Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hi rev springs data
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

This is a good video about the dynamics of what springs do at high rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_REQ1PUM0rY
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

QRP wrote:

BUT!!!

Beehive springs are bypassing when it comes to valve train, from my limited knowledge they are far superior to the old technology.

I've been running beehive springs all along. I believe I got them in 2007
There are actually a lot of choices. Mine are from a old four cylinder chevy, then there is ford modular size ones such as comp 26215, cb did LS springs for awhile, Dan Rudduck has a kit, Aircooled.net sells some too.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

modok wrote:
QRP wrote:

BUT!!!

Beehive springs are bypassing when it comes to valve train, from my limited knowledge they are far superior to the old technology.

I've been running beehive springs all along. I believe I got them in 2007
There are actually a lot of choices. Mine are from a old four cylinder chevy, then there is ford modular size ones such as comp 26215, cb did LS springs for awhile, Dan Rudduck has a kit, Aircooled.net sells some too.

Yeah I know Dan and ACN have kits at the ready and guys like you are hip to the program already but just surprised it's not more common place on here.
( hmmmm didn't know CB was offering it at one point )
Then again I have been absent for a while . . LOL
On the springs you used did you modify some chromoly retainers to fit, or is that even possible???

I feel bad high jacking this guys thread.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

Modified retianers from a old v6 ford ranger
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

You keep comparing a VW valve train with a V8. IRL they are worlds apart.
There are several reasons to why beehives are not commonly used in the ACVW world.
1. 80% don´t really need them.
2. Price. - A kit price 3 times the price of good barrel springs doesnt encourage many to go that way. And it is actually a little odd, because they are not that expensive for other engignies. (We use them regularly in other engines where lift is less and you can´t convert to dual springs.)
3. Half the people that could benefit from them run into lift issues.
4. (This is a personal point of view) I am a firm believer in light valve trains. Also, the better you set the valve train up the lesser risk of float and to a certain extent harmonics there is. Also, as I wrote above, if you stop using cams that are designed 50 years ago and move on to something a little more modern you reduce the risk of both float and harmonics already there.
A properly designed cam, and especially assymetrical cams does not suffer from the issue with float during rpm increases.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

I may be asking an off topic question, but they are related.

What is considered light valve train and what are modern cams?

If I’m running Thorsten-Pieper 54g lifters, alum pushrods, Scat slipper foot rockers, SS valves with titanium retainers...is that light?

Are the Nowak / JPM cams considered modern? Web vs. Engle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: hi rev springs data Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I may be asking an off topic question, but they are related.

What is considered light valve train and what are modern cams?

If I’m running Thorsten-Pieper 54g lifters, alum pushrods, Scat slipper foot rockers, SS valves with titanium retainers...is that light? Yep!

Are the Nowak / JPM cams considered modern? Web vs. Engle?
Yep! That said, Web is not nearly as rough as Engle. Steve Long has some good grinds (and some not so interesting) CB has some good ones too, especially some of the newer "weekend warrior" cams.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: