Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

bigfoot_ev wrote:
First off, huge thanks to markcm2 for this detailed write up. I used this extensively for my own project.

My main goal was to accommodate my compressor cooler, so I had to go a slightly different route. As you will see in the pictures I no longer have a full downstairs bed, so obviously my solution won't work for some other folks. I also wanted access to the complete under seat area. Finally, I was stuck trying to maximize my remaining space after the cooler was in place. In the end I built some plywood boxes because I couldn't find anything else that would work.

The bottom line, as others have said, putting a pull out in the rear of a Eurovan makes a huge difference for usability and accessibility.

Nice work! And thank you for sharing.
South Delta Mortgage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

How long did this take you? Looks great.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

South Delta Mortgage wrote:
How long did this take you? Looks great.

Hard to say really, I know I worked on mine for a few hours several times; I think it was over 10 when all the thinking and drawing, and going to the store and building, and painting, and fitting is factored in. It was fun to build and a priceless improvement.
jmciii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

bigfoot_ev wrote:
First off, huge thanks to markcm2 for this detailed write up. I used this extensively for my own project.

My main goal was to accommodate my compressor cooler, so I had to go a slightly different route. As you will see in the pictures I no longer have a full downstairs bed, so obviously my solution won't work for some other folks. I also wanted access to the complete under seat area. Finally, I was stuck trying to maximize my remaining space after the cooler was in place. In the end I built some plywood boxes because I couldn't find anything else that would work.

The bottom line, as others have said, putting a pull out in the rear of a Eurovan makes a huge difference for usability and accessibility.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here you can see the space for the cooler. You can also see plastic boxes that I use for under seat storage.

Here is the cooler out in the wild

Close up of the under seat area

I remove the front cover so that I can access the plastic boxes from the front.

bigfoot_ev or anyone, what is the make or source of that cargo slide featured in this mod, please? I'm not finding it through some preliminary Web searches. Thanks!
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

jmciii wrote:

bigfoot_ev or anyone, what is the make or source of that cargo slide featured in this mod, please? I'm not finding it through some preliminary Web searches. Thanks!

The slide I used was from Amazon and is linked in the first post of this thread
jmciii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

Thanks! Your implementation is really great. I was wondering if the grey carpeted slide from bigfoot_ev was just a full-on kit modified to fit. There are a lot of turnkey(ish) slide-outs for SUVs and pickups out there but nothing very stock for EVs. I might have to follow your method which you have made easy with the documentation. Happy New Year!
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

jmciii wrote:
I was wondering if the grey carpeted slide from bigfoot_ev was just a full-on kit modified to fit. Happy New Year!

Nope, not a kit but a full-on custom build based very heavily on studying markcm2 build plus a spanish site (chrome translate is great), even though it looks very different. If you are considering this mod I highly recommend taking the plunge.

I got my slides from cabinetparts.com only because they had a good price compared to Amazon for what I was looking for. Here's the link:
https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/fulterer-drawer-sli...c=referral

Good luck and Happy New Year.
jmciii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

Thank you. I have started my initiative.

In addition to markcm2's guide, I recommend this posting to anyone looking to implement a cargo slide:

https://www.t4-wiki.de/wiki/Heckschublade

I especially like the guidance on how to handle the offsets between the straight and curved posts of the bed frame. I am building a flat slide-out similar to bigfoot_ev but within the constraints of the stock framing. So, my drawer slides will need to sit almost at floor level. This person walks us through this in great detail.

(I'm eager to explore more of this Wiki out of Germany. It looks rich with ideas...)
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

jmciii wrote:
Thank you. I have started my initiative.

In addition to markcm2's guide, I recommend this posting to anyone looking to implement a cargo slide:

https://www.t4-wiki.de/wiki/Heckschublade

I especially like the guidance on how to handle the offsets between the straight and curved posts of the bed frame. I am building a flat slide-out similar to bigfoot_ev but within the constraints of the stock framing. So, my drawer slides will need to sit almost at floor level. This person walks us through this in great detail.

(I'm eager to explore more of this Wiki out of Germany. It looks rich with ideas...)

Thanks for sharing that wiki link -- it does look interesting!

Looking forward to seeing your project come to life. Smile
Popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

With all due respect to markcm2, I wasn't sure about posting pics of my slide in his thread. But I also didn't want to start a thread just to show a slightly different take.

This is a good place to share ideas on this specific topic. Let me know if I'm out of line.

That wiki that jmciii posted is really good. There is also a T5 version that is also useful: https://bau-ich-mir-selbst.de/selbstbauanregung-heckauszug-fuer-vw-t5-t6-california-multivan/

Here is the spanish site I mentioned. It goes on and on for pages with pull out ideas. This particular page is close to how I supported my slides: https://www.furgovw.org/index.php?topic=299434.msg3650177#msg3650177

I can also provide more details of my particular build but I didn't take build pictures.
007age
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

This looks great too! What did you secure those aluminum posts to? I was thinking about building something similar with T-Nutz, but wasn't sure how to properly secure them to the van.

bigfoot_ev wrote:

Here you can see the space for the cooler. You can also see plastic boxes that I use for under seat storage.

Here is the cooler out in the wild

Close up of the under seat area

I remove the front cover so that I can access the plastic boxes from the front.
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

007age wrote:
What did you secure those aluminum posts to? I was thinking about building something similar with T-Nutz, but wasn't sure how to properly secure them to the van.

I used a piece of wide flat bar bent into a right angle. I think it was 3" wide. The angles were then bolted to the existing mount points using the existing bolts. The forward angle pieces bend inward and the rear angles bend outward. I made the vertical portion long enough to bolt to the aluminum support and to the slide. Later I added another piece of flat bar bent to match the mount point on the rear fender. If you remove the EV rear support pieces that make up the bed portion in the rear you will have to remove 3 bolts for each side. Those are the mount points for my install.

All of the support structure is 8020 held together with T-Nutz. It has stayed very sturdy over many trips, not all paved roads either. If it's useful I could snap a few pics.
wtonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

beyondmp3 wrote:
Just wanted to chime in and say I really like the drawer setup, and I support everyone’s attempts to try to use that difficult space below the rear bed on the MV’s. I made a similar drawer a while back (great minds?) - very similar I would say in overall shape and construction. I added a cutting board and silverware tray cutout which ended up working very well. Here’s a couple photos:

This ‘93 van has just finally died and I’m just beginning the process of moving all the goodies to a 2000 GLS I just picked up. We shall see how it goes!

hi- how did you attach the drawer slides to the van? I see they seem to be from your photo that it's screwed into the side of your factory drawers. Is that true? Would love to see photos if you have it.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:
This thread documents the construction of a rear cargo area pullout drawer for our 2001 T4 Eurovan weekender and will list a few considerations I came across while building, pictures, measurements and such.

My design intent was to utilize as much space as possible under the rear deck and I wanted the drawer to extend about half way under the rear bench seat when closed to retain some usable space from the access holes in the front of the bench seat. I wanted soft close hinges and a decent drawer-slide extension to allow the drawer to pull out far enough that we can reach into the back of it. I also wanted an access hole from the rear face of the drawer which I could slide our telescoping ladder in and out of. I think I've achieved most of this, on to the documentation.

Materials:

*1 full 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" plywood (I bought prefinished)
*1 2'x4' sheet of 1/2" plywood (for my ladder compartment)
*2 24" soft close drawer slides (Amazon ASIN B015GMRIDI, claimed to be 100lb)
* 2pcs of 1/8" thick 2" aluminum (bought from Lowes hardware)
*1 bottle wood glue
* box of 1-1/4" wood screws

Tools I used:

*Drill with countersink bit
*Screw gun/Drill
*Table saw
*Circular saw
*Jig saw
*Hand Belt sander
*Table belt sander
*Hand scroll saw (for finishing cuts I made with a circular saw)

Key things I learned and had to adjust for were (all of this is shown in my pictures too):

*The trunk cargo area isn't level, if you mount the drawer slides "square" or "parallel" to the shelf support the drawer will naturally want to self close. Not a bad thing but be aware you might want a latch to hold the drawer open. I cut mine so that when you pull the drawer out, the last few inches of the top of the drawer drag on the bottom of the shelf. This friction holds the drawer open but I caution that getting this fit was more luck than skill.
*Make sure the drawer slides protrude no more than 3" past the center of the rear support leg to avoid interference with the rear hatch and drawer (shown in images)
* Leave a little clarance between the the top of the drawer and the bottom of the shelf, and air tight fit doesnt do you any good and the shelf/bed will flex some with weight such as an ice box.
* I had to notch out for the front bars/legs of the rear shelf support bar (shown in my pictures below)
*mount the drawer slides at least 2.25" below the top of the rear shelf frame work to avoid your slide from interfering with the latches of the top shelf and its framework.
*To measure the rear most clearance, I put masking tape strips on the threshold then closed the rear hatch and climbed in the back with the shelf/bed removed and marked the inside of the rear hatch on the tape. These marks came in handy when dry fitting the drawer before mounting the slides.
*Tip- When cutting plywood, put masking tap on the cut line and use a good finish blade; this will greatly reduce splintering.

Here we go with the images:

I started with some measurements of the rear of the van (numbers are for reference and may have changed slightly during construction):

Then drafted an idea of what I wanted the drawer to look like and applied the measurements (numbers are for reference and may have changed slightly during construction):

Started cutting, gluing, and screwing the parts together (I pre-drilled all the holes):

Mounted the 2" backing plates to the frame of the shelf support:

When dry fitting the drawer, I found that the drawer hit the forward legs of the rear shelf support and had to cut a 4"x4" relief. I patched the driver's side hole on the inside of the drawer and since my ladder compartment covered the majority of the hole on the passenger side I left it well enough alone:

Next was putting the drawer slides on the the drawer. First I dry fit the drawer in the van and marked the top of the slides on the sides of the drawer. I then removed the drawer and the slides and mounted them to the drawer about 1/4" offset to ensure I'd have some clearance. I started with just two of the slotted mouting holes so I could make some height adjustments; once I had it where I wanted it, I finished installing the mounting screws in the drawer slide. The bolts from the forward shelf support legs gave me some hassle due to their height.

For my ladder "compartment", I cut an access hole in the rear face, secured a support ledge to the side of the drawer and then built a cover. I cut it such that it fits in pretty snug, it stays in place but I can pull it out if we needed the extra space.

Here are a few more shots with measurements:

And here are a few shots of it installed:

Mark; a couple of questions: how long is the 1/8”x 2“ aluminum strip and how are you attaching it to the van or the bed support legs? I see in one of your pictures what looks like some countersunk flat head machine screws, nuts and washers did you possibly drill through the bed support legs and then thread those through your strip? And then how did you attach the drawer slide to the 1/8 x 2 inch aluminum Strip?

Also when you talk about a “dry fit” are you just sliding the box after you built it into the back of the van with it sitting on the carpet? And then your mention of quarter inch of space is that you’re raising the drawer off of the carpet by 1/4 inch?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
Mark; a couple of questions: how long is the 1/8”x 2“ aluminum strip and how are you attaching it to the van or the bed support legs? I see in one of your pictures what looks like some countersunk flat head machine screws, nuts and washers did you possibly drill through the bed support legs and then thread those through your strip? And then how did you attach the drawer slide to the 1/8 x 2 inch aluminum Strip?

Also when you talk about a “dry fit” are you just sliding the box after you built it into the back of the van with it sitting on the carpet? And then your mention of quarter inch of space is that you’re raising the drawer off of the carpet by 1/4 inch?

It's great to see people diving into this project and creating their own unique designs; I'll say it once more, this mod is a priceless addition to the EV, worth your time and will enhance your enjoyment!

I encourage new comers to look at the different designs presented in this thread, or other threads, and "fill in the blanks" or customize to their own liking. When it comes to specific "how did you" questions, there are quite a few details that if not captured in the images and write up, are lost. The only inspiration or reference I had going into this was my buddy had built one. I really liked it, it was very similar to what I ended up with in general design; as far as I know his only inspiration was the need for pull out storage. I looked at his finished product, took a few pictures, complimented him on his excellent work then got out my spiral note book and started sketching out my ideas to build up what he had done. The results are the stepped design to maximize capacity and the ladder compartment.

Our beloved "Pearl" (that is our van's name) is now serving a new family in their adventures so I can no longer "check a measurement; what's documented here is all there is.

Regarding these questions:

-I don't recall how long the aluminum bars were but what I do recall is that they were cut specifically to match the Aft end off the slide and then "went to the forward bar". The Aft position of the slide was just based on what was needed while I dry fit everything, checking clearances and maximizing how far out I could pull the drawer. With this in mind, the slide was specifically aligned to its aft-most position, as you can see in the picture, there is about 2" inches gap from the front end of the slide to the forward end of the aluminum bar.

-For attachment of the aluminum backer bar and the slides, yes, I drilled holes in the backer bar, transferred/marked the holes on the uprights (aka: bed support legs) and then drilled the bed support bars. I used counter sunk taper head bolts passing through the drilled holes with lock washers and nuts on the outboard sides. I also used bolts with nuts to fasten the slides to the backer bars.

-"Dry fit", I think you got it right. What I meant was to check fitment such as placing the drawer in the trunk area (before anything is bolted up) to check for interference, make sure my measurements were right. If you notice, where the box gets a bit more narrow toward the front, there are some creative cuts...this was from me trying to maximize the capacity of the drawer and finding some interference when dry fitting. I made some of those cuts after my initial design and build of the drawer.

-I'm not sure where the "1/4" comment is but it sounds reasonable that it was related to clearance and potentially when locating the slides on the side of the box as it was sitting "dry fit" in the truck area.

Cheers and good luck to all with their drawer projects!!!
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:
bcolins wrote:

It's great to see people diving into this project and creating their own unique designs; I'll say it once more, this mod is a priceless addition to the EV, worth your time and will enhance your enjoyment!
Mark, thanks for responding with your thoughts about your build. If you had to do again would you make the drawer the full length of the space or would you still leave those five or 6 inches behind the plastic covers under the backseat
I encourage new comers to look at the different designs presented in this thread, or other threads, and "fill in the blanks" or customize to their own liking. When it comes to specific "how did you" questions, there are quite a few details that if not captured in the images and write up, are lost. The only inspiration or reference I had going into this was my buddy had built one. I really liked it, it was very similar to what I ended up with in general design; as far as I know his only inspiration was the need for pull out storage. I looked at his finished product, took a few pictures, complimented him on his excellent work then got out my spiral note book and started sketching out my ideas to build up what he had done. The results are the stepped design to maximize capacity and the ladder compartment.

Our beloved "Pearl" (that is our van's name) is now serving a new family in their adventures so I can no longer "check a measurement; what's documented here is all there is.

Regarding these questions:

-I don't recall how long the aluminum bars were but what I do recall is that they were cut specifically to match the Aft end off the slide and then "went to the forward bar". The Aft position of the slide was just based on what was needed while I dry fit everything, checking clearances and maximizing how far out I could pull the drawer. With this in mind, the slide was specifically aligned to its aft-most position, as you can see in the picture, there is about 2" inches gap from the front end of the slide to the forward end of the aluminum bar.

-For attachment of the aluminum backer bar and the slides, yes, I drilled holes in the backer bar, transferred/marked the holes on the uprights (aka: bed support legs) and then drilled the bed support bars. I used counter sunk taper head bolts passing through the drilled holes with lock washers and nuts on the outboard sides. I also used bolts with nuts to fasten the slides to the backer bars.

-"Dry fit", I think you got it right. What I meant was to check fitment such as placing the drawer in the trunk area (before anything is bolted up) to check for interference, make sure my measurements were right. If you notice, where the box gets a bit more narrow toward the front, there are some creative cuts...this was from me trying to maximize the capacity of the drawer and finding some interference when dry fitting. I made some of those cuts after my initial design and build of the drawer.

-I'm not sure where the "1/4" comment is but it sounds reasonable that it was related to clearance and potentially when locating the slides on the side of the box as it was sitting "dry fit" in the truck area.

Mark thanks for sharing your thoughts on your build, I do appreciate it. One more question for you if you had it to do again would you make the drawer the full length of the entire space underneath the bed or would you again make it 6 inches shorter than that space to leave some little cubby space behind the plastic access doors?
Cheers and good luck to all with their drawer projects!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

While depth of the drawer is personal preference, We really liked having that bit of space left to access from the cabin and would do it this way again if we repeated it.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:
While depth of the drawer is personal preference, We really liked having that bit of space left to access from the cabin and would do it this way again if we repeated it.

Mark, Hi, Brian Collins here again. I will be building this drawer out of some new Baltic Birch plywood this month. Do you happen to recall what size hardware you used to attach the drawer slides and what size holes you drilled in the vertical supports. Also curious how did you ensure That the holes for the slider bolts were drilled dead center and straight through the vertical supports? I do have a concern about drilling holes through the vertical supports did you find it to be a sturdy and durable set up?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
markcm2 wrote:

Mark, Hi, Brian Collins here again. I will be building this drawer out of some new Baltic Birch plywood this month. Do you happen to recall what size hardware you used to attach the drawer slides and what size holes you drilled in the vertical supports. Also curious how did you ensure That the holes for the slider bolts were drilled dead center and straight through the vertical supports? I do have a concern about drilling holes through the vertical supports did you find it to be a sturdy and durable set up?

I do not recall exactly which size screw I used for attaching the rails, you can see them in one of the pictures and use that for comparison.

Regarding stability, yes, this was very sturdy and I had not concerns what so ever.

For drilling, I held the rail in place, marked the upright, used a punch to dimple where I wanted to drill and then drilled freehand. This was plenty accurate, no issues. Going by memory, I may have drilled a smaller pilot hole first and then followed up with the final drill size but I don't fully remember.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pull out drawer project documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: