Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Engine problems. I have the long block put together and was adjusting the valves this morning, hoping to get the block outside and begin re-assembly of the external bits - tin, intake, etc. But I was only able to adjust 7/8 valves. The #1 Intake valve can't be adjusted, there's no room at all, even removing the adjusting screw. I removed the rocker, and checked the pushrods. They're not bent, and are the same size. And they're centered on the lifter seat/lobe, not sure what it's called - the cup the rod goes into.

In this pic, the intake rod appears to be sticking out farther than the exhaust.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the engine turning so you can see the movement of the #1 valves.

Link

What could cause this? If I had misaligned the cam and crank gear dots, i would have issues adjusting all of the valves. Just the #1 intake has a problem. The thought of disassembling the case again is *not* appealing. Is it possible that all I need are rocker shims on the #1 side of the rocker shaft?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Pull the head and check the valve seats. Is that one sunk?

How about the lengths of the pushrods? Equal to the others?

Does the other side have the same problem? #3 shares the same lobes.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Jimbo, 7/8 valves were fine, including both on #3. Btw, I think these are vw/factory pushrods, all straight and the same length.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Then you NEED to remove the head and check the valve seat! Sounds like it sank into the head. VW had this problem in the late 70s with sunken exhaust valves on number 3. My own parents lost an engine in their 73SB going 55 down the freeway! I was all of 10 when that happened. My Dad pulled it all apart and the neighbor across the street rebuilt the engine for him! That’s about when my mind switch from Legos to engines!!!! Same building with pieces but more fun with starting it!!!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

But Jimbo - this is a brand new head, not a factory original. Is that the only other possible explanation??

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
But Jimbo - this is a brand new head, not a factory original. Is that the only other possible explanation??

Call the vendor and ask them what they want you to do?

If it was I, the head would be off. I would want to know.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I'm pulling the head during lunch and will report back...I almost wish it to be a dropped seat so that I don't need to bust open the case again.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

If the valve height and pushrods all check out, then before disassembling or pulling the head, I would swap the rockers on #1 just to see if there is some weird difference. At least that way you are eliminating that possibility before doing unnecessary work.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
If the valve height and pushrods all check out, then before disassembling or pulling the head, I would swap the rockers on #1 just to see if there is some weird difference. At least that way you are eliminating that possibility before doing unnecessary work.

Good idea. It worth a shot!!! Something may have changed. It would be odd but seen odd a handful of times.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Sorry Raydog, I only just now saw your suggestion about the rockers - after I pulled the head. I don't see any problems w/the head. Both sets of valves look exactly the same. Raydog, when you say swap the rockers, you mean a single rocker arm, not the 1&2 for the 3&4 assemblies, right? [EDIT] What about using shims for he rocker base? Or am I looking at sending the head back to have the step "fixed"?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Sorry Raydog, I only just now saw your suggestion about the rockers - after I pulled the head. I don't see any problems w/the head. Both sets of valves look exactly the same. Raydog, when you say swap the rockers, you mean a single rocker arm, not the 1&2 for the 3&4 assemblies, right? [EDIT] What about using shims for he rocker base? Or am I looking at sending the head back to have the step "fixed"?

First try the removed rocker arm on the other side of the engine to see if there is an issue with the same rocker arm. If not, try the push rod.

Does the valve depth look any different from one side to the other?

What are the deck heights of all of the cylinders?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

There you go, Jimbo's suggestion is even better. Just swap the entire rocker assembly from 3/4 side and see how things fit. This beats taking the 1/2 rocker assembly apart, and quicker. Don't go the shimming route, there is something off. Solve the problem rather than putting a Band Aid on it.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Ron from carcraft (where I bought the heads) suggested swapping heads as well. I'll. Do the rockers first.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Ah, Carcraft......

Hope the heads are good! I have seen the refund policy. Not good.

Fingers crossed for ya!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Well he did replace one of the pistons that had a pin that wouldn't go in, so I'm betting on the positive side with him.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I swapped the rocker arms. The problem stayed w/the #1 intake, did not follow the rocker assembly to the 3-4 side. 3 adjusts fine. Bummer...I was hoping it went w/the rocker.

Tomorrow... I'll swap the heads.

In terms of deck height - I'm not sure how to measure that so don't know it. Embarassed

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I swapped the rocker arms. The problem stayed w/the #1 intake, did not follow the rocker assembly to the 3-4 side. 3 adjusts fine. Bummer...I was hoping it went w/the rocker.

Tomorrow... I'll swap the heads.

In terms of deck height - I'm not sure how to measure that so don't know it. Embarassed

Victor. You are building an engine. Calculating compression for the engine is a necessary task. Then you can design the engine for what you want from it. You should research deck height. It is important to the life of an engine. All engine builders design with this as the foundation.

You are also going to need to check the volume of the cylinder head combustion chambers.

From there, you need to go to CB Performance and use the calculator.
http://cbperformance.com/v/enginecalc.html

It will tell you what the deck height shim should be! Too high of compression and (in the words of Tweety Bird, “the poor little engine go BOOM!”

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Those valves do look like they are sitting a little low in their seats. Here is a pic from the gallery to compare.

I just looked at the original pics, and see that he also has run out of adjustment on the other valves too. The adjusters are backed all the way out. Is the other side like that too? Other than the valves sitting low, which is working against him, I am beginning to think you are going to have to work on your valve train geometry. Shimming the rockers probably isn't going to be enough. You may want to consider getting shorter or cut to fit pushrods.

So regardless of the one intake valve, you have no adjustment left on the others as the motor breaks in.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Raydog, i think that may be an illusion from the bad lighting in my basement and crappy smartphone camera. I have the head off and the valves don't look sunk compared to your picture. Also, w/the head off the tips of the stem are all even w/the a straight-edge laying across them, no one valve sticks out further than another.

I will be trying my hand at calculating the compression, deckheight, etc. But it's going to have to wait until next week as I'll be out of town in Berkeley CA for the next week or so starting tonight.

Vνctor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Ok, so as I pack my bags I couldn't resist. I tried my hand at the deck height and such calculation.

I got 41 ml of Smart Balance under the modified CD, which is tight flush up against the ....what's it called...step? Anyway, it's flush against the sides and tight down against the edge/top of the chamber.

And I got 12.8CCs of volume for the piston top/cylinder top space. I measured 87.95mm & 2.12mm depth from the top of the cylinder to the piston head. But I must be calculating something wrong. When I plug the numbers in to the CB calculator I get a compression ratio of 2.6...that ain't right. Displacement is correct...these are 88mm w/a factory 69mm crank. Maybe my deck height figure is wrong?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 49

Jump to: