Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine Build
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnydot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

Hi Guy's I have a type 4 2L engine in a heavy poptop camper and would also like to do frequent towing. What would be a strong size engine? IE stroke, bore size and cam . I don't need something that goes like a bat out of hell but something that would cruise all day every day at 120klm easily and have enough to pull a trailer along with it would be nice. I have a new pair of 44 IDF Webers to go on it but am leaning towards EFI if I can find one. I will also be fitting an overhead aircon unit so that will be a draw as well .Many thanks for reading
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

I believe you are asking for something an air cooled VW is not capable of delivering in any form dependably. To do what you just described with any real life expectancy would take a full sized pickup truck with a V8 engine or at the very least a large water cooled engine and transaxle swap into your VW. Then you may need to address the braking and suspension system to match the size and weight of the trailer you will tow.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

Don't be such a downer man
it's totally possible; gear it low and take it slow.
Are you in a hurry? Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

Yes maybe that is a bit of a negative response but realistic I believe. To power a 4000 pound loaded Bus with the air drag of a sheet of plywood plus a trailer at 80 mph all day, every day... think about it Modoc!

Do you think a Subaru swap would handle that? Maybe the 6 cylinder 3.0 L one? Have the heat removal capacity to run that kind of load all day?
jonnydot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

Yeah I thought it would be a big ask lol max speed limit here is 110klm and usually not for long distances. Usually I sit on 80klm any way I just wanted something that would give extra when needed New to vw so Thought I would ask the question .Suspension will be addressed and the trailer will have brakes
jonnydot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

I was thinking along the lines of 78mm crank and 96mm pots don't know enough about cam size to comment a port and polish on the heads and bigger valves with the 3 way cut and an exhaust to suit. As well as 44 IDF webers or EFI
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

In my mind 120 km/hr is possible. 80 km/hr pulling a trailer is also possible but not both. The type 4 engine had issues dissipating the heat generated by the stock engine with the load of a Bus with normal highway driving. Larger displacement would help I think but extra attention will have to be paid to keeping it cool. It's a function of xx.x pounds/hour of fuel creating xx.x BTUs of heat no matter what engine or combination of parts you use. An efficient engine build (parts that work well together) and increased cooling capacity I think will be key.

You have some pretty hot days where you live too I understand. Search the Bus forum and see what works for them.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

jonnydot wrote:
Hi Guy's I have a type 4 2L engine in a heavy poptop camper and would also like to do frequent towing. What would be a strong size engine? IE stroke, bore size and cam . I don't need something that goes like a bat out of hell but something that would cruise all day every day at 120klm easily and have enough to pull a trailer along with it would be nice. I have a new pair of 44 IDF Webers to go on it but am leaning towards EFI if I can find one. I will also be fitting an overhead aircon unit so that will be a draw as well . Many thanks for reading

Absolutely.
The best engine I have ever seen within the lines of what you request is a 98.5 x 78 (2376) cc. built with modified Deutz barrels and JE pistons. Web 9530 cam. modified bus heads with 43/36 valves, 9-1 CR. 44 idf´s and a Kurt Hassmann shorty header exhaust.
That thing just haaauuuullls butt, pulling a respectable 162 hp and a whopping 248 Nm peak torque. It resides in a 2 ton T25 Westfalia bus and it hauls a 1 ton camper with ease at 55-65 mph.
There was another German guy who built a similar engine (Where we got the basic idea from) He used a milder cam and were in the 130ish hp range. I remember him saying that his goal was to build an engine that was a bit like a Toyota Previa in behaviure with a long flat torque curve.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

jonnydot wrote:
Hi Guy's I have a type 4 2L engine in a heavy poptop camper and would also like to do frequent towing. What would be a strong size engine? IE stroke, bore size and cam . I don't need something that goes like a bat out of hell but something that would cruise all day every day at 120klm easily and have enough to pull a trailer along with it would be nice. I have a new pair of 44 IDF Webers to go on it but am leaning towards EFI if I can find one. I will also be fitting an overhead aircon unit so that will be a draw as well .Many thanks for reading
.........................................................................................................
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

jonnydot wrote:
I was thinking along the lines of 78mm crank and 96mm pots don't know enough about cam size to comment a port and polish on the heads and bigger valves with the 3 way cut and an exhaust to suit. As well as 44 IDF webers or EFI

It can be done you just need the right information .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That Dual Cab had for years a 96x71 , mild cam , 40mm iDF's etc , I think it got close to 200,000km before being removed and a 80mm x 96mm engine with again mild cam and 44 IDF clones . Heaps of oil volume and cooling are the trick ,plus a few little tricks the engine builder does . He's based in Brisbane . John Alder ,Volks Engineering .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Vanagonsgoslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

Sounds like you want a Jack Raby built engine. How does $25,000 and a 1 -2 yearwait sound to you?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

Hey! You and Wreck are both in Australia! Listen to him.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Yes maybe that is a bit of a negative response but realistic I believe. To power a 4000 pound loaded Bus with the air drag of a sheet of plywood plus a trailer at 80 mph all day, every day... think about it Modoc!

Do you think a Subaru swap would handle that? Maybe the 6 cylinder 3.0 L one? Have the heat removal capacity to run that kind of load all day?

I used to tow stuff with my bus and it worked fine. I pretty much drove it WOT all the time anyway so when towing it just went slower. No real difference to the engine.

There are roads where gong that slow is dangerous, would just have to avoid those areas. It would be better to drop fourth gear, to a "bug" fourth too IMO

a 200hp subaru engine would allow you to keep pace with some minivans, but it would be hard on the transmission.

78 stroke, 42x36 valves, mild cam, should be a much better engine.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine Build Reply with quote

The owner of the Blue Dual cab is building a 96 x 80 , mild hydraulic cam 42,34 valves etc for a customer at the moment .he is not cheap and will only do the whole job , he fits and does the run in . Fits enough coolers to keep the engine safe etc .
Formula Vee’s are his main work so he only takes on a few engines with people that are happy to wait , the Vee’s take priority . They can get over 80whp from a 1580cc , stock heads , 34pict with restricter plate under the carb. Pretty impressive .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: