Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 SB autostick engine not rotating
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Are you sure the tap work was done right? Hint: there are no SAE threads on this thing, hope he had a metric tap.

It was metric. Neighbor is way more experienced with tapping than me and we also tested with a screw and the torque conv before then engine went back in. It appears to be more of an alignment issue than the tap. The flex plates holes are not lining up with the brackets on the torque conv...they are slightly off.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

Is it even possible to have all 4 engine bolts in and tightened and still have some kind of alignment issue? Torque conv feels like it is in correctly as it spins freely and I don't hear any rubbing.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

I'm going to upload a pic although I'm not sure how helpful it is. Hard to get my phone in a good position for a clear pic.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

My pic upload keeps failing for some reason. Wasn't a very good pic anyways since it was hard to get my phone in a good position.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

Finally got it uploaded. It is hard to see but the flex plate hole is not lining up with the torque conv bracket. Any ideas why this is happening?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

Is the flex plate bent? How could that happen?
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

An update: Somehow got them in although i'm not comfortable with one of them. Engine rotates and I'm now trying to start it. Not getting fuel to the fuel pump.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

To get it started, poor a small amount of fuel down into the carb vent tube. Maybe 2 tablespoon. You can make a funnel out of a piece of paper. Just be careful! Have a fire extinguisher near by, just in case!

With the carb bowl filled it should start (if all the other systems are working and timed correctly) and will run for a minute or so. That should give the fuel pump enough time to catch up. If not maybe need a fuel pump or to clear the fuel line.

But, be sure to check the oil level. Sometimes the pump will fail and fill the crankcase!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
To get it started, poor a small amount of fuel down into the carb vent tube. Maybe 2 tablespoon. You can make a funnel out of a piece of paper. Just be careful! Have a fire extinguisher near by, just in case!

With the carb bowl filled it should start (if all the other systems are working and timed correctly) and will run for a minute or so. That should give the fuel pump enough time to catch up. If not maybe need a fuel pump or to clear the fuel line.

But, be sure to check the oil level. Sometimes the pump will fail and fill the crankcase!

Thanks Jim. Should I do this even though fuel is not even reaching the fuel filter? It's bone dry. So far what I have done is I unhooked the fuel line from the tank and got a 4 ft long fuel hose and stuck that directly into a small cup (fire extinguisher near by!) of gas and turned over the engine. Nothing. I guess that eliminates any hose problem coming from the gas tank. Reading the Bentley, it says the push rod should be 1/2 inch at its peak so I took off the pump, rotated the engine to see the push rod peak at it was only about 1/4 inch. If it's just the fuel pump I'd be happy, that's a reasonable price on jbugs.com.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Thanks Jim. Should I do this even though fuel is not even reaching the fuel filter? It's bone dry.

Yes, starting this way can prime a fuel pump. Try it, several times if necessary.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Thanks Jim. Should I do this even though fuel is not even reaching the fuel filter? It's bone dry.

Yes, starting this way can prime a fuel pump. Try it, several times if necessary.

Thanks Cusser, will do.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
Cusser wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Thanks Cusser, will do.

Tried about half dozen times and engine isn't catching like I have no spark. I did put new spark plugs and wires on before engine reinstall. I guess I need to make a nice troubleshooting list.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

The fuel pump relies on gravity flow of fuel from the tank. I have found that if the tank is near empty (say if it has only a couple gallons in it) then it can be hard to get that gravity flow started. If the ass end of the car is elevated, forget it.

Add more gas to the tank and/or elevate the front of the car until you get gas at the fuel pump (pull the fuel supply hose off the fuel pump and verify that gas is flowing out via gravity from the tank).

Separately of course make sure you have spark, make sure the wires are ordered the correct way around the distributor cap etc.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

How long has the car been sitting? Gas will solidify in the bottom of the tank and in the lines (don't ask me how I know) thus clogging everything.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
How long has the car been sitting? Gas will solidify in the bottom of the tank and in the lines (don't ask me how I know) thus clogging everything.

Couple years but I emptied the tank when it was parked.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

Check for spark. Pull a plug wire, insert a spare spark plug, touch the body of the plug on the engine case, away from the belt and have a second person crank the car over. You should see a spark at the plug. If not, test at the coil output high tension lead.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
The fuel pump relies on gravity flow of fuel from the tank. I have found that if the tank is near empty (say if it has only a couple gallons in it) then it can be hard to get that gravity flow started. If the ass end of the car is elevated, forget it.

Add more gas to the tank and/or elevate the front of the car until you get gas at the fuel pump (pull the fuel supply hose off the fuel pump and verify that gas is flowing out via gravity from the tank).

Separately of course make sure you have spark, make sure the wires are ordered the correct way around the distributor cap etc.

Back end isn't jacked up but I did put in only 2 or 3 gallons. I can put more in but another problem has popped up. After trying a bit of gas in the carb I noticed gas leaking from the right side intake port around the coupler. Seems to be a bit serious Shocked I assume if that coupler is too worn I'm looking at another engine pull to fix?
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Check for spark. Pull a plug wire, insert a spare spark plug, touch the body of the plug on the engine case, away from the belt and have a second person crank the car over. You should see a spark at the plug. If not, test at the coil output high tension lead.

Thanks Jim, that was next step until I noticed I have a gas leak on the right side intake port where the coupler is. I assume this is an engine pull to address? Looked like quite a bit of gas.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

New intake boots are done with the engine installed. Loosen the center assemble and the other sides boot. Remove end casting nuts and washers. Wiggle end casting off and out. Remove old boot. Clean intake. Install new boots. Reverse order to reinstall.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 SB autostick engine not rotating Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
New intake boots are done with the engine installed. Loosen the center assemble and the other sides boot. Remove end casting nuts and washers. Wiggle end casting off and out. Remove old boot. Clean intake. Install new boots. Reverse order to reinstall.

Thanks Jim, I'm glad you said that...I really didn't want to pull the engine for the 2nd time this week. I'm wrapping for up for day, thanks for everyone's help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: