Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rare Parts Ball Joints?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Rare Parts Ball Joints? Reply with quote

Anyone try the Rare Parts Ball Joints?
https://shop.rareparts.com/BE1013378-10186-BALL-JO...RANSPORTER
They any good?
They look built better than others, but there also $40 a piece.
Any ones people would recommend?
I've read a lot of bad things about various brands, so not sure what to buy. Don't mind spending the money to buy best ones.
Need them for 78 bay bus.
Thanks[url][/url]
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Parts Ball Joints? Reply with quote

avoll wrote:
Anyone try the Rare Parts Ball Joints?
https://shop.rareparts.com/BE1013378-10186-BALL-JO...RANSPORTER
They any good?
They look built better than others, but there also $40 a piece.
Any ones people would recommend?
I've read a lot of bad things about various brands, so not sure what to buy. Don't mind spending the money to buy best ones.
Need them for 78 bay bus.
Thanks[url][/url]

I look on with interest of others opinions on "Rare parts"...parts.

A few years back they were listing ball joints for 411 and 412 cars. It sounded and looked great from a distance. The price was hideously high.....like....right now...O'reillys and Autozone both list the "rare Parts" ball joint for my car...for between $357 and $259....each.....and the pictures they show are of an NOS joint...not a Rare Parts built joint.

I looked at them with a hairy eye because many years ago I had seen some aftermarket joints that were constructed the same....a very thin mounting flange with externally welded on nuts. One or two people tried them and found them very unsatisfactory.

Yes I know...mine is a different car and a a difficult one....so hoping someone can confirm that they make other parts of better quality....or not....for other VW's

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Parts Ball Joints? Reply with quote

The photo is a Lemforder ball joint. German made Lemforder has not been available in many years and a Bus ball joint made by Lemforder is now made in China. They may or may not be good. Probably better than most, even given where they are made. Lemforder is a solid company.

I would want to know if the photo represents the exact part being supplied or if it's a generic photo, and where the part is made.
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Parts Ball Joints? Reply with quote

Any brands/companies anyone can recommend?
Anyone have anything good or bad to say about NAKATA Ball Joints?
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Parts Ball Joints? Reply with quote

avoll wrote:
Any brands/companies anyone can recommend?
Anyone have anything good or bad to say about NAKATA Ball Joints?

Read through this thread, and search for more. Lots of info out there.

I went with the Nakata, sourced them from a seller on eBay.

Haven't swapped them yet, but will soon.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Parts Ball Joints? Reply with quote

Thanks, I appreciate the help, and information.
How long ago did you install the NAKATA? They last decent?
I've read through the forums and seen the comparisons, but there's no definitive answer on what to get. Seems like there all junk, or at least a crap shoot. Was hoping something better has come along. Or someone had better up to date information.
The NAKATA on ebay seem little sketchy, there all last one for sale, and zero reviews.
Is there anything that stands out the best to buy, or they all pretty much junk still?
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Parts Ball Joints? Reply with quote

I bought the Nakata from ebay and the quality seems good, they don't have a country of origin on the packaging but everything is in Portuguese. They have the correct stiffness and the correct top casting.

However I just stole the boots off them because my OEM VW ball joints are still in good shape just needed new boots and there doesn't seem to be a source for high quality replacement boots. The Nakata boots seem to be made of a similar material to OEM.

I will say they seemed to be a little stingy with the grease.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Parts Ball Joints? Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
... Lemforder is a solid company.

Yes, and Hella and Bosch used to be reliably high quality, too, but no more.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Parts Ball Joints? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
germansupplyscott wrote:
... Lemforder is a solid company.

Yes, and Hella and Bosch used to be reliably high quality, too, but no more.

You're not wrong. I try to have faith that parts manufacturers who should know better are trying but sometimes my faith is tested. Hella still make some very good items. Bosch items for our vintage of VW have gotten downright bad in some instances.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: