Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Distributor
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: New Distributor Reply with quote

Needed to replace my dizzy. Got a new one, but am having difficulty trying to insert it in to the distributor drive. The old one came out fairly easy but this new is tight as hell to insert. I have to jiggle it with both hands and it will go down some but gets stuck almost half way through. Like the diameter of the shaft if you will is over sized slightly. Has anyone ever experienced this , and how did you remedy it. .PITA........ Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks.. Here's a pic of where its hung up. Tried to resize it but it wouldn't go through. Thanks again....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

Looks like you bought a cheap-o Chinese 009.

Measure the shaft. Measure your old one.

Rotate the rotor until it actually lines up with the distributor drive pinion. It will only line up one way. Oil the o-ring so it can slide down easier.

What distributor did you take out?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Rotate the rotor until it actually lines up with the distributor drive pinion. It will only line up one way. Oil the o-ring so it can slide down easier.

Yes, oil the O-ring. Yes, new O-rings make this tougher !

Maybe take off the rotor, and tap with a block of wood and a hammer.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

Take the distributor out.

Is the clamp the reason the distributor is not going all the way down into the case opening? Does the clamp slide all the way up on the shaft of the distributor so it will rest flush under the lip as shown here.

If the clamp cannot slide all the way up, check why this is. The clamp can be lightly bent to flatten it and open it up. As long as when you tighten the horizontal nut the clamp will firmly hold the distributor from rotating by accident you are fine. Don't over tighten the nut and bend the clamp.

Next check the o-ring on the shaft. New o-rings can be too large that they make inserting the distributor difficult. Liberally lube the o-ring with oil or grease. Using a plastic spudger, compress the o-ring as it passes into the case opening. Once the o-ring is below the surface you may need to twist the body back and forth to get the entire distributor to fully seat.

Before you install the distributor, look down into the opening and note the orientation of the drive gear slot down in the case. Look at the bottom of the distributor. The cog at the bottom of the distributor will only fit into the top of the drive gear one way. Orient the cog & rotor until the two are lined up so they will mate. When you fully seat the distributor the rotor will be pointed in this direction. If the rotor is pointing somewhere else the distributor will never fully seat.

Once you fully seat the distributor try to rotate the rotor. It will either not rotate (SVA distributor) or will rotate a little in one direction (CW) and then spring back when released (SVDA/DVDA/mechnical-only). If you can rotate the rotor and it stays where you rotate it... it is not properly seated into the drive gear.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

I've seen too short, but too long is possible.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

Try test fitting after removing the clamp and O ring.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Try test fitting after removing the clamp and O ring.

Good idea; I imagine it will fit fine that way.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

Looks like I I managed to sit it in right ... I think its in all the way as I mentioned before, the rotor does turn when I rotate the engine. At the moment it sits at number one at TDC. I tried to do a static timing, but the light would not go on no matter how I turned the distributor right or left. With the ignition on, I checked to see if I had voltage to the coil using the voltage test, ( light )... It would not go on. Again no voltage at the coil with the key on. Could it be some thing in the ignition at the key?... Everything else seems to be working ok. But it will not fire up. What else can I check? What am I'm missing?.. This is where it sits now.... It has a brand new boch coil, tested so I know it works.. Thanks for your help and patients on this....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

Points adjusted correctly? Defective points? When the points are closed, the current goes to ground. Current flows through the coil, building up a magnetic field. you will get no test light to light when points are grounded. When the points open, the magnetic field collapses, pouring all that stored energy into a nice spark. The timing of that collapse is what you are seeking, the moment when the points open, and your test light comes on. With the green wire from the dizzy hooked to your coil, if no light at any time, your points are closed all the time, or something in your dizzy is shorted to ground.
Marion, Iowa
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

It seems that I have no power to the coil when I turn the key. Points are adjusted as they should. But no power to the coil. There is power to the ignition at the key though. Could it be a wire disconnected some where. This all started when I replaced my progressive carburetor to a new one.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

Well I think I solved my no power to the coil dilemma. I recalled I took a ton of pictures and video before I took the engine out. I found a wire that was connected the the rest of the harness. It was connected to an oil sender then from there to the positive side of the coil. So that gave life to the coil and hopefully power the dizzy then the plugs. I will post with results, but for today I'm done. Next will be is to do the static timing, and hope it fires up... Thanks all for you help. If there is anything else I might have missed, please let me know.. To be continued.....
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
I recalled I took a ton of pictures and video before I took the engine out. I found a wire that was connected the the rest of the harness. It was connected to an oil sender then from there to the positive side of the coil. So that gave life to the coil and hopefully power the dizzy then the plugs....

Huh??!!! Confused Shocked

The power wire for the ignition coil is a black wire (usually slightly thicker than the rest) which comes from the harness coming out from the left C-pillar area. This wire connects directly to the #15 (+) terminal on the ignition coil. Other wires like the carb idle cutoff, choke and reverse lights connect to this same terminal for their ignition switched 12v.

There should be no wire running between the ignition coil and the oil pressure switch below the distributor. The oil pressure switch has its own blue/green wire from the harness. This wire runs back to the OIL lamp in the speedometer. When the switch sees low pressure from the oil system it grounds this blue/green wire to turn the OIL lamp ON.

Double check your wiring. The black wire bringing power to the ignition coil #15 is NOT fused when the car comes from the factory. If the wire itself or any of the other wires connected to the #15 terminal touch ground they will not blow a fuse. They will get hot, melt and often catch fire. Not a good thing to do near the fuel pump and the fuel lines.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

Thank ashman40 Duly noted. I guess I should have mentioned, that I am working on a 68 dune buggy, to witch the PO used a mustang wiring harness to hook it all up. So the colors you mentioned for the wires are of no consequence. I had to do a lot of fishing to figure what went were. I only hope I didn't cross anything. Do you think then, I should add a fuse in line to that black power wire going to the coil, just to be safe? I haven't fired it up it , I still have to do the static timing on it. But all the lights work, and the gages as well. This is what I'm working currently.......Its a pic with the old engine...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

Just an update. I finally got running, although she is running rough with the new weber. I'm guessing I have to adjust it. Running rich as it smells through the exhaust. Also at the initial start up, the engine started slowly with two or three revolutions, then she cranked right over. Could the timing still be off? I understand that these carburetors are finicky in trying to adjust them. I'm no expert, so I'll have to play with it.

Thanks folks for all your help..
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
... the PO used a mustang wiring harness to hook it all up... Do you think then, I should add a fuse in line to that black power wire going to the coil, just to be safe?

The original VW harness did not have a fuse on the ignition coil power wire. Adding one is beneficial. An inline fuse should be added at the fuse box end of the wire. A 15A fuse should be fine.
If you are running a Mustang harness does it already have a fuse on the ignition coil wire? Or are you just using the wiring harness from a Mustang but have connected the overall system according to the stock wiring diagram? If so, add the inline fuse for the ignition coil.

legotech7 wrote:
Also at the initial start up, the engine started slowly with two or three revolutions, then she cranked right over. Could the timing still be off?

Hard time cranking is often a indicator the ignition timing is too advanced. Remove the center wire from the distributor cap and ground it. Crank the engine. If it is now easy it further points to too much timing advance... the spark is firing so early that it is trying to force the piston back down as it approaches TDC on the compression stroke.
Before you static time the distributor, set the point gap with a feeler gauge or if you have a dwell meter you can adjust dwell while cranking the engine.
I like to static time engines to around 7BTDC just to get them started. Once warmed up and running, use a strobe timing light to accurately set the timing as per the distributor model installed.

legotech7 wrote:
I understand that these carburetors are finicky in trying to adjust them. I'm no expert, so I'll have to play with it.

Actually the Weber progressive carbs are pretty flexible. The problem is with their use on center mount ACVW intakes. There is insufficient heat to keep the air-fuel mixture from condensating. Make sure you have the heat riser tubes running from the #2 and #4 cylinders to the intake. From your pic above your intake is missing these tubes. Without them, the carb will almost never run well. Give this page a read:
https://www.aircooled.net/making-weber-progressive-dfev-work-aircooled-vw-engine/
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

The pic above is with the old weber, I've changed it since. And they now have the heat riser tubes attached and a new SVDA distributor. I got the timing corrected, and she runs better now. I still don't like the weber carb for its difficulty in tuning. They need to relocate the screws from the rear, to the front or to the sides. I appreciate all the help here. I love this site...
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
I still don't like the weber carb for its difficulty in tuning. They need to relocate the screws from the rear, to the front or to the sides.

Note sure if you are aware... the Weber progressive comes in many different models. The two main groups are DFV and DGV. Most Beetle progressive carb kits come with the DFV or DFEV (electric choke). These place the choke and adjustment screws close to the fan shroud while the linkage is on the left side of the carb.

Here is a DFEV (front side on top and left side on bottom):

The DGV version is a mirror image of the DFV. Here's a pic of a DGAV (water heated choke) from the front/left side view:

You can see if you mount the DGV with the linkage on the left the choke and adjustment screw will now be facing the rear of the car/engine and more accessible.

Note how the DFV linkage (when on the left) is on the barrel closer to the fan shroud while the DGV linkage (when on the left) is on the other barrel (further from the shroud). Both linkages rotate towards the center of the carb. This means the DFV rotates CW while the DGV rotates CCW when the linkages are on the left side. This could be an issue for setting up the linkage on a Beetle where the throttle cable pulls towards the front side of the carb?

I wonder if anyone has ever mounted a DGV carb on the Beetle progressive intake? Seems like the better choice. Maybe there is some clearance problem or linkage problem?
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Distributor Reply with quote

ashman40, great information. The carb I have is the 32/36 DFEV type. You'd think the manufactures would have figured this out by now....

Thanks man...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: