Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle??
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ams69hrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

While sorting out the pile of boxes I purchased with the 1961 beetle I found these electrical components. Any idea if this is stock for this 1961 Beetle? What is it anyway - relay(s)? Many thanks in advance

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

I don’t think that’s original equipment for your car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ams69hrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

thanks anthracitedub, I got that impression too, but want to make sure.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

It looks like marchal relays, I think that set up was used as accessory headlight relays (to avoid voltage drop to the headlights) and maybe also fog/driving lights. Not specific to VW but might be cool of you have marchal headlights or fogs (if they work).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

I’d certainly keep them, look like some cool period 6 volt relays.
ams69hrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

I haven't seen any brackets or any other mounting point near the bumper being able to mount accessory lights or something like that. I assume that in the past a searchlight had been mounted, but that one is now gone.

I agree Frederik that it's not stock since it says "Made in France", Germans wouldn't use French stuff on their cars Very Happy - they prefer Bosch, Hella f.e.

BTW, I couldn't find any brand-name.

Thanks folks!

Last edited by ams69hrs on Thu May 06, 2021 2:13 am; edited 3 times in total
ams69hrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

Frederik, I found this, you could be right by saying it's most likely Marchal

wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

Frederik wrote:
It looks like marchal relays, I think that set up was used as accessory headlight relays (to avoid voltage drop to the headlights) and maybe also fog/driving lights. Not specific to VW but might be cool of you have marchal headlights or fogs (if they work).

It is Marchal!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

The pairing, and even the white/yellow wire colors, suggest maybe there were both driving and fog lamps, and this dual-relay arrangement pairs them with low/high beam main headlights. I am guessing that's a fuse holder with the bakelite case?
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

The marchal relays in pair connected together with the fuse holder on top (as topic) I've seen has been sold as accessory headlight relays for Volvos (but they were probably universal) one relay in the pair is for low and one high beam. Hella and Bosch also sold accessory dual headlight relays, marketed to get better headlights/less voltage drop. Especially recommended to add later on if converted to halogen.

Here is a nos one, notice the "volvo" on the box
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

In this picture from a folder of Bosch accessory for Volkswagen from may 1960 you can see the Bosch accessory headlight relay next to the accessory washer bottle/ on top of the brake fluid reservoir

ams69hrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

This looks like mine Frederik. If I would go for extra lightning I would go for German equipment like relays, but also the lights. Thank for sharing this info.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

This is from the same Bosch folder. It has nothing to do with topic but as info. Fogs/curve light was usually not wired through a relay back then, but directly from generator regulator (or starter/battery) to a accessory fuse holder and through a accessory switch to the fog light.

The usual combination was to only have one accessory fog (fluted glass) sometimes in pair with one spot/driving light (lighly fluted/not fluted) on the bumper as in previous picture. The spot/driving light used a relay (and switch) to turn on with the high beams. The fog would be on the right side, spot on the left side (driving on the right side) or the opposite as in the pictures (driving on the left side).

From the early 50's Bosch also strongly marketed the accessory loud horn. The use was to switch to the loud horn and signaling before overtaking a truck (they were noicy back then and chance were that the original horn signal wasn't heard in the cockpit). It used a toggle switch to switch between stock and loud horn and a horn relay. The loud horn was also mounted on the bumper, usual combinations was one loud horn, one fog and one loud horn or one fog one spot and one load horn (as picture). You could also use two loud horns (high/low Hz) but it wasn't so usual on VW. But you could really combine it however you wanted.

ams69hrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Stock electrical components for a 1961 Beetle?? Reply with quote

This is what I should get Frederik Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: