Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 Aircooled With Some Odd Problems
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostlyHalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 82 Aircooled With Some Odd Problems Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Whatever you do, don't buy ebay injectors. They aren't the right size and they come pre corroded! What a waste of money! They are too short and will wobble around, not making a great seal and potentially leaking gas out and setting your van on fire. I cut the old rubber bushings in half to create 1 1/2 rubber bushing space and now they fit tight, but I don't trust them now. What are the chances the fuel flow rate is correct? Confused

I am sending my old injectors off and will be throwing these in the garbage when my originals are back.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ouch, thanks for the word of caution! That is quite the difference between those two!

Just sent the injectors off to mr injector this morning! now the waiting game Smile
GhostlyHalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 Aircooled With Some Odd Problems Reply with quote

Injectors are arriving tomorrow. His email to me said they cleaned up perfectly (hooray!).

Last time I ran it, everything was good at idle for about 20-30 mins. Then I opened the throttle a bit. Only to about 2000-2500 rpms and was good for a bit, then it started acting funny like there was some sort of vac leak. So I let it go back down to idle (950ish) and it started hunting. Which confirmed my leak suspicion. Turns out my driver side valve cover was leaking oil. I know it was on there correctly, and wasn’t leaking at all during that 30 mins of idle. But it was letting out a good amount of oil and had air blowing out of it.
From my understanding, there shouldn’t be that much oil in the valve cover, and it shouldn’t have much pressure at all. This leads me to believe that I have worn exhaust valve guides causing a bypass of that pressure into the valve cover. I just took the cover off today and there is a drop of oil sitting on the spring for cyl 4 exhaust valve. Cyl 4 has low compression. Is that the only way I could have oil and pressure coming into the valve cover? Or would an exhaust valve not seating properly also cause this?

Edit:
Is it also possible that even though when I adjusted valves I let it run for 30 mins to idle and heat up before testing compression, that it still wasn’t enough to pump up the lifters? Maybe if I adjusted, then drive around for 15 mins before I checked compression would give me a different result? Instead of just the lighter load at idle, would the heavier load of driving do more for them?
GhostlyHalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 Aircooled With Some Odd Problems Reply with quote

Update on the injectors. Looking forward to trying em out. Looks like more than one were having issues!

GhostlyHalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 Aircooled With Some Odd Problems Reply with quote

Slapped in the rebuilt injectors and it’s running better, as expected. Not perfect though.
Now my issue is that it idles great, but when I put it into drive or reverse, the rpms dip too low and it starts to fumble. The battery light starts flickering during these fumbles, just signaling that the alternator isn’t moving enough to charge the battery.
What could be causing this?
Happens whether I have it idling at 1000 or 1500.

Edit: tried richening the air fuel mixture, didn’t change. Tried leaning it, didn’t change.
Could this be just because I have low compression on two cylinders?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 82 Aircooled With Some Odd Problems Reply with quote

Not an air cooled automatic transmission guy but Is there an idle compensator that raises the idle when a load is placed upon the engine, such as putting it into gear.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GhostlyHalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 82 Aircooled With Some Odd Problems Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Not an air cooled automatic transmission guy but Is there an idle compensator that raises the idle when a load is placed upon the engine, such as putting it into gear.

Dave

From my understanding, that’s only on the CA models. You’re talking about the idle stabilizer, right? Mine also doesn’t even have a decel valve because it a Automatic. I know it’s pretty odd to not have those things to check.
I can’t think of what else may be causing the issue. Other than the lack of compression...

I was gonna run the leak down, but forgot to grab a male connection for my compressor lol. I’ll get one and get that leak down done real soon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: