Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Safety and care
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Engine Safety and care Reply with quote

I have a question. I have a 1776 Engine barely broke in. 500 or so miles on it. I pulled the engine to replace the trans. It has been over 2 years now. (Injury related and laziness) I have it on an engine stand, long block, no oil in it. I have never rotated the engine since it is out, not even once. Am I in trouble when it comes time to turning it over? Should I put some Mystery Oil in the spark plug holes before I turn it over? What are some suggestions before I do anything? It ran real good before I pulled it too.
Thanks all!
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Safety and care Reply with quote

I would loosen up the rockers and take the pressure off of the valve springs.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Safety and care Reply with quote

Forget about all the witchcraft and VooDoo ritual dances. Put oil and fresh gas in it and fire the bitch up.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Maxpower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Safety and care Reply with quote

I agree with racer Dave a newer motor there shouldn't be any reason it won't fire up and run. If you want to do anything just disconnect the ignition and crank to build oil pressure.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Safety and care Reply with quote

pull plugs, spin over to get good oil pressure(if it had good pressure to satrt with) then replace plugs and start that bitch up.or if it has stock cam&springs do as davy said.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Safety and care Reply with quote

X3 on what Dave said.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Safety and care Reply with quote

I would make sure it turns over 360 degrees by hand before going through the trouble of installing it, but looks like you’re in a dry climate so the risk of having rust issues in the cylinders is probably low.

I’m with Dave, if you can turn it through a revolution by hand, then add oil and fire it up.
steve n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Safety and care Reply with quote

Looks like you all for just go for it. I know there is a lot of knowledge here. This is the place where knowledge is tapped.I just have never been in this situation before. I can't put oil in it until the engine is in the car anyways. I will be running a remote oil filter (high up in the fender) so oil will be put in later. Still, you think no problem turning it over by hand ahead of time with no oil in the cylinders? I will not install the engine without turning it over first. I DO NOT want pull it out again. I'm not a newbie to VWs, but I am to a new engine sitting for 2+ years. No one but me here either. No VW buds to look for help. Education is acquired, so that's why I'm tapping in. (I would spray WD40 in it if the majority said so)
What say you ?
Thanks again!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: