Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do NOT buy Latest Rage Combo Spindles at this time!!!!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PacificCustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy Latest Rage Combo Spindles at this time!!!!!! Reply with quote

We can help if you would like to give us a call @ Pacific Customs. 951-738-8380 or [email protected].
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy Latest Rage Combo Spindles at this time!!!!!! Reply with quote

Just called Pacific Customs and talked to Christopher. He said they've dealt with this issue before and have bushings that will fit.

Cool. Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72BajaBen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy Latest Rage Combo Spindles at this time!!!!!! Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Woods and Foddrill are good but very expensive. Like 2-4x the price of Latest Rage. And there is no Tweeds any more. The original, Cecil Wright has been gone for decades.

You said it right here. The good ones are 2-4x the price. For that price difference you have to get bushing's made. I think you are still ahead of the game. I know ifs frustrating, but that's the gamble you take when you go the cheap route. Its not like its an unsolvable problem.

Build thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9762332
dirtGocart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy Latest Rage Combo Spindles at this time!!!!!! Reply with quote

Question: How did this work out?

Question2: What size pin bushing do I need for latest rage lift spindles?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy Latest Rage Combo Spindles at this time!!!!!! Reply with quote

dirtGocart wrote:
Question: How did this work out?

If you read through the whole thread, you will find that in spite of my being unhappy about it, I epoxied the normal size bushings in place before Pacific Customs told me they could get oversize bushings.

dirtGocart wrote:
Question2: What size pin bushing do I need for latest rage lift spindles?

There are 2 sizes of bushing, in theory. 18mm and 22 mm. Those are the 2 sizes that link pins come in. a great many knuckleheads refer to them by inch sizes that are kinda close, but not right. They call them "5/8" and "7/8". The so called "5/8" are standard VW Bug link pin size. The "7/8" are standard Bus link pin size. The bushing OD SHOULD BE all the same, which is standard Bug bushing OD, and the bores in the link SHOULD BE all the same, which is standard Bug bushing bore diameter. The bore in the end of the arms must match the pins being used. The reamer tool that you need to have is just standard VW Bug 18mm or 22mm Bus size.

Whether the current batch of Latest Rage Combo Links for the lift spindles are mis-reamed like the ones for the standard height spindles will have to be checked out by someone willing to take the risk and buy them.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtGocart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy Latest Rage Combo Spindles at this time!!!!!! Reply with quote

So you stayed with the epoxied in bushings?

From your last post I wasn't sure if you where going to buy the Pacific Customs bushings.

After posting this I ended up just buying the latest rage 3inch lift spindles. No idea on the production date but stock sized bushings fit perfectly.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy Latest Rage Combo Spindles at this time!!!!!! Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Just called Pacific Customs and talked to Christopher. He said they've dealt with this issue before and have bushings that will fit.

Cool. Cool

This post above was intended to advise others about a fix for the problem, if they had bought the spindles and found they had the same problem I had. By the time Pacific Customs spoke up to tell me they had the fix, I had already epoxied the bushings into the combo links quite a while before. In fact, this entire thread was put up to advise others about the problem and the "I don't give a damn about my customers" attitude of the owners of Latest Rage.

I'm glad your lifted spindles did NOT have the problem.
SoCalBajas Member
BajaBrian54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy Latest Rage Combo Spindles at this time!!!!!! Reply with quote

Well, I just went through this bushing ordeal myself as I purchased some LR lift combo spindles in oct 21'. And reading these posts assumed that the carrier was machined too big for the stock LP bushings, but after trying to rebuild the stock gusseted spindles I had on my baja for spares, I realized the problem I was having was the actual bushing was undersized not the spindles as the bushings fell right through numerous stock lp spindles I had. So apparently empi as usual dropped the ball and is pushing shit that doesn't fit. But if anyone needs undersized bushings I have a pile now...As mentioned above Pacific Customs is the only supplier that carries the right od bushings..Now the only thing that bothers me is the crazy caster..I have it shimmed a lot to pull top of the wheels as much without binding and still have to much angle in.. I have lr 2 1/4x1 arms to match as well
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Do NOT buy Latest Rage Combo Spindles at this time!!!!!! Reply with quote

Hey Dusty if you purchased those spindles with a credit card , did you consider contacting them? Most cc companies will open a case and possibly do a credit reversal, maybe you could get your money back that way?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: