Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

which intake manifold gaskets for Type 4 carbureted?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: which intake manifold gaskets for Type 4 carbureted? Reply with quote

The guy I bought my carbs from told me not to use the four thin paper gaskets in my gasket set, because they are for fuel injection. So I got two thick gaskets off the internet. But while I waited from them to arrive I read something on here that made me realize that I already have four individual metal gaskets in my gasket set. So which to use? Thick paper or metal gaskets? And if metal, does the ridge go up or down? Does it matter?

Follow up, when I disassembled this engine I found phenolic spacers under the intake manifolds. I think these are for fuel injection, and should not go back on?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: which intake manifold gaskets for Type 4 carbureted? Reply with quote

The bake a lite thick gaskets were for the fuel inj models, the metal gaskets were for the stock carb model from 72-74 model and doesnt matter which way they get installed, if your running after market dual carbs I would go with the thick one's you purchased and just fyi it wouldn't hurt anything if you ran the metal one;s or the thick FI inj gaskets
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: which intake manifold gaskets for Type 4 carbureted? Reply with quote

The bake a lite thick FI gaskets guys in hot climates like to use to isolate the carbs from the heat from the engine heads.

Keep in mind they also raise the the carbs, which causes the linkage to need some modifications to operate the carbs correctly.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: which intake manifold gaskets for Type 4 carbureted? Reply with quote

With the fuelie, you want the manifolds cool, for density, and the vacuum and injector provide enough initial vaporisation.

The carbs want hot intake manifolds to help vaporise the fine mist of droplets coming out of the carb.
dlwilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: which intake manifold gaskets for Type 4 carbureted? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I used the thick paper gaskets, and no phenolic spacer block.

I couldn't find the right size for the carb gaskets, so I made my own out of Felpro 3157 rubber fiber sheet

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: which intake manifold gaskets for Type 4 carbureted? Reply with quote

Go with the steel gaskets. One time use only, but they seal well and transfer heat to the manifold to prevent icing in cool humid weather. I install them with the flat surface against the head, and the ridge against the manifold.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: which intake manifold gaskets for Type 4 carbureted? Reply with quote

The stock dual carbs had a spacer between the manifolds and carbs. The spacers are also recommended for carbs like Weber ICT’s with short manifolds to prevent fuel from boiling in the float bowl which I have had happen with ICT’s.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: which intake manifold gaskets for Type 4 carbureted? Reply with quote

Yes, there was a 6mm thick phenolic spacer beneath the carburetor, and a paper gasket on either side.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: