Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions Reply with quote

any good suggestions for what to do if you cut into the oil galley from the cooler thats between 3 & 4?
i did some searching but its a little difficult to narrow down results with such a specific subject...
the only thing i did find was someone suggested driving a tube down into the galley. didnt seem like a bad idea except for getting the size just right, using a thin enough tube to not restrict oil flow while still being able to drive it in without collapsing it..

and yeh yeh, ill admit i nicked the galley while cutting #3 ... its about big enough to get you thumbnail in and 1/4 long.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions Reply with quote

Shocked

Lemme guess.........Drill press case cutter contraption?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Shocked

Laughing Laughing i did that once enlarging oil galleys. with only one c clamp. boy did that sucker squeek!!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions Reply with quote

Is it the cooler feed, or the return to the bearings?
Personally, I would plug it as needed, and then resupply a cooler with the full flow system. You could even tap and supply the cooler in the stock location like the type 4 upright conversion does it
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions Reply with quote

Sleeve it.
Same thing the factory did.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Shocked

did you call ms. Cleo? heh heh
its actually not the tool's fault, ive had good success with it on multiple cases. and its a far cry better than the last one i paid to have cut on a milling machine and the cylinders clunked around in the case like someone ringing a dinner bell...
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions Reply with quote

alright, so sleeved it is. i measured that gallery and got 15/32, closest tubing i could find was 1/2" od. so i grabbed a 3' piece of aluminum and stainless steel. after researching expansion rates aluminum was a lot closer to magnesium ( figured it would be ) but i did learn that s.s. has a higher expansion rate than mild steel, by a fair amount.
so after 2 attempts on one junk case and a final trial on a second i had a system.
since i dont have a milling machine or lathe i had to drill out the galley on the ol drill press to 4" deep. then using fancy shmancy tubing cutter i cut the aluminum tubing to 3 3/4". then chucked up the piece of tubing in my dewalt drill to chamfer and bevel the edges, and also sand off a few thousandths with a little 180 grit DA paper.
then i put the little piece o pipe in the freezer to chill whilst i heated up the case with the ol butane torch. im pretty sure one guy in the shop gets a little excited when i put direct flame to magnesium..
then i used a bolt that i cut down and also chucked into my dewalt and spun the head of the bolt against the grinder to get it nice and round and fit into the oil cooler recess.
with frozen tubing on my modified bolt driver and a dozen or so taps from the hammer it found its way into a new home.

i hope you people were entertained, it doesnt look like much else is going on round here so thought id give yall something to read
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions Reply with quote

So you stuck it in dry?
no lube or sealant?

Yes thanks for the entertainment
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions Reply with quote

Drill press machined case, drill bit finished hole, 180 grit finish on the tube, and hammered into the hole dry.....

Hurry up and put the rest of it together. I wanna see how it ends up.

Brian
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions Reply with quote

if youve never just hammered it in dry you aint a real man
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions Reply with quote

just incase anyone is google-ing what to do because they had the same issue, results are good so far. engine has an hour run time on it including break in and is maintaining good oil pressure. so kiddos, just because you don't have a $5000 milling machine doesn't mean you gotta give up.

also for the record, i did use lube. i also ate lunch and took a shit that same day, none of which i saw needing to be essential information so i left those out of my original post of how i sleeved the case, kinda just a given i figured.
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions Reply with quote

Yes, yes. But did you wash your hands, afterwards?

That's an important detail. That, and what lube you used. We need to know that so we can spark up a debate to rival break-in oil threads....
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: nicked oil galley between 3 & 4 suggestions Reply with quote

use gloves?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: