Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

High top? Looks more like a roofcrammedwithstuff top. I wonder what poor motor they are using to drag everything around.

That's just impressive.
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Vanlife Geek wrote:
tjet wrote:
My stepdaughter spotted this beauty in NYC today...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Love that color! If I were going to repaint my van, I'd go with something like that.

AGREE
i would find some military colour...

maybe Audi's tactical green

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I made my first ever trip to Maine and I saw lots of VWs including five Vanagons -- all Westies -- and one double cab which had a very cool canopy over the bed area. I had seen pics of Dokas before with canopies, but never one in person. (I did not count the ones I saw at two VW-specialized shops.)

I was driving a rental Hyundai each time so no pics. Sorry.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

oasis wrote:

So, cameras don't work in rental cars? I'll have to delete a lot of my posted photos if that's the case. Maybe it's a Hyundai thing.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

vwhammer wrote:
Spotted this in Athens, Ohio over graduation/student move out weekend.

I am pretty sure that is a high top I have not seen before.

Looks like a Vanagon headed for gearbox failure. Too much weight imo.

Don't think it's a High Top. There are roof rack gutter mounts.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

This one wasn't on the road, but I was on the road in my Westy when I saw this was lurking from behind the trees. Looks like it could use a little TLC.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

campism wrote:
oasis wrote:

So, cameras don't work in rental cars? I'll have to delete a lot of my posted photos if that's the case. Maybe it's a Hyundai thing.

I once owned a VW Thing. Wink

I haven't owned a camera since 35mm film could be purchased at department stores. By the time I would have grabbed my phone, given it my thumb print, delete some stupid message, find the camera in the sea of apps, and tried to get it pointing the right way with one hand while not ending up in a ditch with my other hand, they would have been long gone ... and I wasn't turning around. I was only half successful telling my wife, "Look! Another one!" (Her responses were either, "Awww, look at it," or "Oh really?")

The Hyundai got me to all of my Point Bs, but it left a lot to be desired in its layout. It wasn't just my phone that was chore to find. I would have had at least two pics if I were driving any of our vehicles. Renting something better would have cost double. C'est la vie.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
By the time I would have grabbed my phone, given it my thumb print

if it’s an iphone you should be able to swipe over from the right and that’ll pull up the camera

I think I’ve seen this white Westy parked on Church for a few years. Got a pic of it with the J yesterday.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

erste wrote:
oasis wrote:

if it’s an iphone you should be able to swipe over from the right and that’ll pull up the camera

Good to know. Ever since the upgrade my 6S is clumsier in many respects and I've missed several shots (Vanagon content). Used to swipe up from the bottom on the lock screen.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Always cool to see more vans in Chicago. I saw these when picking up my van at my mechanic in Ravenswood. Both weekenders and look well loved.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I was able to escape seeing a dozen a day once I got far enough east of my hometown "BusVana" and saw a Blue Westy at Ft. Rock with interesting wheels on it...
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

erste wrote:
oasis wrote:

Without having to give it a thumbprint or punch in my code? I'll give it a try. Thanks.

(I even heard one can make calls with it.) Wink

Addendum: The old battle axe can do it! I figured at best it was something iPhone umpteen (whatever they're up to) could do. Thanks again for the tip!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

spotted in Aachen today

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I saw the same gold/beige Vanagon with a kayak on the roof on the PA Turnpike last Friday heading the other direction and then Sunday afternoon we passed each other again! Not that far from the original passing. Sadly, they did not see us either time!
kevinj73us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Heading home through some neighborhoods attached to the walking trails in Columbia, MD. Came across this brown westy.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

did a 5hour round trip trip in mine on the Saturday of memorial day weekend.
along NYS I-90.. only saw 1 Westy a silver/grey westy on the back of a multi-car hauler. so hopefully someone's getting a new one vs a breakdown tow.

was headed eastbound on I-90 towards Albany, NY..

only other VW I saw was a Rialta.. not sure we count them.

did get alot of thumbs ups from passing (or passed) motorists
one guy very nearly punched his girl in the face reaching across to give a thumb up. her reaction was HILARIOUS.... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Don't see many around here but I was westbound on US 78 in Stone Mountain GA in the right lane doing 72 MPH according to the GPS and a white camper blew by so fast I could not even pick up the phone for a pic before it was down the road too far.

If that was you, holy cow, what you got in it?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

[/img]
[img][/img]

This ‘84ish two-tone brown Westy followed right behind me through CT on my way home from the Cape today for about 15 miles. I was in my red ‘89 Westy, my daughter took the picture looking through the rear window.
Other than the two in our group camping, I saw two other white Westys On the Cape over the weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Seen this one and many other Vanagon at the VW show in Woodburn.

It's the twin of mine

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

This ‘84ish two-tone brown Westy followed right behind me through CT on my way home from the Cape today for about 15 miles. I was in my red ‘89 Westy, my daughter took the picture looking through the rear window.
Other than the two in our group camping, I saw two other white Westys On the Cape over the weekend.

I saw this bay window in another loop at the campground (Nickerson, Cape Cod)

Also saw a white Vanagon Westfalia exiting the park. So including our group, there were at least 5 Westfalia’s camped in the park.

And then there was this guy. Wait, that’s me!

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 155 of 169

Jump to: