Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12V and M610 Stencils on my 1967 Beetle engine tin
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: 12V and M610 Stencils on my 1967 Beetle engine tin Reply with quote

I created this post to give information about stenciling my engine tin.

Before doing a repaint of my original 1967 Beetle 1500cc engine tin/shroud, I decided I wanted to make sure the original stencil prints weren't lost. To do that, I enlisted the aid of Etsy artist and stencil creator, GlassyWitch ( Katherine Johnson: https://www.etsy.com/people/programmed2win ). She did a great job creating a reusable stencil for the 12V and several single use stencils for the M610 (had to be single use because of the "0" and "O".

GlassyWitch was very responsive and quickly mocked up the stencils for a very good price. She was the first one of the folks I contacted who said they could do the small "W5" (some of the stencil makers couldn't make such a small stencil - she had no problem).

Interestingly, I was looking through the 1100 font "families" on Adobe's website for a match for M610 font, and, although I only looked through about 40% of them, the one I found which matched the closest was called DIN. Afterwards, I did a little googling, and found the following information which makes me think this probably *is* the font used by VW for those stencils:
"It was defined by the German standards body DIN - Deutsches Institut für Normung (German Institute for Standardization), pronounced as "Din", in the standard sheet DIN 1451-Schriften (typefaces) in 1931.Similar standards existed for stencilled letters. Originally designed for industrial uses, the first DIN-type fonts were a simplified design that could be applied with limited technical difficulty. Due to the design's legibility and uncomplicated, unadorned design, it has become popular for general purpose use in signage and display adaptations. Many adaptations and expansions of the original design have been released digitally"

I don't believe GlassyWitch made the 12V in DIN, however the M610 may have been. I already had the proper sized square for the 12V, so I only asked her to do the 12V and W5 (without the square), although I'm sure she would have been happy to create to create the entire 12V W5 square stencil if I had provided her the sizes (The use of the stencil wasn't the best, 12V should be directly in middle of the square, but we didn't place everything quite right).

If you are looking for good looking stencils, GlassyWitch has them already made (if you want the full 12V stencil, you will need the measurement of the box), she is very responsive, and very easy to work with for all of your stenciling needs. It was kind of fun, and turned out so much better than me trying to stencil (or paint) them myself!

Here is the original 12V stencil on my generator cover
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the original M610 stencil (this was, strangely, on the back of my fan shroud)

Here are the 12V stencils GlassyWitch created for me (she gave me a couple of options)

Here are the M610 stencils GlassyWitch created for me (note, these had to be one off stencils because of the space in center of the "0" and "O" which would not be painted.)

Here is the final 12V stencil painted on my generator cover

Here is the final M610 stencil painted on the back of my fan shroud.

ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia

Last edited by harrymarlin on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 12V and M610 Stencils on my 1967 Beetle engine tin Reply with quote

nice!

What is the M610 wording for?

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V and M610 Stencils on my 1967 Beetle engine tin Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
nice!
What is the M610 wording for?
Bug On!

Good question ('cause I didn't know, either)! I read glutamodo describe it probably the best, when I was researching it:
glutamodo wrote:

M610 was a 1967 code meaning 12V. The only reason I can think of they stamped it there, was that they marked it there as a production stamp showing it was 12V. (VW was still making 6V cars for other markets at that time and had gone to larger diameter 6V generators on Ghia and Busses by then)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V and M610 Stencils on my 1967 Beetle engine tin Reply with quote

M610 is designation for 12 volts.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V and M610 Stencils on my 1967 Beetle engine tin Reply with quote

Harry, I'm doing the same thing now on my '67 since the engine is out and there is no time like the present. Could you get me the measurements of the box so I can get the stencils made up from Etsy? Also what did you use to apply whatever you used (paint, ink, etc)?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V and M610 Stencils on my 1967 Beetle engine tin Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Could you get me the measurements of the box so I can get the stencils made up from Etsy?

Your money, you do what you like but if it was me, i would print it on a transparency and cut it with an xacto or sharp blade. Instant cheap and quick stencil.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V and M610 Stencils on my 1967 Beetle engine tin Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Harry, I'm doing the same thing now on my '67 since the engine is out and there is no time like the present. Could you get me the measurements of the box so I can get the stencils made up from Etsy? Also what did you use to apply whatever you used (paint, ink, etc)?

Awesome. I'm assuming you are going to buy directly through Glassywitch (in my first post) - she may give you a deal as she doesn't have to do any more work than print out the last ones she made for me. I will check on what it was painted with (I don't have that info on me - it was paint).

I will look at my notes for the size of the box and post back.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 12V and M610 Stencils on my 1967 Beetle engine tin Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
I will look at my notes for the size of the box and post back.

Size of the 12V (with "W5") box, for me was, 2 3/8" x 1.5"
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V and M610 Stencils on my 1967 Beetle engine tin Reply with quote

Thank you Harry! Yes I’ll be ordering from her, I’ll probably put a bit of rustoleum in a pan and roll it over the stencil.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: