Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Specific Fuel Regulator and Breather Box Mounting Assistance
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
plywoodkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Specific Fuel Regulator and Breather Box Mounting Assistance Reply with quote

All,

I am making some progress, but need some advice regarding the mounting of my Ron Lummus Breather Box and Aero Fuel Regulator.

Disclaimer:

I ordered these parts about a year ago as we were building the engine, so I may have been overzealous in regards to the size of the Box and Regulator. I probably should have went with the stand-up Berg Breather. But this is where I am at, so I would appreciate those comments that could facilitate with me using these parts vice selling and buying new ones. Space is premium so I want to make wise calls before I put the firewall back on after the tank restore. Also, if I mount anything to the firewall, I will mount RivNuts first to ensure it is solid and I am not drilling into a blind firewall. Like I said, I want to do this right and only ditch these parts if I have to.

Background:

-1970 Bus
-2180 Engine w/ Electric Fuel Pump with Pre and Post Filter mounted under Bus
-Deep Oil Sump / External Filter under DS Battery Tray
-Full Flow Oil System
-External Oil Cooler and Fan Mounted Under the Bus with Thermostat
-Duel Weber 44’s
-All PTFE Fuel and Oil Lines with AN fittings

*Note on Oil, plan is to run lines out the side of Breather Box to the tapped Valve Covers via AN8 male fittings. The bottom fitting, will run down into the case just to the right of the Dizzy. On the open hole next to the oil filler, I will use a small stand-alone filter to catch any mist.

*Note on Fuel, plan to run main fuel line into bottom of Fuel Regulator. Hoses out of each side of the regulator the respective carb.

The measurements of the two parts are as follows:

-RLR Breather Box: 11 x 5 Inches
-Aero Fuel Regulator: 2 x 4 inches

Also, I understand completely and want to ensure that my oil lines must facilitate downward drain back into the case. No flat spots….I get it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

plywoodkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Specific Fuel Regulator and Breather Box Mounting Assistance Reply with quote

I should have also stated, I would appreciate any pics.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Specific Fuel Regulator and Breather Box Mounting Assistance Reply with quote

I have mine up here with AN8 lines

gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Specific Fuel Regulator and Breather Box Mounting Assistance Reply with quote

get a carter electric fuel pump and you wont need to mount the regulator.. the carter has a reg built in.... if space is an issue?
plywoodkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Specific Fuel Regulator and Breather Box Mounting Assistance Reply with quote

Thanks Guys.

I have had good luck with Facet cylinder pumps and want to stick with this one.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=2698

Plus I have all the AN Fittings at this point.

I was thinking after seeing some of the pics, fuel regulator mounted on the front of the shroud and breather box behind the shroud.

Keep the ideas coming. I appreciate it.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Specific Fuel Regulator and Breather Box Mounting Assistance Reply with quote

I dont know if this helps you at all but my regulator is here. I didn't mount it there, the previous owner did but it's a decent spot - reasonably accessible. My pump and filters are down near the trans

plywoodkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Specific Fuel Regulator and Breather Box Mounting Assistance Reply with quote

Big help..... thanks!
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Specific Fuel Regulator and Breather Box Mounting Assistance Reply with quote

plywoodkid wrote:
Big help..... thanks!

👍👍
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Specific Fuel Regulator and Breather Box Mounting Assistance Reply with quote

I made brackets and used this space:

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Specific Fuel Regulator and Breather Box Mounting Assistance Reply with quote

I mounted mine on the back of the shroud. I dont like running with a gauge. I put one on to check then cap it. I had one start leaking. Its just a soldered piece of coiled copper that flexes to turn the needle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: