Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnydot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I have a one of these over head units and an under dash unit and wanted to set both up what pump would you suggest I use ?
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Denso 10PA17C compressor has been bulletproof in my bus.
jonnydot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Hi Guy's I hail from Goonellabah Australia. I have managed to acquire a DPD over head unit (rare as rocking horse shit in Aus) It is pretty much complete. I wish to set it up using an electric pump ,whilst I am fairly adept at mechanical installations/repairs I have no knowledge of what size pump I will require and what information I need to glean to instigate a search for the little beasty. As I will be doing a bare metal restoration I am able to fully insulate the bus (1976 Camper 2.0 engine) to minimize heat transference and leakage of cool air and ingress of hot. SOOOO one and all what do I need? can I pull a unit and high voltage network from a Prius or some other vehicle and what amperage alternator should I use? Suggestions Please and many thanks for reading
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

jonnydot wrote:
Hi Guy's I hail from Goonellabah Australia. I have managed to acquire a DPD over head unit (rare as rocking horse shit in Aus) It is pretty much complete. I wish to set it up using an electric pump ,whilst I am fairly adept at mechanical installations/repairs I have no knowledge of what size pump I will require and what information I need to glean to instigate a search for the little beasty. As I will be doing a bare metal restoration I am able to fully insulate the bus (1976 Camper 2.0 engine) to minimize heat transference and leakage of cool air and ingress of hot. SOOOO one and all what do I need? can I pull a unit and high voltage network from a Prius or some other vehicle and what amperage alternator should I use? Suggestions Please and many thanks for reading

Greetings Cobber. Consensus is that electric compressor is not a viable option:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725017&highlight=electric+compressor
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=171566&postorder=desc

Search the forums some more, there's been a lot of good conversation about A/C.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Electric AC compressor will need to be 20,000 to 30,000 BTU capacity to cool a bus, which will probably require an extra 160-240 amps from a 12V system. Once you add another 60-70 amps required to run the cooling fans and the rest of the electrical system, you need over 300 amps.

I’m sure there’s a commercial duty Alternator out there somewhere that would produce that much power, just have to figure out how to mount it and wire it with cables big enough to handle that much current (think stranded welding cables)
Duncancarradice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just working on the restore on my DPD overhead unit. Was removed from the van when I bought it.

Can’t work out if there are some internals missing or not from the from section. Cold air blows in from the two evaporator fans, each controlled with a seperate 3 speed switch, but the air would just mix and go to whichever vent was open. Don’t see the point of seperate switches then?

Is there some ducting that goes from each evaporator fan to the vent on the same side?

Please post any photos of how you have insulated this on restore

Many thanks
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I removed a DPD overhead assembly from a 1972 bus and installed it on a 71 bus several years ago... this is what it looked like as removed. I assume the dual blowers were the equivalent of "Max A/C" instead of driver/passenger air like a modern car.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duncancarradice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I removed a DPD overhead assembly from a 1972 bus and installed it on a 71 bus several years ago... this is what it looked like as removed. I assume the dual blowers were the equivalent of "Max A/C" instead of driver/passenger air like a modern car.

Fantastic. That answers my Q, thanks!!
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I made my own internal baffles out of polystyrene foam to separate left and right side air from the fans. Wish I had taken some pictures of it, but I highly recommend lining the interior of this duct with some kind of encapsulated foam insulation (something that won’t absorb water). The plastic gets very cold otherwise and will sweat condensate all over you. I don’t have this problem on mine but I have heard from others, who did not insulate theirs, that it will sweat badly
Duncancarradice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
I made my own internal baffles out of polystyrene foam to separate left and right side air from the fans. Wish I had taken some pictures of it, but I highly recommend lining the interior of this duct with some kind of encapsulated foam insulation (something that won’t absorb water). The plastic gets very cold otherwise and will sweat condensate all over you. I don’t have this problem on mine but I have heard from others, who did not insulate theirs, that it will sweat badly

Thanks, have just picked up a roll of cork tape for the evaporator coil and going to use that to line the plastic too. Just finished painting
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

That looks great! Decent examples of those old DPD parts are getting hard to find.

I remember using 1/4" semi-rigid polystyrene foam insulation from Home Depot. You can buy it in large sheets and just cut the pieces you need and trim to fit with scissors. You can sandwich them together to make left and right side channels to the vents, and spray on latex based contact cement works great to stick everything together (regular contact cement will melt the foam). After I glued all the foam lining and air channels in place, I cut a piece of foil backed fiberglass insulation and taped it over the top with aluminum tape. I found that the extra padding from the insulation also protects the headliner from the sharp edges of the plastic and just makes the whole thing quieter.

The only other thing I wish I had done is to replace the 3 position fan switches and resistor blocks with modern Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) switches. This gives full variable speed operation of the fans with no electrical losses. On my system, I find the middle setting to be not much more than the low setting, so I'm always using either the lowest setting or the highest, but somewhere in the middle would be nice. I've also found the dual fan controls are very valuable, if you have passengers that like more or less air than you do. The fans are very powerful.
Duncancarradice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

This is how I've done mine. Wasnt able to get any EPS/XPS board less then 10mm thick, used stick on flexible closed cell foam instead and polystyrene channel down the middle. PWM switches are on the way. The cork tape was way too heavy and not sticky enough to use for this purpose

69BahamaYellow wrote:
That looks great! Decent examples of those old DPD parts are getting hard to find.

I remember using 1/4" semi-rigid polystyrene foam insulation from Home Depot. You can buy it in large sheets and just cut the pieces you need and trim to fit with scissors. You can sandwich them together to make left and right side channels to the vents, and spray on latex based contact cement works great to stick everything together (regular contact cement will melt the foam). After I glued all the foam lining and air channels in place, I cut a piece of foil backed fiberglass insulation and taped it over the top with aluminum tape. I found that the extra padding from the insulation also protects the headliner from the sharp edges of the plastic and just makes the whole thing quieter.

The only other thing I wish I had done is to replace the 3 position fan switches and resistor blocks with modern Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) switches. This gives full variable speed operation of the fans with no electrical losses. On my system, I find the middle setting to be not much more than the low setting, so I'm always using either the lowest setting or the highest, but somewhere in the middle would be nice. I've also found the dual fan controls are very valuable, if you have passengers that like more or less air than you do. The fans are very powerful.
Balidas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Just picked up this style last week. Drove 4 hours one way to get it but it will be worth it. Unit looks like it could put out some near hurricane force winds. Smile

I have no clue what year this is.

The other 2 parts.

This is the worst of the damage I have here. I could probably fix that with JB Weld.

I have already taken things apart. I'm going to pull all the glued down mats & possibly replace it all with this;

https://www.eastwood.com/hushmat-1-4-silencer-mega...22410.html

This should also help to reinforce these pieces to prevent breaking, splitting....

After prepping I'm thinking to spray the outsides with Raptor Lining. Hopefully to help prevent these pieces from disintegrating into dust like I've seen so many other pieces do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

I've got the DPD overhead unit in my '71 panel. It used to work good, but the expansion valve failed (low side pressure ~20 psi, high side ~140 psi). Anybody know of a generic replacement part (same size / flow rate)?
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
I've got the DPD overhead unit in my '71 panel. It used to work good, but the expansion valve failed (low side pressure ~20 psi, high side ~140 psi). Anybody know of a generic replacement part (same size / flow rate)?

you have a photo of it? i think i know which one you need. p/m me if you want. i may forget to check back in to the thread

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
go talk with ICEAutoAir. They will know. You may have to purge and update the system to a later refrigerant if you still use R-12. Are you sure you aren't low on refrigerant? Do you have a sight glass in the rd?

3275 Market Street
San Diego, CA 92102-3318
SALES: 800-845-0424

r-12 chart

r-134a chart

telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

Steve:
Yes, it does have a sight glass, which was, curiously, the failure point - its seal failed. Installed a new o-ring, pressurized and leak tested the system - no more leaks. Oil in pump OK. Did a purge and recharge with Aeromech (he has a refrigeration vacuum pump). Worked good for a while. One day, no more cold. Put the gauges on it and found the low side pressure very low and the high side normal to high. Compresssor drive belt under high load. Used to be able to hear the freon bubbling thru the evaporator - now, nothing. Obviously, no refrigerant flowing.

Yes, I have enough R12 for a charge. {NOT for sale...}

Don:
When I get ambitious, pull the unit back off the ceiling, and get the black stuff removed, I'll p/m you with a pic of the valve.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Steve:
Yes, it does have a sight glass, which was, curiously, the failure point - its seal failed. Installed a new o-ring, pressurized and leak tested the system - no more leaks. Oil in pump OK. Did a purge and recharge with Aeromech (he has a refrigeration vacuum pump). Worked good for a while. One day, no more cold. Put the gauges on it and found the low side pressure very low and the high side normal to high. Compresssor drive belt under high load. Used to be able to hear the freon bubbling thru the evaporator - now, nothing. Obviously, no refrigerant flowing.

Yes, I have enough R12 for a charge. {NOT for sale...}

Don:
When I get ambitious, pull the unit back off the ceiling, and get the black stuff removed, I'll p/m you with a pic of the valve.

a common point of failure is the receiver dryer perforates and scatters the dryer throughout the system. That plugs things. You'll likely need to pull it down, purge and flush it, put a new RD in it, and start over if that is it. Make sure when you do that the pump seal isn't leaking at all or you will be back in it again.

If you had a low side of 20, a high side of 140 as you posted, and it was 75F outside, then that pressure was correct. I have seen units ice up and deliver no cold. My CJ7 did that on long trips.

78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

In Northeast Georgia I saw a nearly gutted 1974 tintop with the internals of the DPD intact. Is it worth pulling that for spares when I eventually get to my 1978, or will they be too different?

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD Air Conditioning for type 2 bus? FAQ Reply with quote

78BusGA wrote:
In Northeast Georgia I saw a nearly gutted 1974 tintop with the internals of the DPD intact. Is it worth pulling that for spares when I eventually get to my 1978, or will they be too different?

I'd pull it if you plan on having AC. Sunroof bus cannot use the overhead one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: