Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 Squareback Restomod
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

iamnotatwork wrote:

Thoughts on all this?

I realize you've got 6 cases already, but I really my ALL Aluminum 1600 style case. Being aluminum, you can weld on it IF needed, stays more stable (like a t-4 case) when machined, plus it's new and not already worn out.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong, but those cases run about $1,000...

I just don't see how I could work that into the budget...

Bobnotch wrote:

I realize you've got 6 cases already, but I really my ALL Aluminum 1600 style case.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! Can you elaborate on the web cam you linked? As in how it is different...

Stupid question - if I picked up the cam you mentioned and used it with the rest of the kit from mofoco, would it just drop in or with the bearings be different?

W1K1 wrote:
the 1904cc is a nice solid engine in the Type 3, mine was
74 x 90.5 , L3 heads, web 163 was a great cam the power band was 1500-5000, it pulled the whole time, ideal for a daily driver to keep up with modern traffic.
I think the engle cam profiles are pretty dated, and there are better choices to be had now from Web or CB.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Web-Cam-Type-1-Camshaft-Grind-163-1-1-or-1-25-p/00-212.htm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

iamnotatwork wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but those cases run about $1,000...

I just don't see how I could work that into the budget...

Bobnotch wrote:

I realize you've got 6 cases already, but I really like my ALL Aluminum 1600 style case.

In my case, the case came with the MOFOCO engine I had them build.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

the Web cam would be a straight swap for the Engle. I went round and round with cams on mine, I even have a Engle W110 that I tried on a previous engine in the square, and didn't like it, the cam came on at 2500 and pulled to 5000 redline, it just seemed like a dog below the 2500rpm.
John at aircooled.net recommended the web 163 as well as a few others on the samba, over the W110, it was a far better choice for my build, and daily driving.
It is still in my 1968cc, 74 x 92, with 35.5 x 40 panchito's

iamnotatwork wrote:
Thanks for the reply! Can you elaborate on the web cam you linked? As in how it is different...

Stupid question - if I picked up the cam you mentioned and used it with the rest of the kit from mofoco, would it just drop in or with the bearings be different?

W1K1 wrote:
the 1904cc is a nice solid engine in the Type 3, mine was
74 x 90.5 , L3 heads, web 163 was a great cam the power band was 1500-5000, it pulled the whole time, ideal for a daily driver to keep up with modern traffic.
I think the engle cam profiles are pretty dated, and there are better choices to be had now from Web or CB.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Web-Cam-Type-1-Camshaft-Grind-163-1-1-or-1-25-p/00-212.htm

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, well understood!

W1K1 wrote:
the Web cam would be a straight swap for the Engle.

vwkombi1966
Padawon Learner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

Hey there y'all! So here's the latest and greatest on Sean's 69 Square! There's been quite a bit of progress since the doors were completed! And it's been GREAT to see so many friends all volunteer their time to help build this classic dub into something fun, unique, and memorable! There's still much more to do, but I wanted to take a moment and give many thanks to Brandon and Brian for all the hours, skills, muscle, and beer thrown into making this square happen! Here's what happened after the doors:

So our first attempt at rear fender beading involved a few mis-cuts, poor hole placement, and more than a few "waves" in the beading along the top of the fender. 🙄 additionally, type 1 fender beading was used. Our first attempt yielded less than desirable results. So Sean opted to tear the fenders off the square, and do it again.. So with fenders taken off (again), we replaced the rather dubious weather stripping we acquired from Home depot that we originally used as a "work around" for not having the proper fresh air seals and fender well seals in the first place. I must go on record by saying this was NOT my greatest idea.. 😒

SO Sean bought the PROPER seals (ISP West I believe), and the fenders came off again. New seals were installed. Sean was not happy with how the Type 1 fender beading came out. So I made him a deal: I'll donate my Type 3 beading kit I bought for MY square, to his 69, and he can purchase some red fender beading for Scarlett (my 68 parked next to his) when we tear her down and restore her. So the 69 is rocking proper Type 3 beading (ISP West), and it looks GREAT! Sean and Brian hung the fenders and worked the top beading, while I was making relief cuts..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So next up is Sean decided to take my idea of putting lights in the fresh air vents to another level. He bought 4 LED light strips and a Bluetooth controller, and wired/installed the system. It looks AWESOME! And the fender beading came out pretty sweet as well. It's nice to see the right profile on his square! It came out SO WELL that I'll be following suit And doing the same for my 68! 🤔🤜🤛😁😈 And of course, since we had to play with the LEDs Sean installed for a bit! here's the "light show":

So after fooling around with lights and rear fenders, we kinda needed a change of pace, so I offered up both of my Type 4 engines to donate to the cause thinking that Sean could (hopefully) build one up to shove into his square. The first engine was completely rusted from the inside out. 😕 the pistons/cylinders/heads on the first engine were horrifically rusted, and since we only wanted the case, some "love hammer" and other "drastic" measures were used. The second engine turned out to be in a WAY better state, and is likely the case that Sean will build up. Here's how all THAT schenanagans went down..

SOMEWHERE in the middle of all this activity, I started work under I started working under the dash. Brandon and I got the fresh air boxes installed and hooked up, and started to wire up his dash. Also, we stole a set of more modern wiper arm shafts off Sean's 1970. So after Brandon (thanks for the assist dude!) and I swapped out the wiper shafts, I installed the wiper motor into the square. Now his wiper arms won't "wobble" off after the 1st time he uses them!

And here's Sean working his rear hatch seal

So after the rear fenders were properly installed, we focused on the front fenders. Kinda the same process we used before. It's really starting to look like a car again!

And doing what I do, I was working around everybody else installing what I could as space and opportunity allowed. I installed the front hood latch and squirt bottle, and started making relief cuts on the lower front fender beading, ran the electrical to the headlight buckets, spliced in the pig tails, and got the headlights installed. Sean polished up the beauty rings, and got them installed!

And that's as far as we got over the last 2 weeks! But I saved the best pic for last! My favourite by far. This just sums up Type 3 ownership:

well, that's all for this update! I hope to post more soon! But till then, I hope all your projects out there in Samba land are as fun as this one have been! Stay healthy, keep motivated, and keep dubbing y'all! 😁

- 1968 Squareback (Scarlett)
- 1969 Westy
iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

Great job on the update brother Dave!
vwkombi1966
Padawon Learner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

Hey everyone! It's been a few weeks since our last update so I figured it time to post what Sean, Brian and I have been up to!

For starters, I discovered that a project 71 square I own, had a 0 mile freeway flier in it. So Sean and I tossed the idea around, and we decided to get that tranny in Sean's 69! The PO of my 71 project had it completely rebuilt, but had a beetle(?) Hockey stick installed. I think he was ignorant about how to un-coupple a t-3 tranny. I dunno. Either way, we decided to replace it with a proper Type 3 nose cone and hockey stick. Here's how that went..

We also pack the CV joints while we were at it!

With the tranny put into proper working order, we set to work on getting all the access holes needed to accommodate a manual trans..

Next, we had to get the tranny coupler hooked up! We made a new access hole for the shift coupler. Unfortunately, we made the hole a little too big! So we're gonna find an alternate way to a fix the. Shift coupler plate a bit later. Likely involving some screws and metal straps. Well see later. For now, at least it's hooked up!

Next, we got to putting the tranny into its new home!

Next, we started working on getting the newly coupled trans to shift. After beating heads against the wall for 1/2 the day, Brian gave it a look, and got it to shift just GREAT!

I couldn't resist playing with the shifter after all our hard work! 😋 it shifts GREAT (thanks Brian!).

NEXT UPDATE: my first attempt at replacing pans..

- 1969 Westy
vwkombi1966
Padawon Learner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

It would seems that I've been slightly derelict in my duties of taking pics of our project lately. So in the spirit of "catching up", here's part 2 of "what we've been up to" over the last few weeks. Thanks to all for your encouragement and interest. Can't wait to see this square on the road! Here's my first pan replacement attempt ever:

Finding and removing cancer..

Test fitting, cut, repeat..

So now it's time to remove my original patch work. I was not entirely "proud" of that patch. Looked like S#!T. Glad we're replacing it right..

This was the moment I realized I'm gonna have to cut the rear kick panel for accessibility..

After Sean was happy with how it looked, I started getting it tacked and installed. Had to cut and remove the rear kick panel for access. I welded it back together at the end.

And here's me continuing on.

seems I cut too much away earlier, so I'll need to make a patch for the corner

Welding all day with a little 110v buzz box. Good times!

So Sean wasn't looking to build a show car here. Which opens up some options when welding in New metal. There was quite a bit of cancer back here in the battery tray area. So we got inventive. Chopped some bolts down, and used them for spacers..

finally done!

And now we're caught back up again! I'll post more as it happens y'all!

- 1969 Westy
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

Floor pans are easy compared to what you had already done. Looks good. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
leoasman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

Looking so good! Those lights in the air vents are a really cool addition!
iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

Yep, I ended up going this way... will post pics of the new 2276 shortly!

Bobnotch wrote:

I realize you've got 6 cases already, but I really my ALL Aluminum 1600 style case. Being aluminum, you can weld on it IF needed, stays more stable (like a t-4 case) when machined, plus it's new and not already worn out.

iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

The intended power unit for this car has changed considerably since this thread began in August of 2019.

I realized I had to increase the budget quite a bit to get what I wanted. I sold some things and picked up a 2276 long block from Keith Branch and Northwest VW Performance here in the PNW. Tim Hancock did the machining.

I know this topic is contentious so I post the internals hoping not to derail the thread too much lol

New Autolinea bubble top universal case, 8mm chromoly studs w/savers, full flowed, shuffle pinned
Empi/AA/CB 82mm 4340 VW Journal Crankshaft
Scat I beams with 3/8 ARP bolts
Forged AA 13 lb 8 dowel flywheel
AA 94mm stroker pistons/cylinders
Scat C95 (similar to Engle 125) with Scat lightweight window lifters
Straight cut gears
Manton Chromoly pushrods
Forged 1.25 rockers with Scat lash caps
Slightly used CB 044 heads with 42x37.5 valves, double springs, and fresh valve job
Schadek 30mm full flow ready pump
Scat 1 1/2 Quart reinforced deep sump

I'm adding:
Dual 44IDF's
Carter rotary fuel pump
Magnaspark

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

The engine pics are drool worthy. Cool Nice. Should make for a nice cruiser.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

Here is the engine tin cleaned, painted, and ready to install:

For the exhaust, I need 1 1/2" but was unable to find anything available in the next 6 weeks (edit: I did find one but it was not the style I wanted). Due to this, I went with a 1 3/8". I'll replace it with the larger size eventually...

iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

I am pretty stoked that I have a brand new engine for this build. Almost everything else in the car is new so this will go well with the 00000 odometer Smile

Bobnotch wrote:
The engine pics are drool worthy. Cool Nice. Should make for a nice cruiser.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

iamnotatwork wrote:
Here is the engine tin cleaned, painted, and ready to install:

For the exhaust, I need 1 1/2" but was unable to find anything available in the next 6 weeks (edit: I did find one but it was not the style I wanted). Due to this, I went with a 1 3/8". I'll replace it with the larger size eventually...

I'm kind of glad to see you didn't do a Clatter and gloss it all up. But then at the same time bummed you didn't, if you know what I mean. I know you're not building a "show car". But having gloss on some of the tin makes it easier to clean up BTDT.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

I'm right there with you! We did a bunch of tests and I did find something I liked but it would have required more labor to prep the tin so I went with satin black as you can see.

--> In the photo with the exhaust above, you can see some of the colors we were looking at...that piece of sheet metal in front of the Coke machine...

Bobnotch wrote:

I'm kind of glad to see you didn't do a Clatter and gloss it all up. But then at the same time bummed you didn't, if you know what I mean. I know you're not building a "show car". But having gloss on some of the tin makes it easier to clean up BTDT.

iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Squareback Restomod Reply with quote

It appears I could not just leave it alone... I ended up doing a bunch more paint tests for the engine tin and ultimately did paint everything again.

I was looking at a transparent red but didn't like the combo of this color with the car...left is one coat, right is two.

Next, I tried a number of blues:

I know that green is opposite on the color wheel relative to the main car color but I'm not into a green motor for this car so I went with one coat of transparent 'blue chrome' and then I fogged over the top with a dusting of transparent 'black chrome':

It looks much darker when out of the sun:

In the end, if I hate it, it's not that difficult to change!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: