Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat belt question (photos included)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

All-

I should know this, yet I can't seem to find it. My deluxe has the front seat bolt locations in the first photo.

But I screwed up by putting in the walk-through rubber along the other side of the seats completely forgetting where the hole was. I am trying to "feel" it and I might have the location. Any pics of a 66-67 location?

Also, do you know what the bolt sizes are and are they the same for all holes?

Thank you
-Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

620 x 130

The center of the holes for the seat belt mounting bolt on the sides of my walk through 66 model are 620 mm back from the leading edge of the metal trim on the front edge of the walk through, and 130 mm above the floor at that 620 point. The 620 mm is a horizontal distance, not the distance along your walk through floor. In other words, I gave you the 2 dimensions of a right triangle. Pythagoras leaves it to the student to figure out the dimension along the floor, not that you need that.
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

Mines a 65, maybe this will help?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

Here is the walk through one-
Keep in mind I have everything installed, so the measurement is not from bare metal. I hooked the tape on the front to get the 24".

I also found this, but do not have measurements at this point, but may give an idea-

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

It is either accessed on the back side through the seat pedestal or from underneath the bus. From either spot- poke a thumbtack in from the backside.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
It is either accessed on the back side through the seat pedestal or from underneath the bus. From either spot- poke a thumbtack in from the backside.

Yes, the mount by the doors have a huge plate underneath.
My '63:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

Thank you all.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

Oh, does anyone know the bolt size? Seems like a M10, but I'm not finding correct size... and I wondered if it changes with bus years?
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

JonL... the measurement pics worked spot on... thank you...

Do you know the bolt size? I tried M10x1.50 and M12x1.25 and neither fits.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

Just found that 11mmX1.25 is the bolt size. I've never heard a M11 before...
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

I believe all seatbelt bolts are 7/16 - 20 also know as 7/16 UNF. Google seat belt bolts
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

John Ghia wrote:
I believe all seatbelt bolts are 7/16 - 20 also know as 7/16 UNF. Google seat belt bolts

Yes, it's weird but they are American sizing

My Bus above has the somewhat-normal converter pieces to convert the huge hole to a standard-size mounting bolt

The alterative which I have seen a bunch of times is this large mounting "ring":

Note: This is not my Bus although it looks like it - This is a '64 Turkis Bus
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

Thanks you all and yes that is strange that is a SAE size and not metric.

I shall buy bolts today.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

Well, I did pick up the 7/16 - 20. No go.

Now, they were fine thread. I wonder if there is/I should get coarse thread if that make a difference?

Hard to really know if the PO did something else to it. Worse case I tap a close size to fit.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

The seat belt anchor "plugs" and bolts are only $7.50 a pair. You'll need two pairs to do both seats. For that kind of coin, I wouldn't futz around with a tap and different bolts. It's not like these are what anchors your seat belt system that you might need in a crash....

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22964339-111-700.html
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

Thanks bontonroulet
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
No go.

What all is no?
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

Barry... the "no" is that the 7/16-20 did not screw in there. I stopped by Fastenal on my way home from work and grabbed both the 14 and 20 (coarse and fine) to make sure and neither fit.

Now, I didn't have time last night (wife duties called) and since the bus was painted, I want to properly clean out the threaded area of paint and try to see if that might be holding back, what should be, and easy screwing in of the bolt.

I will post what I end up doing.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Barry... the "no" is that the 7/16-20 did not screw in there.

7\16 20 is what it should be. Who knows what has happened in 54 years of being jacked with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Seat belt question (photos included) Reply with quote

Exactly Toolbox...... I'll be in the garage tonight and I need to clean out some residual pain in the threads to make a better assessment....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: