshop! It's spacious, clean and organized, all features that mine lacks. Crying or Very sad

...and really well lit.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Steel fuel line Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
In Great Britain, cupro-nickel (i.e. Kunifer-10 | 90% copper & 10% nickel) tubing for automotive applications, seems to be most commonly available in in 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8 inch (i.e. 4•76 mm, 6•35 mm, 7•94 mm & 9•53 mm) O.D. x 25 feet lengths.

There do seem to be a few suppliers of 6 mm O.D. cupro-nickel tubing, but it’s not so widely available. Most industrial suppliers of metric cupro-nickel tubing, list tubing in O.D. sizes of 10 mm and larger.

When in 1989, I converted my 1973 model-year VW 1600 Type 2’s VW Type 1 style engine from dynamo to alternator, I reduced by 6 mm the thickness of the spacer portion, of the phenolic spacer cum guide tube, for the original pushrod (similarly shortened by 6 mm) and “dynamo-type” fuel pump, so that I could reuse the upright “dynamo-type” fuel pump, rather than substitute a canted “alternator-type” fuel pump.

I used about one and a half 3/16 inch (i.e. 4•76 mm) O.D. x 25 feet lengths of Kunifer-10 cupro-nickel brake tubing during Wnter 1988/89 on my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 when I retro-fitted ATE (i.e. Alfred Teves) twin remote-acting vacuum brake servo units and replaced the remainder of the factory-fitted brake tubing, as a long-term precaution against corrosion.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: