Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing Rubber Seals for Fresh Air Grills
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rubber Seals for Fresh Air Grills Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
I just stapled the ends together, fit them in the grill and installed. I believe that’s what the factory did.

The 2 originals I have both have staples as well so I agree that is how the factory did it. Where did you buy your seals? I suspect yours are better quality than what I have.

I think I got them from KGPR. Did you get yours from West Coast Metric?

A little late answering your question, but I'm not sure where they came from as they came from the previous owner.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rubber Seals for Fresh Air Grills Reply with quote

I know this thread is kind of old but has anyone had problems fitting the reproduction grills from Airhead?

I just test fit mine before paint and they would not go in. The old ones fit perfectly. I have original panels in this area so I can't blame the welding or body filler.

I may try again and play around with the tabs on the side or try to bend.

Suggestions?
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rubber Seals for Fresh Air Grills Reply with quote

All the repro grills I have seen were a poor fit compared to 'old good'. I was able to grind the back of the lip to made one set fit 'better' and the rubber seal hides the grinding. An other approach is to disassemble you old grills, strip the old anodising, polish, reassemble and re-anodise. A lot of work!
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rubber Seals for Fresh Air Grills Reply with quote

Yeah, I might have to do that!

Currently scouring the internet for cart trim anodizers
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Rubber Seals for Fresh Air Grills Reply with quote

Peter,

I just tried fitting the grills that I have from Airhead. You are right, they don't really fit. My original ones fit right in. My original ones aren't too bad really, they just look weathered I suppose. I am very apprehensive about taking them apart to remove the anodizing to polish them. I might just wetsand off the anodizing on the forward edges and polish them.

Did you have any luck in finding an anodizer?

Olli
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rubber Seals for Fresh Air Grills Reply with quote

I contacted Airhead yesterday about the grills not fitting. They apologized and said they would get back to me. I'm going to attempt to fit them one more time by sanding or bending. But my car is in the paint shop an hour away from me so it could be a while before I get back there.

There's a few businesses spread around the country that can re-plate automotive aluminum. None of them are cheap!

www.triplefautomotive.com

https://www.iversonautomotive.com/services/types-of-restoration/aluminum/

http://www.qualityanodizing.com/index.html

https://kingoftrim.com/

The first company to get back to me said that my grills were not restorable as they were too pitted. He added that VW aluminum was very poor quality back in the 60's.

Taking the grills apart is not really hard, just carefully bend the tabs back. On the curved side of the grill, the tabs should stick out at a 90 degree angle. On the vertical side of the grill, make the tabs straight out. Then you can just wiggle the pieces out. This also makes it easier to clean and straighten them if they are slightly curved.

Might even powdercoat them. Probably cheaper to do.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rubber Seals for Fresh Air Grills Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
... There's a few businesses spread around the country that can re-plate automotive aluminum. ...
FWIW I've had good experiences with https://globalmetalfinishing.com (it used to be East West DyeCom in the same location with the same knowledgable/helpful Pres/CEO). Prepping the pieces is labor intensive so a DIY prep may reduce or shift the cost. You've probably read about using Easy-Off oven cleaner or concentrated NaOH (sodium hydroxide, warning) instead of sanding to quickly remove an old anodized coating, but sanding would still be required to get a good finish; fortunately aluminum is softer than the anodized surface. If fitment is an issue I'd expect powdercoat would produce more buildup than color anodizing. I've found bare aluminum requires periodic polishing (Mothers). Good luck whichever approach you take. Cool
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rubber Seals for Fresh Air Grills Reply with quote

I am going to stick with my original German grills. I spent some more time cleaning them and they are very presentable.

More fun with Airhead. I started putting one of the seals on. I decided to use some weather stripping adhesive. The adhesive was working out really well and I was just about all the way around until I saw that I was about 1/2" short. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I then compared it to the other seal. Yup 1/2" shorter! Thanks Airhead. I ordered some seals from WCM. Now I have to wait a week to continue the grill installation.

Olli
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rubber Seals for Fresh Air Grills Reply with quote

Hmmm, the grills don't fit but I wouldn't assume the seals are bad!

I would take the seals off and remove the adhesive. Then staple or glue the ends of the seal together. They were originally held together with a staple. Anyway, the rubber seals should have enough stretch in them to make up for that half inch of play or being too short

I think someone pointed out earlier in this thread, you might need to trim or notch the rubber where it wraps around the curves so it doesn't bunch up. The original seal I have off a 67 was slightly narrower. Might have shrunk from age or it might be that the new seals are too wide.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rubber Seals for Fresh Air Grills Reply with quote

I got a set of grills from what's now called Airhead Parts back when they were known as KGP&R (Karmann Ghia Parts & Restoration). They fit perfectly and look exactly the same as original OEM parts. Maybe they changed suppliers at some point?
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Rubber Seals for Fresh Air Grills Reply with quote

I also got mine from Airhead. And you're right, they look really nice.

My only guess is that early runs of this part fit fine but the quality control, tooling, machinery, whatever, has slipped over time. They're made in a factory overseas where no one cares and they go on the shelf in CA and they're sent to the customer without being checked.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: