Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where do you store your VW tool bag?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Where do you store your VW tool bag? Reply with quote

Where do you store the tool bag which came with your Beetle? I'm thinking there are a few options - please correct me.
1) Under the bonnet, laying on the liner
2) Under (or beside) the spare tire
3) In the glove box
4) Under a seat in the car
5) In the garage

It seems as though VW didn't really think through where all of these tools would go (which seems unlike them), as the only place they display in the manual/pictures are on the trunk liner, which seems like would cause things to get banged up and cause lots of noise.

Am I missing something? I'm keeping mine in my glove box, right now.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your VW tool bag? Reply with quote

I keep a real tool box on the parcel shelf behind the rear seat. The VW tool pouch is inside that toolbox.

Last edited by AirHead1966 on Mon May 10, 2021 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your VW tool bag? Reply with quote

Spare tire well, but like AirHead, I keep my real tools on the parcel shelf.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your VW tool bag? Reply with quote

I keep a leather tool roll in the beetle’s front luggage compartment which contains most if not all of the hand tools I might need in the event of a roadside breakdown. I also carry an old Porsche 914 aluminum scissors jack and a tow rope just in case.

The original VW tools and pouch are stored away in the loft over my garage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your VW tool bag? Reply with quote

My bug is a S/B, but here is where I keep mine. I never use them, but I guess I could if I broke down on the road, there just for looks. I hope I never have to use them. Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your VW tool bag? Reply with quote

I've always found the glove box to be the most convenient location for the stock VW tool kit.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your VW tool bag? Reply with quote

I leave 'em loose in the front trunk. If some yahoo pulls out in front of me and tries a 4-disc shenanigan I want my jack tool to be the first and last thing that enters his head.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your VW tool bag? Reply with quote

Under the rear seat on the side opposite the battery?

Max
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your VW tool bag? Reply with quote

I don't actually keep the tool roll in my '67 California Bug at all. Instead I have a vintage wooden suitcase / trunk which houses a travelling emergency breakdown tool kit which includes small hydraulic trolley jack, socket set, normal small tools and a selection of spares including plugs, points, cxondenser and clutch and accellerator cables, ect.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your VW tool bag? Reply with quote

Personal question, but if you must know, most days on the right up front.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your VW tool bag? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
Where do you store the tool bag which came with your Beetle? I'm thinking there are a few options - please correct me.
1) Under the bonnet, laying on the liner
2) Under (or beside) the spare tire
3) In the glove box
4) Under a seat in the car
5) In the garage

It seems as though VW didn't really think through where all of these tools would go (which seems unlike them), as the only place they display in the manual/pictures are on the trunk liner, which seems like would cause things to get banged up and cause lots of noise.

Am I missing something? I'm keeping mine in my glove box, right now.

Thinking back to a time 30 plus years ago when there was still a fair number of these cars on the road I remember seeing most at (1) location. I used to throw a OEM tool bag same location for car shows, also the Bentley manual and fire extinguisher 😀 gives the impression owner has their shit together.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: