Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hi rev springs data
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

hello, i would like to ask if you have some data, like compression, tension of several aftermarket Single hi rev valve springs..?
bugpack, empi, scat, engle, cb performance
i would like to know which is the harshest and the softest..thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

The data is all out on the web if you do a little googling.

How much spring do you need?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

Cb Performance has their singles listed at 1.500" gives you @ 120 lbs., and @ .500'' lift gives you 220 lbs. Their higher end VW650 dual spring is 1.540" gives you @ 160 lbs., and @ .630'' gives you 420 lbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

One thing you have to keep in mind is all HD singles have little to no damping control. They go into a harmonic dance if pushed hard, thus they don't last very long and will require periodic replacement. Tell us more about your valve train and your intended usage for better advice. Remember, not enough spring will do more damage than too much.

Dan
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
One thing you have to keep in mind is all HD singles have little to no damping control. They go into a harmonic dance if pushed hard, thus they don't last very long and will require periodic replacement. Tell us more about your valve train and your intended usage for better advice. Remember, not enough spring will do more damage than too much.

Dan

I am constantly telling people this. They get so caught up on the idea of increased oil temp with dual springs, but forget that temps are easily controlled, but valve float and premature wear due to not enough spring is not. Anything I build with bigger than a 110 cam with 1.1 rockers gets dual springs and half of those even need shimmed
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

There are a few stronger single springs, hopefully someone can give you numbers on these.

Hi Rev singles - probably the lowest above stock
VW650 - some use just the outer spring only and this gives more force than a "Hi Rev" Singles
Pretty sure this is a european or another manufacturer making a pretty stiff single spring as well, not sure how it compares to the VW650 outer though.

I plan on using VW650 outers only with a 42mm intake valve but will also do a light valve train. (Aluminum pushrods, lightweight lifters, titanium retainers)
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

Found my notes on a post from Pat on Facebook:

VW650's good up to 7k wth 42mm valve
120lb seat
270lb lift
Not sure the lift...or the rest of the valve train, that's what I wrote down so check the rest of your combo out as well.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Remember, not enough spring will do more damage than too much.

this needs to be repeated over and over and over again till it is beat into peoples heads. You are far better off with too much spring then from not enough.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:

Dan

I've heard this all the time and was wondering is it a certain RPM that this starts to happen??
I'm sure there is all kinda variables you could factor in but for simplicity sake let's use the old W110 as a reference.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

any single spring has a frequency, which results in nodes which occur at certian rpms where the spring is more apt to surge.
It is very much luck exactly where these nodes will be VS the actual limit from just sprung force.
You might run out of spring force at 6000 rpm, or hit a node 1000rpm sooner.
Could be made better or worse by how much flex is in your pushrods or exactly how the cam is ground.

IMO it is always a good idea to run springs near bind, because the frequency of a spring goes up AS it binds.

Progressive wound springs, beehive, conical, oval wire, dual springs, are all ways of making spring have a less pronounced single harmonic frequency VS a normal spring.
Dampeners and tight fitting spring seats and tight fit duals also dampen spring surge with friction.
The lighter the spring is for what force it puts out means a higher frequency, which is usually better, tho the only way to get more force out of a smaller spring is use better materials.

The engle 110 does not have any wild amount of lift or peak velocity, but it does have rather abrupt transition from lash to max velocity, maybe this does roughly match the usual practice of using springs with a lot of seat pressure not set to any particular height.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

Dan

I've heard this all the time and was wondering is it a certain RPM that this starts to happen??
I'm sure there is all kinda variables you could factor in but for simplicity sake let's use the old W110 as a reference.

I ran a 1776 with an Engle 110, and imo, it fell off flat around 5500 with the particular heads/carbs. Same engine with a different cam, a Crower 61004, pulled to 6500. Both engines were abused at the drag strip. The butt dyno knew when it was time to shift, so the early engine never made it to 6000. Knowing that single springs probably wouldn’t live past 6000, I tried to limit my enthusiasm with the later engine, which didn’t work.... The early engine had no issues with singles in 45k miles. The later had a valve seat come loose around 10k miles.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

So from the information I've been reading and again I like to keep it simple.

Up to 5000 rpm you're in the green.

Between 5000 & 6000 you're in the yellow.

And above 6000 rpm you're on your own.

For me it boils down to how I drive the car 90-95% of the time anyway.
If I have to pile on heavy duty everything for just 5-10% of my driving I choose not to.

I guess it's really up to the individual to take a realistic look at what they need as opposed to they want.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

QRP wrote:

If I have to pile on heavy duty everything for just 5-10% of my driving I choose not to.

I guess it's really up to the individual to take a realistic look at what they need as opposed to they want.

It is STILL more cam/parts related than anything else. For street cars. As long as you keep using the "tried and true" grinds from the 1960-1970 era which on top of being old is also often very unprecise ground, you WILL run into severe harmonics and you WILL need more spring pressure than "technicly" nessessary.
Some of the newer assymetrical cams have been lab tested in 5 x 20 minutes of 5000 rpm sustained 95% load, with stock springs shimmed to 1,48" installed and 0,381" cam lift. (In this case a stock valved 1600, dual carbs etc peaking at 90 hp @ 5000) 105 degree C oil temp 200 degree C. head temps. No valve float detected.)
I will admit that it is not an easy task chosing correct spring pressure for a given set up, because very few people actually know. Nobody can try and test all the combo´s.
And Tom, yes. The Crower cams were actually not that bad.

As for spring tension. I don´t even know Empi´s values. Not sure I have ever used any. and Bugpack has been gone for a long time, apart from maybe some nos ones.
Std type sgl. springs @ 1":
CB. 200-205 lbs.
Scat. 210-215.
Oteva 1016 S75. 220.
Oteva S90. 230
CB 650 outer. 240
Oteva 1017 S75. 250

Duals:
CB. 280 lbs.
Scat. 300-310
Oteva S75 mild dual. 330
Oteva S75 HD dual. 350
CB 650. 350.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

Also remember that springs seat pressures are for "new" springs.
Run it for 5min and they will all lose some seat pressure.
A year later, they are down a bit more.

So, better to over spring and not worry about fading.

Also, if you run anything more than a stock spring, you NEED chromoly retainers. Stock ones are just stamped steel and will pull thru with any sort of heavy spring.

I put 650's in almost everything any more. You can set them up "loose" for lower seat pressure and they will last forever in a mild application.
Also, being shot peened and TiN coated makes them less likely to break or fail.

Agreed that anything that's getting 6,000rpm or higher needs duals just to dampen out the harmonics.

Berg triple springs are really good at dampening, but they create alot of friction and can overheat if pushed for more than a 1/4mi blast. I have seen them overheat and break.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

Valve float can happen from how quickly a valve increases RPM and not just how high RPM the engine revs. Valve float can happen at 3000 RPM.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

I'm running PAC ovate beehive's , chromoly retainers , 47mm stainless valves , redline at 7000 ,so far 30,000km 3 years , no issues with the springs .
I went with beehives because I didn't want to weaken the guide boss area by cutting for dual springs .
I've fitted Autocraft style spray bars that squirt on the springs that will help cooling so I think I'll get good life out of them , lift is 0.570" duration 274.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

If I was to look into single springs I would use beehive. I never liked that VW singles don't have a damper spring. The shape of the beehive helps with harmonics. Duals should have a interference fit to help but the CB duals I removed don't..
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

For those who have not watched this yet.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=...Hw3mWYgO6M
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

QRP wrote:

Yes, generally between 5k-6k. Definitely above 6k on common cams, but still depending on lots of variables.

I personally would build the engine with the springs required for 100% of your driving. My issue was a result of less than 100 out of 10k miles. If you aren’t wanting dual springs, you need to create some type of rev limiter to always keep you at/below your “safe” rpm.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

All very good info above from people with far more experience than I'll ever have!
I figured the beehives would pop up at some point.

I always find it amazing how some new technology is soaked up quicker than beer at a frat party and some not.
Example - ignition systems have moved far beyond the tried and true 009 / blue coil combo and some will spend hundreds on the ignition system alone

BUT!!!

Beehive springs are bypassing when it comes to valve train, from my limited knowledge they are far superior to the old technology.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: