Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

I have been on the limb regarding this muffler for a while. I want a stock style muffler with a stock sound (I know I am asking to much) , but with a little more flow. I was interested in the Vintage Speed muffler, but I haven't seen much info regarding this muffler, so I thought I would take the plunge and post my opinion.

I got this recently at CIP1 for $373 with free shipping. Pretty good price I believe.

The welds are decent. Not great but they are okay. When unboxing I actually got several cuts in my finger tips from the some of the metal edges left over on the rolled ends of the muffler. Kind of annoying to say the least.

Before I install it I will get a before video of the exhaust note and after the install.

Here are some pics.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

Along these same lines, anyone ever buy the CSP T4 version of this exhaust?
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/exhaust-2-tip-251-004-002-12593a.html

H2OSB
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

CSP or VS. The main difference is the manufacturer and the way they weld, or at least almost. Both are nice for stock or mild cammed engines if you want a stockish look The advertised approx 90 hp upper limit is serius. Pushing them further can be done, but the back pressure increases rapidly. We don´t want that. I have used them up to 240 degrees @ 0,050" cam duration with decent results. They are NOT performance exhausts as such, but they do not get advertised as such either.

The type 4 version can -almost- be rated the same way, however, with the type 4 primaries you can get a little more even pulsing from the cylinders. Decent overall performance with peak power up to around 5500 rpm. If the engine peaks higher it will cost a little, but the midrange driveability is generally good.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
CSP or VS. The main difference is the manufacturer and the way they weld

I got to see a VS muffler last week and I agree the welds are nicer on the VS.

I have been running the CSP muffler for a week. It is slightly more throaty than the stock Kadron. My butt dyno says I have a little more grunt with the addition of this muffler. The CIP1 hardware sucked, but I believe the muffler was worth the cost.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

I'm very interested to knyhow quiet that thing is. Please keep us updated.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

I can tell you right off, think about a stock VW Bug with the two standard Pea Shooters that plug into the stock exhaust.

That is the stock exhaust sound from the factory. The pea shooters have baffles in each one.

Remove the pea shooters and the sound gets quite loud even with a stock muffler.

Are the stainless steel muffler stock replacements or are they performance mufflers. If they are stock replacement the will be as loud as a stock muffler without pea shooters.

If a performance muffler--- much louder.

That said, I guess pea shooter will fit on the SS mufflers, to help quite it down.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
I can tell you right off, think about a stock VW Bug with the two standard Pea Shooters that plug into the stock exhaust.

That is the stock exhaust sound from the factory. The pea shooters have baffles in each one.

Remove the pea shooters and the sound gets quite loud even with a stock muffler.

Are the stainless steel muffler stock replacements or are they performance mufflers. If they are stock replacement the will be as loud as a stock muffler without pea shooters.

If a performance muffler--- much louder.

The description from CSP: "The form of the muffler resembles the stock version used on Beetles up to 1960, but as opposed to the original part it is made from stainless steel and operates on the absorbing principle. This means less backpressure, resulting in an improved cylinder charge and better combustion. Which in return let the engine breath freely and gain noticeable more horsepower. This is accompanied by a sententious but not obtrusive sound."

nextgen wrote:
That said, I guess pea shooter will fit on the SS mufflers, to help quite it down.

I reused the stock pea shooter.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

My exhaust is stainless steel, the later photo show it as black. It discolored so I painted it with black heat paint.

As for the sound at idle my muffler is louder then stock but not that much louder, but when I step on it, the sound is fantastic. A good LOUD, ha.

BTY Money well spent. As you can see in the photo that is the same car the muffler is 30 years old. How many muffler do you think you would have installed if it was plain steel..

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
My exhaust is stainless steel, the later photo show it as black. It discolored so I painted it with black heat paint.

As for the sound at idle my muffler is louder then stock but not that much louder, but when I step on it, the sound is fantastic. A good LOUD, ha.

BTY Money well spent. As you can see in the photo that is the same car the muffler is 30 years old. How many muffler do you think you would have installed if it was plain steel..

Sweet! That is a great exhaust.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

Link

Link
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:

Just my opinion.
That looks terrible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

After seeing pics of that CSP unit theres no way I'm buying that.

I want an exhaust that will come out the back of the car through the pea shooter cut-outs, connect to heater boxes, and offer some flow for a 1900

The VS I have read a few places kick off way too much heat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

I’ve actually used a VS exhaust and never experienced excess heat…sounds like people were running an untuned engine

You also have to pay attention because VS has dozens of options depending on your engine size/hp…pick the right one
Mug Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

To the original poster of this thread........ Now that you've had the CSP for a while, are you still happy with it? Getting ready to order one and thought I would see what you thought first! Thank you.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
After seeing pics of that CSP unit theres no way I'm buying that.

I want an exhaust that will come out the back of the car through the pea shooter cut-outs, connect to heater boxes, and offer some flow for a 1900

The VS I have read a few places kick off way too much heat.

Here's a CSP I put on a 2180. It comes with heater boxes, dual mufflers and exits the peashooter cutouts.

You better be willing to live with one kidney if you want it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

I have that system for my 67. I have learned to live without, "Both" kidney's! Shocked

But the mugbug was asking about the OP's system. Not the CSP EVO Competition system.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
But the mugbug was asking about the OP's system. Not the CSP EVO Competition system.

The OP was complaining about the welds... I can say that they are really nice on the system I worked on.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

The OP was complaining about the welds... I can say that they are really nice on the system I worked on.

Ok fair enough.
On the EVO system that you installed. Does that engine run yet?

The CSP EVO exhaust has a unique sound. Nothing like a VW freem (at least after the first firing), kind of deep throaty, and not loud at all.
It's really hard to describe, the sound. But I like it! Thumbs Up

CSP EVO in action at the drags.

Link

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

Waiting for the car to arrive

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP stainless steel stock style muffler pics and impression Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Waiting for the car to arrive

Very Happy

My first time ever on a drag strip.

Listen to the exhaust!
Don't watch the slowness of the participant. Shocked

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: