Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front disc brakes: What options are out there?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Front disc brakes: What options are out there? Reply with quote

What options are there to replace the front disc brakes, without having to mill or change too much, i have an early type stub axle so have the Girling twin pot calipers on at the moment.

I dont have spacers on my setup as my alloys bolt straight on so i dont want to be altering too much.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

oh man...you're not a Sambanista until you use the force!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/search.php?q=vanagon%20front%20dusc%20brake%20mods

...and welcome to the Forum!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

\

yeah cheers for that, i am aware how this stuff works, searching is a nightmare on these forums sometimes so its easier and more to the point of getting an answer back. instead of trawling through millions of unwarranted threads
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

your lucky, your in the UK so you can purchase from Epytec:
https://epytec.de/en/FilterResult/index/value/mark...ult/247227

TUV approved systems.

Paul
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
your lucky, your in the UK so you can purchase from Epytec:
https://epytec.de/en/FilterResult/index/value/mark...ult/247227

TUV approved systems.

Paul

yeah i used them for my rear disc conversion i done, good company. Im just wondering if i can change the caliper only but keep the original disc in place.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

as far as I know, there aren't any upgrades for the early front that doesn't involve altering alot of the parts..

I run the BMW calipers w/ mercedes vented rotor arrangement
which required the services of a machinist. they're not any larger in diam, so you can use the 14in wheels. they only add ventilation to the van. which I find should have been done from the factory as stock minimal.

but someone else may chime in.. I'd be curious to know as well.

steveo9007 wrote:
What options are there to replace the front disc brakes, without having to mill or change too much, i have an early type stub axle so have the Girling twin pot calipers on at the moment.

I dont have spacers on my setup as my alloys bolt straight on so i dont want to be altering too much.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
as far as I know, there aren't any upgrades for the early front that doesn't involve altering alot of the parts..

I run the BMW calipers w/ mercedes vented rotor arrangement
which required the services of a machinist. they're not any larger in diam, so you can use the 14in wheels. they only add ventilation to the van. which I find should have been done from the factory as stock minimal.

but someone else may chime in.. I'd be curious to know as well.

steveo9007 wrote:

yeah its a bit of an issue with my brick, as its an in between year so i have a late radius rod setup but with an early stub axle, i have seen some have machined the caliper mating surface down to accommodate other caliper carrier adapters to fit but im looking for a simple option. dunno why VW did this cos it causes me a headache when ordering parts for it as early and late parts have been fitted.
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

Looking further it looks like an option is to fit a hub conversion kit like what Gowesty do, then no more replacing the bearings when fitting new discs, but still have to overcome the caliper fitting.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

steveo9007 wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

\

yeah cheers for that, i am aware how this stuff works, searching is a nightmare on these forums sometimes so its easier and more to the point of getting an answer back. instead of trawling through millions of unwarranted threads

You can use Google to search the samba domain directly, lots easier than using the search on here

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

If I understand your question you have early calipers which are fixed and a piston on each side of the caliper?
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
If I understand your question you have early calipers which are fixed and a piston on each side of the caliper?

yes this is correct. these are them split in half when i refurbed them a couple years ago, and my stub axle is an early one, LCA and Radius rod are late though.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

My experience is that the early caliper design is better than the later floater design. I would not be so quick to toss them if the only change desired is different calipers.

This caliper can be modified for a vented rotor by adding a spacer between the halves. Porsche 911's used this caliper for quite a few years.
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
My experience is that the early caliper design is better than the later floater design. I would not be so quick to toss them if the only change desired is different calipers.

This caliper can be modified for a vented rotor by adding a spacer between the halves. Porsche 911's used this caliper for quite a few years.

That’s interesting to know, any where I can read up on that if this is the case ??
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

If you could find a period correct 911 calipers you'd have all you needed. Basically it's just a flat plate with bolt holes through it and a place for the O rings to seat.

I looked at adding vented rotors to our 82, but the steering knuckle is right up against the disc already, so the only way to add a vented disc is for it to be on the out board side which might make it difficult to center the caliper on the wider disc using the stock mounting.
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
If you could find a period correct 911 calipers you'd have all you needed. Basically it's just a flat plate with bolt holes through it and a place for the O rings to seat.

I looked at adding vented rotors to our 82, but the steering knuckle is right up against the disc already, so the only way to add a vented disc is for it to be on the out board side which might make it difficult to center the caliper on the wider disc using the stock mounting.

thanks for the info i will have a search. Very Happy
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

steveo9007 wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

thanks for the info i will have a search. Very Happy

i see what you mean now
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

what braking problems are you having?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

indeed how hilly is the UK?
I didn't need updated brakes will I went to the Mountains.. real Mountains..
where before I'd have to engine brake and still have fade.. yes I flush brake fluids and replace pads before they're old/glazed..

so I went with the BMW 7 series caliper and Mercedes 300 rotor option.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381146
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steveo9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
what braking problems are you having?

not having braking problems they are good, im just looking at options that's all, i have rear disc converted my van now so they are good all round.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brakes, what options are out there Reply with quote

[quote="valvecovergasket"]
steveo9007 wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

\

You can use Google to search the samba domain directly, lots easier than using the search on here

That was the Google search in the upper right of the forum index page!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: