Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

62 Beetle Transmission issues?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevinHite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: 62 Beetle Transmission issues? Reply with quote

Hello!

I recently rebuilt the motor for my bug, new clutch, pressure plate, new clutch cable, new accelerator cable, new pedal assembly, new throw out bearing. New Bowden tube & new shift coupler.

I finally tied the fuel lines, fuel tank, wires etc into the motor and started it up, sounded great and runs great... in neutral..

So I know there is an issue with the aftermarket pedal assembly (CIP1 VWC-113-798-071-C ) - clutch pedal doesn’t seem to have enough room to push the throwout bearing arm to shift gears.

Anyway on to more issues.

So when I start the motor in neutral the motor will idle and run great as it should, but as soon as I force it into gear (since the clutch pedal won’t disengage to shift gears - I really gotta jam it in there) the wheels will not spin, and when I push the accelerator pedal down it almost sounds as if a cable wire is spinning around... or will they? Upon getting out and inspecting, the passenger wheel did look like it was moving gravel and dug me into a hole. The driver side seems as though it didn’t do anything.

When I try to start the bug without pushing the clutch and in first gear the motor barely cranks over (almost sounding like trying to start a motor with the battery going dead)

I do remember when I installed the motor and started it with an external fuel tank both wheels would spin (in opposite directions - slowly) during idle while on a jack.

So upon doing research here before posting this my plan today is to raise the rear of the bug off the ground with a jack, turn the car on and see if the tires do indeed spin in idle, and to try to pop it in first gear and see if accelerating makes them move quicker.

My questions are though, could it be anything else? Could the pressure plate or clutch plate cause these issues? Are there any other ways to diagnose this? I really don’t want to have to pull the transmission if I can avoid it, so I’m trying to check all other options before resorting to that issue.

Thanks! Look forward to the insight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Beetle Transmission issues? Reply with quote

I'd for sure focus on clutch issue(s) first, especially since something doesn't seem correct with your new pedal assembly.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DevinHite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Beetle Transmission issues? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I'd for sure focus on clutch issue(s) first, especially since something doesn't seem correct with your new pedal assembly.

When I put the pedal assembly in, I forgot the brake stop bracket, so I ordered one and installed it. However it seems where it is placed on the floor it seems the clutch and brake pedals are too far “pushed in” (towards the front of the firewall.)

***A side note on that, correct me if I’m wrong but with the brake pedal - the master cylinder pin should not be pushing on the master cylinder at all until the brake is pressed correct? (The reason I ask is because where the brake stop is, the brake pedal is also causing the pin to push on the master cylinder without even compressing the brake by foot)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Beetle Transmission issues? Reply with quote

DevinHite wrote:
When I put the pedal assembly in, I forgot the brake stop bracket, so I ordered one and installed it. However it seems where it is placed on the floor it seems the clutch and brake pedals are too far “pushed in” (towards the front of the firewall.)

This sounds like the pedal stop needs to be adjusted or the adjustment slot is too short, thus not allowing for proper adjustment. You should have at minimum 7 7/8" distance from the firewall to the brake pedal when it's at rest. Adjusting the brake pedal position also alters the clutch pedal position, which should fix the insufficient travel problem with it as well.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DevinHite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Beetle Transmission issues? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
DevinHite wrote:

This sounds like the pedal stop needs to be adjusted or the adjustment slot is too short, thus not allowing for proper adjustment. You should have at minimum 7 7/8" distance from the firewall to the brake pedal when it's at rest. Adjusting the brake pedal position also alters the clutch pedal position, which should fix the insufficient travel problem with it as well.

I’ll start there since I am aware of that issue. I’m going to bend the flange on the aftermarket pedal assembly. I’ll update in a couple of days. I knew the throwout bearing was too tight, and the brake pin. I’ll update as soon as I can.

Thanks for the img. 7 7/8 let me know where it should be!
DevinHite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Beetle Transmission issues? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
DevinHite wrote:

What you told me worked. Measured out to 7 7/8” and was able to take it on the maiden voyage. Thanks a lot for the help! And the img
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: