Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upper Timing Chain Guides
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Upper Timing Chain Guides Reply with quote

Is it possible to change the upper timing chain guides/tensioner with the engine in the van?
(12Valve VR6 - ‘99)
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Timing Chain Guides Reply with quote

I believe that you must pull the trans out, but you can leave the engine in the car. That gives you the room that you need.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Timing Chain Guides Reply with quote

I had thought I read somewhere that a plate could be removed to do the top only.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Timing Chain Guides Reply with quote

I'm fuzzy about whether that's possible, but I guess the question is why? If the upper rail is worn, then most of the rest of the chain system is probably as well. Best to do them all at the same time and be done with it. Not that I haven't done partial parts swaps myself.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Timing Chain Guides Reply with quote

I will try to get a picture. I recall something like that too, but in my head, I cannot wrap my head around how. I have a 12V VR6 on the stand in the garage, I will try to take a picture of that end. For some reason I recall one of the guide bolts is below the part line at the head gasket, but it has been a while since I thought about that.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Timing Chain Guides Reply with quote

I just watched a video on it, he is working on a jetta it looks like, but he gets the one upper out. You will have to take the intake manifold off anyway too. Changing out the chain my be out of the question though I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRndLodYKRw

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Timing Chain Guides Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm fuzzy about whether that's possible, but I guess the question is why? If the upper rail is worn, then most of the rest of the chain system is probably as well. Best to do them all at the same time and be done with it. Not that I haven't done partial parts swaps myself.

Because I have the parts, and I am going on a trip soon. I figure half a job is better than no job, for this, if it’s much faster.

Too bad there is no-one for a reasonable rate I could trust with the job anywhere close. We are VERY rural.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Timing Chain Guides Reply with quote

I took a look, but no pics. It looks like you can get the lower guide replaced no problem, but the tensioner side guide looks like a no go without removing the lower cover (pulling the trans). You can replace the tensioner itself but just not the plastic guide.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Timing Chain Guides Reply with quote

soissisc wrote:
I took a look, but no pics. It looks like you can get the lower guide replaced no problem, but the tensioner side guide looks like a no go without removing the lower cover (pulling the trans). You can replace the tensioner itself but just not the plastic guide.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: