Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about temperature gauge
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJfierce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Question about temperature gauge Reply with quote

I recently installed a new thermostat and a coolant temperature gauge sensor after my ‘84 started having some overheating problems. Everything seems to be running okay now, but I noticed my gauge seems to stay at 3/4 now, where before it would sit in the middle right on the LED. Is this something to be concerned about or is it normal?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about temperature gauge Reply with quote

put the old sensor back in. if the gauge returns to 'normal' you know the replacement sensor is off spec. if the gauge remains in the same place, you know the new thermostat is running hotter.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about temperature gauge Reply with quote

My new sensor was off, so I got another and it was off too. Then I adjusted it with a GoWesty kit after I was assured of the temp.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about temperature gauge Reply with quote

Good work. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about temperature gauge Reply with quote

New sensors read different. You should get something like the GoWesty temp gauge calibration kit to calibrate your temperature gauge.

If I remember correctly you install the variable resistor inline with your temp gauge and start the van. You let it run until the radiator fan kicks on. Then you adjust the resistor until its at about 3/4 on the gauge. That is it to the calibration.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about temperature gauge Reply with quote

Echoing what others have said, the new sensors are way off. My van originally had the round style plug for the gauge sensor and all the aftermarket ones read way high. In the end I got an official square plug sensor from VW and snipped a pigtail off a junkyard cabriolet to splice in. Works great now.
ddowsett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about temperature gauge Reply with quote

Could this same issue result in NO MOVEMENT OF GAUGE at all?

I suspect I have a new wiring/electrical problem.

The thermostat housing cracked where temperature sensor is inserted. That caused the temperature sensor and most of my coolant to erupt all over the driveway. I replaced upper and lower thermostat housing with aluminum from GoWesty, new thermostat (tested in boiling water) and new temp sensor.

Coolant added, system bled, no leaks found.

All seemed good but then noticed that my temp gauge now doesn't move at all.

Any thoughts for possible causes? GoWesty does not think the $6.95 new temp sensor is at fault as that does not usually fail. So may just be coincidence that something electrical happened at the same time.

Thanks in advance!
Denise
ddowsett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about temperature gauge Reply with quote

Could this same issue result in NO MOVEMENT OF GAUGE at all?

I suspect I have a new wiring/electrical problem.

The thermostat housing cracked where temperature sensor is inserted. That caused the temperature sensor and most of my coolant to erupt all over the driveway. I replaced upper and lower thermostat housing with aluminum from GoWesty, new thermostat (tested in boiling water) and new temp sensor.

Coolant added, system bled, no leaks found.

All seemed good but then noticed that my temp gauge now doesn't move at all.

Any thoughts for possible causes? GoWesty does not think the $6.95 new temp sensor is at fault as that does not usually fail. So may just be coincidence that something electrical happened at the same time.

Thanks in advance!
Denise
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about temperature gauge Reply with quote

take the terminal off the sender and put it direct to ground. should peg the gauge out.

if it doesn't, you have a electrical problem. (you need to have the key on to do this)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ddowsett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about temperature gauge Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the fast reply!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: