Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
From Facebook.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Go read more about it. The 23 miles is entirely possible and even likely. I have no problem believing it myself. Looks like he did drive it, but must have been a very short drive home.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Seat covers have nothing to do with 22 miles my friend. If this car had 222 miles, I would believe it. And to answer your questions...yes to all. (3) 64's in my yard as I type this too... And have owned several original low mileage cars.
It's absolutely impossible for this to have 22 miles on it. Most vehicles show up at the dealership with more than that on them. What's the first thing you do with a new car...drive it straight home and park it? Or take it for a spin and celebrate your purchase? Would you have a car that costs $1800 new transported to your home to keep the miles off of it, in 1964? NOBODY in 1964 was thinking about how valuable these cars would be someday.
Just because one person doesn't agree with your opinion, doesn't mean you have to start an argument. Can you absolutely verify without a doubt that this car has 22 miles? Were you there when it was purchased? Is it your family's car? Settle down...

I’m not trying to start an argument, and I’m not basing it strictly off of the seat covers. If you read the whole story on it, it tells you why it was parked. The guy owned an oval window that he drove daily, and didn’t really need the 64, but bought it because he wanted the latest model out or something like that. That car is too clean to not have the mileage mentioned and shown on the speedometer. Another sign would be if the tamper proof seal on the speedometer cable is broken or not. I know the story seems impossible, but all you have to do is read the story and look the car over really well to see that it’s true.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

I have no idea how many miles would be put on loading the car on the ship, unloading it, driving it on the dealer's lot, driving it home, etc, etc, ----but for reference my '66 had 6 miles on it when it drove away from the factory.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Seat covers have nothing to do with 22 miles my friend. If this car had 222 miles, I would believe it. And to answer your questions...yes to all. (3) 64's in my yard as I type this too... And have owned several original low mileage cars.
It's absolutely impossible for this to have 22 miles on it. Most vehicles show up at the dealership with more than that on them. What's the first thing you do with a new car...drive it straight home and park it? Or take it for a spin and celebrate your purchase? Would you have a car that costs $1800 new transported to your home to keep the miles off of it, in 1964? NOBODY in 1964 was thinking about how valuable these cars would be someday.
Just because one person doesn't agree with your opinion, doesn't mean you have to start an argument. Can you absolutely verify without a doubt that this car has 22 miles? Were you there when it was purchased? Is it your family's car? Settle down...

Can YOU prove that it doesn't actually have only 23 miles on it?

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

I believe the miles . looks 1000% legit and that battery is a trip . awesome story and car .
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
It's a nice car...but I'm not buying the 23 miles. Just the miles of moving it around the VW facility after it's road test, moving it around the shipping port in Germany, then again in port at it's destination. Then moving it again at the dealership, in and out of delivery prep...detailing. Then the miles driven to the original owners home after purchasing? I'm just not convinced that 23 miles is accurate, and there's really no way to prove it.
That could be one reason nobody with deep pockets has purchased it. 22 or 23 miles just doesn't make sense. Just my opinion...

In 2010, I bought a car with 0000024 miles on the odometer. It had been at the dealership for 6 months for sale (who knows how many test drives before I bought it). It's totally possible.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

Bala wrote:

Look how inaccurate the carpet sits around the heating vent
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

Adding another mile onto the odometer caused the car's value to drop by $710k. If the roll it around a few more miles, the price will become more reasonable. 😂
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

MANNAXMAN wrote:
Adding another mile onto the odometer caused the car's value to drop by $710k. If the roll it around a few more miles, the price will become more reasonable. 😂

😂 I like the way you think.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

What has become of this car............heard it was down to $200,000 with no takers. Has it been sold....who bought it? Where is it?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

I still feel that there is something sad about this car not having been driven. yes, it's mint but to me it's like an old unplayed-with toy or musical instrument. I remember seeing an early sixties beetle at a car show back in the eighties that was very low mileage and had its original tyres (with wolfsburg air!), plugs, battery etc but its existence was just to be wheeled off a trailer at various car shows and stand in a garage the rest of the time.... Crying or Very sad

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Redbarnresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

I’ve had my ‘64 for 30 years, which has been a reddish orange color with black interior since before we bought it. I finally ordered the birth certificate, and I see it was originally Black with Cord Red interior, which makes it the spitting image of this car. Except that mine has a crank sunroof. Talk about serendipity, as this car will be a valuable resource if I bring it back to showroom stock. I’m a bit bummed that black is not the most interesting, or certainly unique color, but I’m a pretty big purist, so I know it’s going to eat at me until I do it. Are there any other places to get more detail shots of it throughout?
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

If you're on the facebook there are plenty. Not sure if there are any new ones that I didn't re-post here, but worth looking maybe.

Search: 1964 beetle 23 miles

https://www.facebook.com/search/photos/?q=1964%20b...9XiBo96TKw

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
What has become of this car............heard it was down to $200,000 with no takers. Has it been sold....who bought it? Where is it?

ANYBODY KNOW?????????
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

I haven't heard anything recently.

I did a Google search and didn't spend a ton of time searching but this is the newest article I found and it says it was down to $290,000:
https://www.hotcars.com/meet-the-23-mile-290k-1964-vw-beetle-time-capsule/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

Same last article that I know of (2020).....only exception being that he was secretly offering this beetle for $200,000 and still had no takers. After thinking about it finster is probably right " there is something sad " about this.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

When it drops low enough maybe VW will buy it for their museum.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

thechief86 wrote:
If I had the disposable income, this would be my daily driver.
If anybody gave me shit about it, I'd do a split window conversion and build it into a class 5 baja and race it.

Laughing thanks for the smile. I will agree with you on that one.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

Is there anybody out there who knows what happened to this VW. Seems it was offered at $200-$290,000 and there was still no takers. Who currently owns it. Havent seen it nor heard what happened......many others would like to know!
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 with 22 original miles (Black Beauty) Reply with quote

I have located this VW and it is STILL way overpriced. The owner says they have "turned down" $275,000 and it is currently insured for $450,000. They say that they are the experts in the automotive field and know what they have. What they dont have is a vehicle worth $275,000. It is the finest 1964 anywhere but this is a situation where they own a Mercedes repair facility and think they have a 22 mile 190 SL or a 280SL and are pricing it as such. This is a shame as another 3 years have passed since offering and the market has spoken. But, have they listened, NO! This is why inherited assets are a problem. anybody that wants the location, just pm me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: