Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Dharma Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jockomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I don't se any stickers proudly displayed, are those straight out of the box?, or have they visited one of the qualified type 4 head rebuilders for a tweak before you install them?
How about compression?, doing any calculations yet?

They are right out of the box. I know I should send them in and may still do that someday. But I don't want to spend to much on this gex engine, at least not at this point. I just need to get it running because it's sort of my daily driver.

I haven't done any calculations or measurements yet. There are more pictures and questions to come.

So no loctite on these guys huh?

Thank you cliveawn. Your Truma heater is the only picture I've ever seen of one. For a long time we called that hole in the floor the "toilet". I just have a piece of wood (that came with the bus when I got it) covering the hole.
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jockomo wrote:
So no loctite on these guys huh?

Nope. Tighten them in good and they will fine. No heavy torque required. Plus they will be easier to remove when you have them rebuilt one day.

I thought AMC hardware was getting better in the last few of years but I haven't been paying attention lately. Don't need to - got a pair of Adrian 2L heads stashed away for my next build Very Happy .
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh...., I missed the GEX part, regardless I've reached an age or time in my life when pulling motors really sucks when it could have easily been prevented by dropping extra bucks for better parts and careful building, my time is better spent doing the job as good as can be just once and that leaves me more time for higher priority stuff that doesn't involve crawling around under a dead bus. Wink

Green Locktite if you wish but none is needed, if the double nuts start slipping it's approaching too tight.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Jockomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dharma Bus Reply with quote

My brake servo was leaking fluid so I decided to change it and the master cylinder out.

I ordered replacement hoses from bus depot, but I'm not sure I've got the right things.

The hose from the refill reservoir to the twin chamber reservoir seems a bit long. Should I just cut this to size and flare the end? Whats the best way to do that if so?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And this is from what I understand an air hose? (highlighted in red)

I assumed it was a short hose that attached to a metal tube that goes under the beam to the wheel well, which you can see highlighted in the pic below. I think it's a metal tube? Where does this even go?

I think they were out of the part I need there, I'm guessing that's what this is? https://www.busdepot.com/j18127
I ordered 2 hoses because it wasn't clear which one I needed. I also ordered the mysteriously vague "Hose for brake booster servo" https://www.busdepot.com/211611939
But I don't even know what this is for now. Do I need this or is it for FI?

I'm also curious if there's anything I can do while the booster and Master Cylinder are out, like check the pushrod length.

Should I install the new Master Cylinder onto the booster before mounting it in the bus? Bentley seems to indicate to remove and replace the MC while the Servo is mounted, but I'm not sure if maybe it's just how the book is organized.

Unfortunately I didn't find a ratwell proceedure (anyone know of another refrence?) I found this http://www.misterfixit.com/brakbld1.htm

Any other suggestions and advice are welcome!
Thanks!
Jockomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dharma Bus Reply with quote

I'm still stumped on this issue. Specifically the hose that goes to the lower reservoir. I've ordered every hose I can find and none of them work. Anyone have any ideas?

This is the lower reservoir that I have:
https://www.busdepot.com/211611313k

But that hose doesnt fit. I've asked Bus Depot about it several times but they never get back to me.

I ordered another hose from Germany.
https://www.justkampers.com.au/211611805-brake-reservoir-pipe-t2-bay-1973-1979-brazilian-bay.html

Thats not it either.

If you look at the reservoir, you can see the hose has to make a 90 degree turn, not 180.

I'm about to order this: https://www.busdepot.com/211611313j
But to be honest, I don't even know if that will work.

Can anyone please fill me in on what the hell is supposed to be going on down there? I don't know if the fact that the bus was originally intended for the european market matters. Like would the master cylinder be located in a different place? How can this possibly fit? https://www.busdepot.com/211611805 What even is that picture? This setup is as elusive as bigfoot.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Dharma Bus Reply with quote

Jockomo wrote:

I assumed it was a short hose that attached to a metal tube that goes under the beam to the wheel well, which you can see highlighted in the pic below. I think it's a metal tube? Where does this even go?

Thanks!

Not sure on your other question but that highlight red hose through the wheelwell on my '79 is plastic, not metal.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dharma Bus Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Jockomo wrote:

Thanks!

Not sure on your other question but that highlight red hose through the wheelwell on my '79 is plastic, not metal.

Mine is plastic on my 76 Westy and it is just a breather hose that goes into a cavity at the top of the wheel well where it meets the panel. I guess that's the highest place it can reach to stay out of the water/wet and not suck moisture back into the brake unit diaphragm.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Dharma Bus Reply with quote

It looks like the whiteish hose you've ordered is indented to be "modified" to work on later Buses. I imagine that means cut to length.

When I had my beam apart last year, I installed the booster, then installed the master cylinder. If nothing else, it is a little less unwieldy that way.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: