Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jambronium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

I recently bought a 79 super running a Weber progressive carb paired to a 009 pertonix mechanical, and it runs like shit. Sputters, and backfires, has a flat spot, and is just generally ill tempered and acting like it’s running rich. I did the valve adjustment to .006”, oil change, plugs & wires, filter, and timing. Tuning this carb scares me, I don’t even know if it’s jetted right.

I don’t have experience, help me decide:

Do I…
•Take it to a local place to be tuned
•Attempt to tune it myself
•Switch carbs
•Weep in despair
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

Never liked them and my friend's shop has a box full of ones he took off of engines.

Your 79 originally had fuel injection. But a real German Solex 34PICT-3 and German Bosch 034 will be a better match.

Expect to pay around $500 for the carb, distributor and manifold. Make sure your exhaust has provisions for the heat riser.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

Read thru this thread to see if you want to continue or throw in the towel.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386388

10 years ago I got rid of all my 32/36 stuff.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

I put in a request at https://www.volkzbitz.com/ a few weeks ago for a 30PICT-3 with a throttle positioner, and am still patiently waiting, but my point being if you go that route get your order in sooner as opposed to later.

But ya, I think what you'd want is one of those 34PICT-3's from the link above.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
I put in a request at https://www.volkzbitz.com/ a few weeks ago

Did Tim say the delay is because he doesn't have a core or he is that busy?

Buying a restored 50 year old part is not like going on Amazon, clicking and 2 days later it shows up at your front door. Cores need to be found, purchased, inspected and ether tossed in the trash or rebuilt.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jambronium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

Okay, you win, I’m putting the factory carb back on and an SVDA distributor. As VW intended.
jambronium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

Follow up: do I need a different intake manifold for the 34PICT3?

EDIT: i think the intake manifold should work

Last edited by jambronium on Tue May 11, 2021 5:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

jambronium wrote:
Okay, you win, I’m putting the factory carb back on and an SVDA distributor. As VW intended.

Actually the factor intended for your 79 to have fuel injection Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
jambronium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
jambronium wrote:

My tolerance for pain is not high enough to maintain a mechanical fuel injection system Laughing
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Jimbug57 wrote:
I put in a request at https://www.volkzbitz.com/ a few weeks ago

Did Tim say the delay is because he doesn't have a core or he is that busy?

Buying a restored 50 year old part is not like going on Amazon, clicking and 2 days later it shows up at your front door. Cores need to be found, purchased, inspected and ether tossed in the trash or rebuilt.

He said "I don’t have any ready at the moment, its going to be about 7 weeks."

And he gave some options, quoted a price and I responded in agreement. So I'm patiently waiting. Hopefully by the end of May. No hurries, no worries.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

jambronium wrote:
Glenn wrote:
jambronium wrote:

My tolerance for pain is not high enough to maintain a mechanical fuel injection system Laughing

It's Electronic, but I understand.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
polypetalous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

I have been having the exact same debate as OP, currently running a Weber 32/36 with 009 dist on a '74 SB.
Mine doesn't exactly "run terribly," but does have some flat spots and I feel it could run better.

Not to mention the overall hassle of tuning/adjusting the Weber, in terms of simple access...
I finally figured out how to get to the idle adjust screw, by pulling the throttle wide open (of course while engines off, hassle).
I have NO clue how one gets to the blend screw when on the engine.

Been pricing it out and seems, as Jimbo said ~$500, probably closer to $600 by the time you get all the little bits and such.
But that price doesn't include the "air box," not sure what an original style air-box goes for... or what other "good options" exist...

Im probably leaning toward goin' back to 34 pict 3 / Bosch 034... decisions decisions decisions.

Ben
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

Does your weber have the pre-heat tubes connected? If not that's the main reason is runs like crap. Does the exhaust manifold have the connections for them? The solex will need them.
robcy04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

Keep the 009 and go with a set of Weber 34ICT's. More power, better mileage, and added flexibility.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jambronium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Does your weber have the pre-heat tubes connected? If not that's the main reason is runs like crap. Does the exhaust manifold have the connections for them? The solex will need them.

Yes & yes. It’s a heated manifold, it’s bolted up.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

robcy04 wrote:
Keep the 009 and go with a set of Weber 34ICT's. More power, better mileage, and added flexibility.

Its easier to put dual carburetors on 75-79 type 1, with the original rear FI apron. If the car has a aftermarket 74 & down rear apron. Stock 74 parts should work with TLC.

02/76 Beetle sedan
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Do I keep the Weber progressive or dump it? Reply with quote

jambronium wrote:
Follow up: do I need a different intake manifold for the 34PICT3?

EDIT: i think the intake manifold should work

Intake manifolds for a Weber progressive and Solex Pict are very different.
The Weber progressive carb uses an intake with a rectangular flange with 4 studs. The 34Pict carb used a round opening flange with 2 studs. Without some type of adapter I don't see how you would be able to mount the 34Pict carb to the progressive's intake?

Progressive carb intake:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Solex Pict carb intake (fits 28Pict thru 34Pict):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: