Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

TY
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

New stupid question... The needle valves used at the inlet of the Weber ICT carb (and shared with some other Weber carbs) are available in different sizes. It seems all the new ICT carbs sold for aircooled VWs come with the 1.75 mm. Some of the replacement ones for the same are even 2.0 mm.

Since these are so sensitive to fuel pressure why not use the smaller and available 1.50 mm needle valve? It should increase the maximum fuel pressure without flooding by about 35%. It is hard to imagine that an engine mild enough for 34 ICT carbs needs more fuel than 2 needle valves each 1.5 mm in size can provide.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Here's a stupid carb question for you. First background - no vacuum leaks, idles fine and steady, 1600DP Bosch DVDA w/a Bocar 34-3, the one w/the dashpot sticking out of the rear.

With no vacuum leaks, engine nicely tuned, valves, timing and carb adjusted, what would make it run lean? Volume screw turned in too far? Or main jet too small?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Here's a stupid carb question for you. First background - no vacuum leaks, idles fine and steady, 1600DP Bosch DVDA w/a Bocar 34-3, the one w/the dashpot sticking out of the rear.

With no vacuum leaks, engine nicely tuned, valves, timing and carb adjusted, what would make it run lean? Volume screw turned in too far? Or main jet too small?

Where in operation is it running lean? Lean idle is handled with the volume screw. Above that point as you start to apply throttle it may point to a idle jet issue. If it is only at higher rpm and greater loads then the main jet circuit is suspect. Each of these ranges has more than 1 possible cause to check.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

EVFun, it's more at cruising speed and under load. The volume screw is only to smooth out the idle, and the big idle screw is to raise or lower the idle RPM, right? This has always been a point of confusion for me.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

You got the idle screws down. Lean running, light load, is still mostly off the idle jet. As you get on it the carb should smoothly transition fully onto the main circuit and further onto the high speed enrichment system. I don't know anything about the dashpot, so I can't say what it might be doing. A few ideas from what I have seen:

Idle jet really torqued down at some point. It can move enough metal to restrict that circuit.

Aftermarket exhaust. If it breathes well it can lean out the upper ranges.

Plugged, or not getting hot, heat riser. The fuel can partly fall out of its fine atomization. Some it It ends up not getting burnt which acts lean. This is more likely to screw you up off idle, but the troubles it can cause can extend to any engine range. These issues are worse when cool and/or damp and generally minimal in dry hot weather.

Gasoline that is more than E10 (10% ethanol.) Alcohol needs a richer mixture to burn right so too much in your gas results in a lean mix. Even 10% leans it some but these engines have a rich enough mix to forgive that.

All sorts of dirt inside a carb that indicates the need for a cleaning and rebuild. It can cause a wide range of different issues.

Since this is more than a basic PICT-1 carb others can likely provide better specifics.
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I can not seem to find the horn on my 74' SB. A lot of posts have said it's under the front left fender and near the bumper by the bumper bracket. Mine is not to be found. Either it was placed somewhere else on the vehicle or I just don't have a horn on the bug. Any ideas where I might physically find my horn?
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

solorogue wrote:
I can not seem to find the horn on my 74' SB. A lot of posts have said it's under the front left fender and near the bumper by the bumper bracket. Mine is not to be found. Either it was placed somewhere else on the vehicle or I just don't have a horn on the bug. Any ideas where I might physically find my horn?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(pic from TheSamba gallery)

Your description is accurate. Probably if you don't see it there, and it doesn't sound when you push the button, then it is gone.
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

ok, what is this "25 min pressure" knob/dial under my 74' SB? it's
located on the passenger side under the running boards/rocker panel area. Is this something I need or crucial? I cut one of the tiny black hoses on it when cutting out my passenger floor pan.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

solorogue wrote:
ok, what is this "25 min pressure" knob/dial under my 74' SB?

That is not a stock item. Maybe follow the hoses to see where they go?
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

solorogue wrote:
ok, what is this "25 min pressure" knob/dial under my 74' SB? it's
located on the passenger side under the running boards/rocker panel area. Is this something I need or crucial? I cut one of the tiny black hoses on it when cutting out my passenger floor pan.
looks like of a valve for air shocks.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:

Yep, that's the service fitting for Gabriel HiJackers.
https://www.amazon.com/Gabriel-141099-Air-Hose-Kit/dp/B001AMAAES
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
68IHscout wrote:

Yep, that's the service fitting for Gabriel HiJackers.
https://www.amazon.com/Gabriel-141099-Air-Hose-Kit/dp/B001AMAAES

I am not aware the car had air shocks on it. The small black tubes from this gauge/knob do go to the back of the car, not to the front. The Amazon link you shared does not work. I have only been working on the front of the car so far, so I guess once to get to the back I can find out more, but I am going to assume it is ok that I cut one of these lines. as I don't need to be using air shocks... I guess I can just take this dial/gauge off
Johnny Dangerously
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me the name of this wire terminal block and if I can buy them new?
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

solorogue wrote:
The small black tubes from this gauge/knob do go to the back of the car, not to the front.

Sounds like the air shocks may have been a bandaid for sagging rear suspension.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

solorogue wrote:
I am not aware the car had air shocks on it. The small black tubes from this gauge/knob do go to the back of the car, not to the front. The Amazon link you shared does not work. I have only been working on the front of the car so far, so I guess once to get to the back I can find out more, but I am going to assume it is ok that I cut one of these lines. as I don't need to be using air shocks... I guess I can just take this dial/gauge off

Not sure why the link doesn't work for you, but it shows the Gabriel 141099 hose accessory kit with the identical hoses and pressure fitting with metal placard like your car has.

Just because your car had air shocks doesn't mean that it still does. If you don't have or want them, then remove the hoses and fitting.

Air shocks were more commonly installed in the rear than the front back in the day. They were used to jack the rear end up to give the car a raked look.
bergfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
solorogue wrote:

Not sure why the link doesn't work for you, but it shows the Gabriel 141099 hose accessory kit with the identical hoses and pressure fitting with metal placard like your car has.

Just because your car had air shocks doesn't mean that it still does. If you don't have or want them, then remove the
hoses and fitting.

Air shocks were more commonly installed in the rear than the front back in the day. They were used to jack the rear end up to give the car a raked look.

Super Beetles always seem to sit higher in the front so maybe the PO didn't like that look and put the air shocks in the back
VladsVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is it possible to power bleed a new master cylinder?
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

You guys are so awesome! So far I have not stumped any of you. I check the back shocks and sure enough .. the PO put on Gabriel HiJackers air shocks on the back. You guys ROCK!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

solorogue wrote:
the PO put on Gabriel HiJackers air shocks on the back. You guys ROCK!!

I have those on the rear of my 1971 Convertible to raise the sagging rear end !!

The Cuss does NOT like saggy rear ends !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 93 of 128

Jump to: