Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much would you actually pay for a bus?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:
Piggybacking on a previous topic, “what was the most you paid”, what is the actual dollar amount you would spend on a really nice, complete, doesn’t need much to be what you want bus?

I’m talking about real money you have and are willing to part with, not a “if I won the lottery” scenario.

Would you actually fork over thousands that you would normally have set aside for use on more urgent or necessary expenditures? Think

I am trying to think of when I have ever bought such a thing.

I generally buy something like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and put a bunch of time, money, and energy into it. see https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133563

Actually, both buses above were rollers with titles and cracked old tires when bought. I sold the white 67 Riviera as a good daily driverable camper, when I bought a 66 kombi roller with title and old cracked tires. All three buses were good deals. I sold the 67 for about $5k, which now is dirt cheap for a good driver og paint camper, even with dents, and rust in rockers and front floor.

The 61 campingbox was a driver when bought for a price with two digits before the comma, and really only needed a clean gas tank to be more than a yard driver. But we put a bunch of work into it, which made it a better bus.
...and it could have more done to it.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

Currently Electric vehicles have a Finite source of heavy metals and pollute w unknown effects, genetically that is. ICE or fossil fuels are abundant and always will be as long as the earths plates continue to move. That said, the new generation is being convinced we need to move toward E-cars and unless a new source of e power is produced, we will rely on fossil fuels that perpetually reproduce. We certainly need fossil fuel to extract this heavy metal ore. Most of us will be dead if this happens, so enjoy your ICE vintage buses as often as you can. I will listen to HEAVY METAL in my vintage bus this afternoon, and that is as close I will come to any heavy metal in my car. I can still hug a tree, besides my bus gives the trees the CO2 they need
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chgrec Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

The upside is that with so many (and some very expensive) classic ICE cars out there, a market for gasoline will stay around for a very long time. Because of that, many are looking into alternatives to fossil based gasoline, including Porsche. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/porsche-e-fuel-synthetic-gas-ev-emissions/

It certainly wont be $2.50 per gallon but since when has the cost of things stopped any of us from this hobby...

Follow my latest project: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=668542&highlight=

My previous project: http://www.mgexp.com/journal/chgrec/
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

Generally I am willing to spend up to about 75% of market value for a bus, but occasionally as much as 110% of market value if I really really want it. I do prefer to pay less though.

Buses are more fun than money.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

Too much 😂
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

I generally buy something like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and put a bunch of time, money, and energy into it.

This^^^^
I tend towards field finds as well. (cheap)
Not as exotic as Clara's finds, but basket cases nonetheless.

I also agree with one of Lind's bus philosophies "If you can't afford an expensive bus, you can't afford a cheap bus".

I just prefer to treasure hunt a bunch of the parts needed and put the bus together myself.

Like many others on this forum, I derive significant satisfaction from the build as well as the drive.

The final costs of the build generally render the original purchase price insignificant, but it feeds my soul in a way very few other activities can.

So the short answer to the question? - Generally the builds I have done (as long as my time is "free") add up to likely about 80% of FMV when complete, so I guess that is what I am willing to pay for a bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: How much would you actually pay for a bus? Reply with quote

When I decided to get back into ACVWs and was shopping for the bus I'm currently working on my criteria was this.

1-Get something in need of restoration. I prefer doing the work myself because then I know it's done right.
2-Get something mostly complete (All the glass, seats, lights, etc.). I passed over a bunch of stripped out shells and frankenbusses. While in can be fun tracking down the correct parts, buying everything for a vehicle will nickel and dime you to death. Although it is easier these days with the internet to find what you need.
3-Under $8000. I knew, being in the Northeast an unrestored bus was going to have rust, so not an unreasonable number. I ended up spending just over half that much. My bus was posted in the good deals thread on The Samba, lucky for me it was after I had already made the deal. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: