Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wipers & power mirrors.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dudewheresmyvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Wipers & power mirrors. Reply with quote

I have an 89 vanagon and recently my power mirrors and front and rear wipes stopped working. I’ve changed the ignition switch, the fuses are all good and the wiring harness for the wipers looks like everything is were it should be. What am I missing here?
kevinm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipers & power mirrors. Reply with quote

Have you checked the ground tree near the fuse box? I think the ground connections for the wipers and mirrors use that ground.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wipers & power mirrors. Reply with quote

I can't help with the wipers but you should take a look at the power mirror switch and maybe hose it down with contact cleaner.

My mirrors didn't work when I first bought my van but after enough drives with a fidgety hand constantly messing with the switch they one day just started working. I assume the contacts were corroded and using the switch eventually wore through the crud.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wipers & power mirrors. Reply with quote

For the power mirrors check the wiring bundle where it passes from the driver's door to the body. Wires can break from the flexing that occurs there and I had to repair mine.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wipers & power mirrors. Reply with quote

Mirrors and wipers. There is no electrical correspondence between these two items, ground or hot so it has to be a coincidence. Unless something melted up under the dash and happened to fry both separate wires. Start with Bentley and your VOM and work from hot to ground until readings collapse. I often take a sewing pin and shove it through the insulation to check at various points. This is gonna take some time and cuss words to solve. But before you try too much, take a hot lead and touch it to the wires closest to the motors so see if they still move. Yes, door boot wires often fail, but the wipers? That could be a stalk issue.
Dudewheresmyvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wipers & power mirrors. Reply with quote

Ok. I figured it out. Turns out it’s a failed fuse box so I’ve got one on order. By passed the panel for now so at least I have front wipers. Thx for all the comments. ✌️
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: