Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Used brake drum measurements
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Used brake drum measurements Reply with quote

Perhaps I should be posting this in the stupid questions thread in the late Bug forum but the depth of knowledge seems even greater here. Smile

I'm looking for 2 measurements off of a used late Bug 4 lug brake drum. I'm trying to determine where the brake shoes run.

Dimension 1 is a measurement from the inside lip of the brake drum to the inside face of the hub where it butts up to the seal race/spacer on the axle.

Dimension 2 is from the inside lip of the drum to wear line left in that drum from the inboard edge of the brake shoes.

What I'm trying to determine is if the location of the inboard edge of the brake shoes changed when they went from the older 30mm wide rear brakes to the 1968 up 40mm wide rear brakes.

I can check when I get home but I think I got 34mm from the inside lip of the drum to the hub face and 3.5mm from that lip to the inboard shoe wear line. I have this stuff written down and am looking to see what has to be changed to run '68 up backing plates with '65-'67 brake drums (as received.) They have 41mm of machined surface for the shoes. VW seemed to target about 4mm of in/out room but 1mm is enough if you do it right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: