Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How muchj flexibility do you have with VR6 swaps?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: How muchj flexibility do you have with VR6 swaps? Reply with quote

Hi,

Going to see a 2000 today with the 12 valve VR6. It's got a quarter milllion miles on it, a testament to the durability of these engines.

Obviously that engine won't pass my "drive it to Tierra Del Fuego" test and a swap might be wise. I'm wondering,:

Assuming I transferred the entire wiring harness and any sensors from the original engine to the replacement, even if it's out of a non-Eurovan, would it work? MUST the donor be out of a EV or would one out of, say, a Passat or jetta work? Or did VW use different cams and other different internals?

Would it be possible to swap in a 24V or would the computer system and wiring harness need to be swapped out as well?

Thanks.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How muchj flexibility do you have with VR6 swaps? Reply with quote

With the 12V, the physical layout had to be different to fit into the engine compartment. Pretty sure headers are different, but probably more, as the engine has different hp and torque figures.

As far as a 24V in there, since ECUs expect to communicate with more than just the engine these days, may be more than a wiring harness and ECU. I wouldn’t go there, but maybe someone else has more experience.
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How muchj flexibility do you have with VR6 swaps? Reply with quote

I'd stay with a 12V for sure. Like maybe a VR6 out of a 1998-2000 GTI.

The torque ratings and HP seem similar between the GTI and the Eurovan. I'm wondering if it's the same darn mill...
gschwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How muchj flexibility do you have with VR6 swaps? Reply with quote

My 99 has a 12V engine from a 2001 Jetta. It was installed by the previous owner, so I don’t know all the specifics. I did talk to the mechanic who did the work, and it sounded like it was a clean swap. The torque and HP spec is a little different, but not much. I think the Jetta engine has more HP, but slightly less low end?
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How muchj flexibility do you have with VR6 swaps? Reply with quote

That would make sense. I bet the camshafts are a little different, to provide a little more torque low down to move the 4100 lb EV off the line.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How muchj flexibility do you have with VR6 swaps? Reply with quote

I believe the EV cams are different than other 12v VR6s. They produce less HP, but produce more torque lower down in the RPM range. Swapping out cams is super easy, so that shouldn't stop you from finding another lower mileage 12v. The remainder of the parts should swap over...except that some earlier engines have distributors and other small variations in the EGR systems that might complicate and/or narrow your donor options. I think most 12v Mk4 Golf/Jetta models should be good donors.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: How muchj flexibility do you have with VR6 swaps? Reply with quote

That's great to know. I may be buying a 2000 this evening with 226K miles. That's a testament to the durability of those engines... but gee, a swap is probably in order!
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: How muchj flexibility do you have with VR6 swaps? Reply with quote

I swapped an AAA engine in place of the AES. The long block is the same. The cams are different, less low end torque. I transferred over the oil pump, oil pan (engine sits tipped way farther over) and the valve cover to the long block. Then pretty much everything else that bolts to the engine I transferred from the AES to the replacement AAA. Intake manifolds, alt, AC, PS, and their mount bracket, exhaust manifold, thermostat housing, crank pully (dampener) etc, etc, I can't recall everything. Pretty much everything that bolts to the long block.

My replacement AAA has the older style of two rows of timing chains and seems to have held up much more quietly than the AES single chain design ever did. That AAA had around 90K miles (I was told) when I swapped it in, I have put around 75K miles on it since then and I do not hear any chain noise at all at idle. I think the engine leaning over so much further in the Eurovan puts extra strain on the upper chain guides in the AES. But maybe two rows of chains in the AAA are lighter or the guide material was better?

It is fun how a lot of VW stuff is like legos.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: