Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Machine For Cam Bearings
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Machine For Cam Bearings Reply with quote

Ive got an otherwise good early 40 HP case but the cam bearing bores are scored. Anyone machine these cases besides RIMCO? Not worth shipping to cali and back. Hopefully someone in the mid west?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine For Cam Bearings Reply with quote

Rimco was the ONLY place I knew that did it, and I didn’t think they did it anymore. Porsche machine shops actually reface case halves, and rebore bearing holes, so maybe you could do a search on those that work with 356/912 cases? I have a 64 engine I’d like to modify internally, so please post your findings if you do find another source?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Machine For Cam Bearings Reply with quote

If it is too expensive for you to ship your case to RIMCO for machine work, I would suggest that you may want to take up a different hobby.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Machine For Cam Bearings Reply with quote

I’d be interested in having a couple of cases cut too. Mofoco used to do them, I had one done several years ago... but I heard in another thread that he doesn’t offer that service anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Machine For Cam Bearings Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
If it is too expensive for you to ship your case to RIMCO for machine work, I would suggest that you may want to take up a different hobby.

No kidding. It cost me $50 to ship from Montana to Rimco to get my case machined.
"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Machine For Cam Bearings Reply with quote

Crarcraft touched up the cam tunnel on the last case I sent over. But the case was already cut for cam bearings. Not sure if a different cutter is used.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Machine For Cam Bearings Reply with quote

I suggest you take this question to vintage speed forum, you’d have a fair chance getting an answer.
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine For Cam Bearings Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

Not really helpful and there is a big difference between can I afford it and is it worth it! As in I can invest $300 into a case that I would be lucky to sell for $150.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine For Cam Bearings Reply with quote

satterley_sr wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

Not really helpful and there is a big difference between can I afford it and is it worth it! As in I can invest $300 into a case that I would be lucky to sell for $150.

If you are hoping to make money at this, then you really are in the wrong hobby. Unless you are dealing with split buses or split or oval bugs, you aren't going to make money.

If you are planning on selling the case then sell it as is, disclosing the problem, and let the buyer deal with it.

If you are going to build an engine with this case then you have to be willing to send the case somewhere because very few places have machining services for Air Cooled VWs any more. These days, RIMCO very well may be the only place in the US that does this work so you will just have to deal with it.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine For Cam Bearings Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

If you are hoping to make money at this, then you really are in the wrong hobby. Unless you are dealing with split buses or split or oval bugs, you aren't going to make money.

If you are planning on selling the case then sell it as is, disclosing the problem, and let the buyer deal with it.

If you are going to build an engine with this case then you have to be willing to send the case somewhere because very few places have machining services for Air Cooled VWs any more. These days, RIMCO very well may be the only place in the US that does this work so you will just have to deal with it.

Again not really helpful. I obviously know about RIMCo it was in the original post, If you don't know of anyone else, so be it but your input is not helping me in the least.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine For Cam Bearings Reply with quote

satterley_sr wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

Again not really helpful. I obviously know about RIMCo it was in the original post, If you don't know of anyone else, so be it but your input is not helping me in the least.

I think Brothers does this for $150

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine For Cam Bearings Reply with quote

I was talking to a local guy turns out he bought a set of cutters which includes the cam bearing bore. He is willing to loan it to me and I have a few cases that need welding to try it out on. Will see how it goes next week.
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine For Cam Bearings Reply with quote

if you get it to work, post back as I have some early 40hp engines that are numbers matching that it would be great to have a local resource to send them for that mod come time for rebuild. Im in WI
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: