Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954 Frame & Body Numbers NOT Chassis/VIN #s
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: 1954 Frame & Body Numbers NOT Chassis/VIN #s Reply with quote

Whats your frame number.. any close relatives out there??

Location: The frame number is found on the right or left front brake hose mounting bracket, stamped on the flat side.. Mine was located on the left front bracket, stamped on the outside.

I found my frame number this morning.. Didnt even know where it was until reading through some of the threads.. a 1953 thread..

Frame #: -0634673-
Body #: 540451
Front Axle #: -0624338-
VIN #:1-0609***

Which matches the rest of the numbers Ive found on the car thus far.. So heres my questions..

1- Why is there a difference in frame #s & chassis #s.., due to the assembling line style of making the vehicles? If so, why didnt they match that to the tunnel?
2- What was done first when building the pans at Wolfsburg, was the tunnel installed afterwards then stamped? Or did they start with the tunnel and add to it?
3- I also read about a prefix for these (KT or KD).. any more details about this.. I seen there was a two letter stamping.. and the thread I read stated from 1952-55.. I didnt see a prefix on my frame..

This puts my 1954 Frame towards the end of February.. Roughly the 15,579th frame done in February of 54..

It puts my 1954 Body towards the end of February as well.. Roughly the 13,823rd body done in February of 54..

Any frame relatives out there??
I gave my oval a nasty look. Money hungry bitch....

(Delilah) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319235

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

1954 Parts Book (CD PDF) PM TO INQUIRE

Last edited by valentinesr on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbrewer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the body number is only in one place: behind the spare tire. Is this correct? PO welded on a new front clip and now I don't have the original body #.
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I dont think theres any other body number stampings other than the one thats in the luggage tray area behind the spare tire... Did you find your frame number?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a pic of the Frame Number

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Adoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be out there tomorrow with my wire wool checking for this. Thanks.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Frame & Body Numbers NOT Chassis/VIN #s Reply with quote

valentinesr wrote:
Whats your frame number.. any close relatives out there??

Location: The frame number is found on the right or left front brake hose mounting bracket, stamped on the flat side.. Mine was located on the left front bracket, stamped on the outside.

I found my frame number this morning.. Didnt even know where it was until reading through some of the threads.. a 1953 thread..

Frame #: -0634673-
Body #: 540451
Front Axle #: -0624338-
VIN #:1-0609***

Which matches the rest of the numbers Ive found on the car thus far.. So heres my questions..

1- Why is there a difference in frame #s & chassis #s.., due to the assembling line style of making the vehicles? If so, why didnt they match that to the tunnel?
2- What was done first when building the pans at Wolfsburg, was the tunnel installed afterwards then stamped? Or did they start with the tunnel and add to it?
3- I also read about a prefix for these (KT or KD).. any more details about this.. I seen there was a two letter stamping.. and the thread I read stated from 1952-55.. I didnt see a prefix on my frame..

This puts my 1954 Frame towards the end of February.. Roughly the 15,579th frame done in February of 54..

It puts my 1954 Body towards the end of February as well.. Roughly the 13,823rd body done in February of 54..

Any frame relatives out there??

Here are (were) the numbers from a Feb '54 chassis I no longer have:

Frame: -0631929- (2744 lower)
Body: N/A (rolled & scrapped late '50s)
Front Axle: -0622148- (2190 lower)
Transaxle: A200151
Engine: 1-0732960
VIN: 1-06075XX

This suggests that your og engine number was around 1-0736000, allowing additional 20 percent to cover Type 2 production (2500 + 500 = 3000).

This would apply to transaxles as well, but at at about 4 to 1 ratio (2000 + 500 = 2500, the other 500 being Type 1 standard crashboxes in a different number series from the A/B-prefixed transaxles), which approximates your og transaxle number as being around A202650.

The KT/KD prefixes were used on factory remanufactured frame heads, which wouldn't, in all probability, appear on a car produced for export.
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play!

Jan. 7th '54

Frame #:-605562-
Body #: 514597
Beam #: 0596149
Trans #: A174612
Engine #: 702-697
VIN #: -1-0581***

I have everything but the engine.......
If anyone has one close shoot me a PM. Wink
German U-Boat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew where the frame number was, now I can't wait to get my chassis back to check...I'll have my numbers posted within the week or so! Very Happy
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any way to use frame number, body number, and/or beam number to locate chassis number?
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, right here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

I had a chassis with the vin number worn down very badly and by cross referencing the frame and axle number i was able to narrow down the correct number from what i could make out of the worn down areas, also can check existing registry entrys to make sure someone else is'nt using the same number! I guess its possible to register a frame as a dune buggy or something in the USA to the chassis number and perhaps someone else in a different state or country could be using the original body and VIN with a replacement chassis, I don't think there is any international system of keeping track of very old serial numbers unless something is reported as stolen, would not surprise me to some day find two restored cars on opposite sides of the globe with matching numbers
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Bill, PM sent
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
Grot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Frame & Body Numbers NOT Chassis/VIN #s Reply with quote

I know his is an old thread, but I will add to it for the sake of other readers. I have a NOS 1954 RHD floorpan that came out of a VW dealership spare parts supply in Australia in the late 50s. It had no chassis number stamped at the rear of the tunnel, but did have a number stamped on the top of the tunnel between the gearstick and the handbrake. It is KU-022265-. I suppose that is a number used only on spare parts as suggested by others?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: