Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

and after the 1st coat of POR plus a bit of ruffing it up for the 2nd coat.

outside view.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

inside view. more slathering to come.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

A permanent temporary fix for the drivers door. As I mentioned, I cleaned the rust and used the POR-15 marine clean and metal ready prep. Then 1 coat of POR-15, a bit of ruffing up and a 2nd coat of POR-15 and a couple layers of tight mesh fiberglass. I call it a hippie fix.

I will own and drive this bus, so I will monitor the fix, see how long it lasts. The last step will be to ruff it up and smooth out the fiberglass, then go with a high quality top coat. More pix on that soon.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Other work this weekend has been to slide the vinyl seat coverings on.

BTW I also added seat heaters to the seat and back rest. No complete pix yet. I ordered, and have not received the rubber top seat rail pads from Sewfine. So once they arrive I will be done. This passenger side seat btm looks damn good to me.

For fun I slipped the back on for a quick picture.

But this one is ready with the heat pad for the seat back.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I have been drag-assing around with the paint.... but I think I am satisfied.

I bought automotive paint with activator..... I have been painting with a brush and a foam roller. Coverage is good, and sometimes the finish is good, but mostly it is not good.

So I sanded the color using 800 or even 1000 grit. Got most of the issues knocked out. Then I went with automotive clear again with activator. Great improvement on the finish. So that is my plan for the rest of the Bus.

Doors are done....

And body has 1 maybe 2 good coats of color. So that remains, as well as some touch-up on the interior side of the doors. Remember, this is gonna be a driver.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I bought one of those plates to make a Fuel Tank Sender access door. That is now done....

Not to mention, the new tank is installed and fully connected.... New Filler hose, fresh vent hose connectors, new sending unit, new strap down pads too.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

New job, hot weather, long leadtime back orders, missing parts, mis-placed parts, indecision … whatever else has not motivated me too much. But things are getting done.

I mounted the passenger door, door seal & Latches, mirror and found some wide stick on trim ! It is a deluxe by the way. And the sliding door with latches and seal. The headlights, blinkers, fresh air screen, front bumper and front emblem. Rear blinkers too.

geopanoramic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

very impressive. Man, starting with the tank... omg. Group me too.....!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Headliner work....

I will say that i found only one post that says to start at the rear.... makes total sense tho. you use the very short bow and poke these pointy triangles into the fabric leaving the bow to hold the rear of the headliner while you pull the front towards the front. THIS POST page four way down. I will copy and paste the wording. Brilliant.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.
steve~

that thread is the biggest piece of trash on the samba when it comes to headliner installation. I would LOVE to see how any of their headliners turned out.

start:
B,C,D posts (vertical)

then your window sills (horizontal)

insert bows in proper order

hook it in the REAR. at the ANCHOR BOW. the one with the foolish sharp spotwelded triangles.

with your headliner rolled up, hook the rear to the abovementioned location. while you have the rolled headliner in your hand, reaching through the windows that aren't there, have your buddy hook the bows in position.

when you hit the windshield, clip to frame. now admire your saggy ass diaper.

pull like your life depends on it till you get to the windshield, adjusting bows as needed.

get to the very front bow and say fuck. the headliner is made 3" off. remove front bow, cut about 1/8" off of it and keep trimming till it's happy.

PULL. clip. look.

trim bow pockets till the desired "hang" is there. PULL and clip to the upper window frame, again, start in the rear, and work forward.

that is the jist of it. there is a ton more, but that will get most started.

steve, not flaming you at all and you know that.

you MUST START IN THE REAR starting at the front will not give you any chance to take up the slack in the headliner.

vwpieces said it best...they're made fast, not correct.

but, they can be made to work. I am happy (elated) with mine, but it took a lot of effort to get it there...

this is why I say that some "uniform wrinkles" or lines are acceptable back by the hinge area.

look at the profile of the rear brace
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Vent wing windows are $300 new. These are a bit holey, but worth a day or two to clean and patch. Seem to be missing a part. If i can’t find one or an old super rusty frame with one, i am going without. Screw it.

The full 3 part POR-15 treatment on these. Plus a hippie fix on the holes. I added fiberglass cloth and two coats of POR.

After completely cured and super hard, i will sand away the fibers then top coat with a good flat black rattle can spray. Those pix to follow.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Wow, when you look up cheapskate in the dictionary you might see a picture of me, I like the challenge of resurrecting broken stuff some times. But you take the cake, you couldn't find better used ones in the classifieds?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Dude, i wrote what the next steps were. You didn’t think i was leaving them like that? They cleaned up nicely. No structure here. Fiberglass and por added some strength. STILL NEED TOP COAT.

I probably could just gone with rust converter and top coat.

Next will be rattle can top coat.

I don’t trust those ads with pix of four or five windows. They say 1 left. Yeah I will get one worse than mine.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I never said you weren't doing a good job, I was just contemplating the time investment Vs: taking a chance on another one, even the ones some sellers give away for free may be a better candidate for the rehab process. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Maybe i should buy up those rusty out there. If they are 300 new, i could hippie fix rehab and make some bread.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Ready for the glass...... Might just install the passenger side today.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Had to put the doors on hold. those damn vents with new seals are SO FRUSTRATING. So I will come back to that later. The body glass was also a huge b*tch to install. More pix on that later.

Here I have the middle bench. $325 at a show in Chattanooga a couple years back. Just now getting to removing the OEM cover. It took over 6 mths to get this cover from TMI. And they really just don't care when you get your order.

But I got it and I installed it as you can see.

Cleaned and painted the lower section of the frame, added the burlap and the molded foam pads and the covers went on nicely, if i do say so myself.

Got the grab handle on..... Ashtray too. Just for authenticity Cool

Last edited by malcolm2 on Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I jumped ahead a bit.... so these pix all came before the bench seat....

Headliner is as warned here, very challenging. and also not fully spelled out, at least that i could find. But I put the pieces together and added some of my own visual knowledge and I got it in. Not gonna win any awards, and i pray it all stays together zipping down the interstate..... But I am happy enough with it.

START AT THE REAR. why is it that few posts tell you that? see the hooks? find the tuff fabric that lines up at that point and poke the hooks into that tuff sleeve with a bar in it, of course.

Add all your bars and insert them into the STEP, not the seam. The step will make the bars bow up better. the vinyl tips will help the tips stay in the step. I have a post here somewhere with a napkin drawing of the profile and you can easily see the step.

I RECOMMEND GETTING 3 CANS OF THE EXPENSIVE SPRAY GLUE FROM THE PLACE YOU BUY THE HEADLINER. I bought two and ran out. 3M stuff is good, but different. Tuff go get overspray off. And the 3M stuff takes longer to cure. go with the stuff from the headliner place. Red and White can.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

BODY GLASS is in, and I went with non OEM chrome on my Deluxe. Stuff sticks on great. the ends are not finished, so there is that. and it has not been in a 70 mph wind yet, but from 20 feet, it looks DAMN good.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Got the wiring to the new light tubs..... This one is just lit directly from the battery. But they all work.

A.D.D. has me jumping all over.... SO much more to do.

I have installed the rear interior panels and the armrests. Clips had to be adjusted to fit. And the panel kit did not come with the storage area panels, so i will make some templates and cut me something to go there.

I have bought a rug from overstock.com. gonna trim it up and cut holes for the bench bolts.

Next will be the bulkhead panels. I cleaned up the top and side pads, need to find the grab handle and the chrome strip for the bottom. I have one, but need the other.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Rear bench is original to the bus. At least it was in it when I got it.

With water getting in it rusted 7 of the 8 corners of the 2 part seat. As with the middle seat, TMI took 20+ weeks to deliver. I wish I had taken this apart on the day I ordered.

Pix above are the backrest. I will need some Zig Zag springs the stiff edging and some clips. Does not seem that the edging comes in the flat version.

It will be easier to form the round rod type.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: