Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

any one ever run a Amr 500 and amr300 super charger for a vw
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: any one ever run a Amr 500 and amr300 super charger for a vw Reply with quote

hi i see these Amr 500 and amr 300 super chargers on you tube. in the UK and USA any one ever run one on the vw ? if so how did they run on a vw motor ? thanks i see them on ebay for around $200 to $250 are they junk or do they hold up ? spencerfvee i have added some photos of a amr super charger on motors
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by spencerfvee on Mon May 10, 2021 10:02 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: any one ever run a Amr 500 and amr300 super charger Reply with quote

Mario at The dubshop sells a kit and parts
http://thedubshop.com/products/packaged-kits/amr-supercharger-with-efi/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: any one ever run a Amr 500 and amr300 super charger Reply with quote

terryly wrote:
Mario at The dubshop sells a kit and parts
http://thedubshop.com/products/packaged-kits/amr-supercharger-with-efi/
......................................thanks for the info on the amr super charger spencerfvee
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: any one ever run a Amr 500 and amr300 super charger for a vw Reply with quote

I think they wood be fine, I thought about putting 2 of them on my roadster(2.4L engine) but no room to do so. I also have one of the high helix eatons I thought about putting on it with a clutch so it dont eat up the fuel when not stabbing it. but that wood be tight too. there was a oe super made for that engine but...that was only put in east/west engines mine is north south and the super's housing would have to be cut and wellded all to hell or...the intake would be almost between my knees.... the engine is alreat 10.4 cr. a turbo would be easyer..and better mpg too. but it's too much like work. Ill build a header first & tune it.should be good for around 25-30 hp witch should be enough.... if not...a turbo may be in my future...(low 5-6 psi),
If I were building a small vw engine...yes for sure one or 2 of those amr500's...possiabloy 2 on my 2393 Shocked but I doubt it. I would however use intercooler for them either for 1 or 2 superchargers,IMHO it's just plain stupid not to intercool a turbo or super chargers. a 10-71 supercharger can boil 85 degree watter on just 1 pass through it....thats removing a lot of heat. some of the subys had issues with the innercooler above the engine fed through the hood scoop... hard balst then come to a stop where there is no air to cool the charge it just thows all that collected hot air&heat soaked innercooler into the heads...and the pistons could not take it when the thing was stabed again... they should of put a fan on them too operated off the speed sensor.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: any one ever run a Amr 500 and amr300 super charger for a vw Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I think they wood be fine, I thought about putting 2 of them on my roadster(2.4L engine) but no room to do so. I also have one of the high helix eatons I thought about putting on it with a clutch so it dont eat up the fuel when not stabbing it. but that wood be tight too. there was a oe super made for that engine but...that was only put in east/west engines mine is north south and the super's housing would have to be cut and wellded all to hell or...the intake would be almost between my knees.... the engine is alreat 10.4 cr. a turbo would be easyer..and better mpg too. but it's too much like work. Ill build a header first & tune it.should be good for around 25-30 hp witch should be enough.... if not...a turbo may be in my future...(low 5-6 psi),
If I were building a small vw engine...yes for sure one or 2 of those amr500's...possiabloy 2 on my 2393 Shocked but I doubt it. I would however use intercooler for them either for 1 or 2 superchargers,IMHO it's just plain stupid not to intercool a turbo or super chargers. a 10-71 supercharger can boil 85 degree watter on just 1 pass through it....thats removing a lot of heat. some of the subys had issues with the innercooler above the engine fed through the hood scoop... hard balst then come to a stop where there is no air to cool the charge it just thows all that collected hot air&heat soaked innercooler into the heads...and the pistons could not take it when the thing was stabed again... they should of put a fan on them too operated off the speed sensor.
.................................................................................................................................................................................................................hi mark thanks for the input . by reading your post the amr 500 must be ok .to use. it would be cool to run two of them on a motor . but making a drive belt system would be a night mare . to make.. i could do what the custom car builders did in a 70s and 60s put one super charger on top of the other super charger lol .i dont know if that would pump more air and fuel to the carb . i was all so bench racing on a blow through the carb deal . that might work out better if one would want to use a engine deck lid . i just might buy two of the super chargers for the fun of it . oh god my drug is building vws . i think i need to go into rehab lol lol take care mark spencerfvee
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: any one ever run a Amr 500 and amr300 super charger for a vw Reply with quote

Nothing particularly wrong with the AMR.

They are small.....as in small displacement.

As Mark was saying it would take 2 or more to do anything significant for a stroker motor.
On a 1600 (which is larger than what a 500 is designed for) you hafta spin it to its maximum rpm (pulley ratio) to achieve a few pounds.

And like Mark ..... I looked into doing a pair of them.
I did not do it ... I just went larger engine.

I do like a blower......had a lot of fun with them in years gone by (not on vw).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: any one ever run a Amr 500 and amr300 super charger for a vw Reply with quote

A guy in town runs one on his 1600. He said he likes it. I've never seen him goose it..

Not much help I know.. he's had it awhile.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: any one ever run a Amr 500 and amr300 super charger for a vw Reply with quote

I thought about running dual amr 300s on my 1385 but found out it would be a challenge to figure out the mounts.

I know with singles, many people have done it.

Log on over at shop talk and hit the search button. Theres tons of info over on that site about the amr set ups. Another reason I kinda wish STF could of been thriving still.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: any one ever run a Amr 500 and amr300 super charger for a vw Reply with quote

ive seen alot of ppl doing it lately or maybe its just been alot of posts from a facespace group im on..?
i think their an easy way for a guy to get some added h.p. if their afraid of a turbo or said guy has driven a car with a turbo that was to big and had too much lag so they think all have bad lag.
seems all the posts ive seen guys are happy with these amr type superchargers on their vw's.
i looked into putting an eaton m90 on a vw but at 10lbs of boost it takes 50hp to run it and anything above that boost it becomes more inefficient and generates alot of heat. 10bs is nothing for a turbo and given the option id go turbo.
but like i said, i haven't seen a single complaint from guys with these superchargers on their vw's and they do look and sound pretty cool, so more power to them ( literally and figuratively )
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: any one ever run a Amr 500 and amr300 super charger for a vw Reply with quote

heres a recent build. last page has pics of engine in car and video.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691687
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: