Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater channel and Floor pan replacement
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AidanK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Heater channel and Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a 64 bug that I intended on getting structurally sound by replacing floor pans and heater channels, as well as patching some areas that are rusted out like the seam where the luggage tray meets the rear wheelhouse, and behind the pedal cluster where the master cylinder is. I came in contact with a guy who said he would do it for about 4k, if I buy most of the replacement parts. However, I have waited over a year so far in hopes he would be available.
I'm curious if anyone knows of guys in the upstate NY area that have replaced floor pans and heater channels before and would be willing to take on a project like this.

Figured I'd reach out to ya'll and see if anyone had any input

Thanks
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

Stay away from that Beep Beep guy. Other than that, I don't have anyone else to recommend.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

Have you checked with Chris Vallone at Classic VW Bugs to get a quote?

https://www.classicvwbugs.com/
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
downsbs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

AidanK wrote:
Hi all,

I have a 64 bug that I intended on getting structurally sound by replacing floor pans and heater channels, as well as patching some areas that are rusted out like the seam where the luggage tray meets the rear wheelhouse, and behind the pedal cluster where the master cylinder is. I came in contact with a guy who said he would do it for about 4k, if I buy most of the replacement parts. However, I have waited over a year so far in hopes he would be available.
I'm curious if anyone knows of guys in the upstate NY area that have replaced floor pans and heater channels before and would be willing to take on a project like this.

Figured I'd reach out to ya'll and see if anyone had any input

Thanks

Four thousand just for pan and heater channel replacement????? And you are buying the parts??? Eff that, I don't know anyone in NY but I'd bet my axle nuts that you can find someone to do it for you much cheaper than that crook!!!! Hell you come out cheaper to send me the car, pay me to fix it, and send it back!!!!!!
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:

Is that the guy Splitjunkie is talking about?
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

That isn't that far off for a SHOP that has bills to pay to stay open. Plus you are opening a can of worms. Expect more rust than what you can see, if it has that much visible.

Shop rate:
$100 HR ish / $4000 = 40HRS

Dismantle car 6-8 hrs
Passenger channel 8 hrs
Driver channel 8hrs
Passenger Pan 6 hrs
Drivers Pan 6 hrs

That leaves 4-6 hrs left to put your car back together.

You could get a better body for half of this repair. Better learn to weld.

I will quote Lind: "If you can't afford a good project car than you certainly can't afford a bad project car."

Always start with the best example you can afford. Even if you have to save for awhile.

Here is an example, has rebuilt engine and tranny. No welding and still cheaper than your repairs are going to be.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2469631
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
sportin-wood wrote:

Is that the guy Splitjunkie is talking about?

see below.

Last edited by splitjunkie on Fri May 07, 2021 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

If you know anything about this stuff, these two videos should give you pause. Nice hackage with the cutting torch.

Link

The proper way to install pans is to drill holes and plug weld the pans to the frame. They have just put spot welds at the edges on the pans and on the seat rails. Enlarging the holes on the pan is also not necessary. If something doesn't line up, adjust the holes that need some help and remove the least material necessary.

Link

Then of course there is this complete cluster.

Long story short, it appeared to be a zwitter with an older restoration. It was brought in the have a top shelf restoration done. It turned out to be an oval that had zwitter parts grafted on very poorly, at some point earlier in its life by someone else. Beep Beep just smoothed it all over with bondo and paint and put the car together. They used to have videos up of the restoration but they have either been taken down or made private.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683884

This is just my opinion of course but I wouldn't let that shop anywhere near one of my cars so I would never recommend that shop. If you feel comfortable with this level of "craftsmanship" then by all means have at it.

This is the car after the guy who bought it restored or paid to have it restored by beep beep and discovered problems and then sent it to a different shop to fix it correctly. The shiny paint job was from beep beep. With the body completely blasted you can see that it was a Frankenstein that someone other than beep beep hacked together. Not pretty.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/cookersvdubs/photos/?t...e_internal

I actually would recommend Cookers VW in MD. I have never dealt with them but I have never heard anything negative about them. They are straight shooters and do excellent work.

https://www.cookersvdubs.com/

1965beetlerescue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my 1st beetle restoration, but I agree with the above. That's a good chunk of money. I charge $35-55/hr welding and bodywork. The floor job without the body on is about $1200 with the good parts included.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Heater channel and Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

1965beetlerescue wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my 1st beetle restoration, but I agree with the above. That's a good chunk of money. I charge $35-55/hr welding and bodywork. The floor job without the body on is about $1200 with the good parts included.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Are those the new Danish pans that are actually nice?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: