Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving the '84
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Is imgur the slowest responding image server on the planet? It's like going back to dial-up days. Sorry, I just don't have the time. Sad Sad Evil or Very Mad
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Is imgur the slowest responding image server on the planet? It's like going back to dial-up days. Sorry, I just don't have the time. Sad Sad Evil or Very Mad

They loaded quickly for me (like in 2 seconds total).

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
fxr wrote:

They loaded quickly for me (like in 2 seconds total).

I was just thinking the same thing but I only use an old IPhone on The Samba and pictures load quickly Think

Nice work Skills!!

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Looks great.

Asymptotically getting finished.

Very Happy Cool

yea... painfully slow at that. every day is another inch closer i guess.

photos pop up fast on all of my devices, don't know what to say. adjust your antenna? Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

agonizing over the little details is killing me, as it usually does with a personal build.

i took a giant detour and after looking at photos of some of these swaps i know i can do better and set out to do just that.

i'll be running a k&n filter with the 'sock' to keep the fine shit out of it. i just hate how they kind of hang out in the engine bay so i decided to bust out the plasma cutter again and pound this out

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

which ultimately meant doing more paint work

the final product

not sure how i feel about the polished intake pipe. i may powder coat it in a wrinkle finish. the plate i made lines up with all the preexisting holes which was done by design. i really hate making holes if i don't have to

while i was making stuff and painting stuff i decided to use the OE overflow tank and made a bracket for it

peek a booo

trying to tie up loose ends i set out to get the trans cooler dialed in which involved making hoses and brackets. i spent more on the -6AN fittings than i did the cooler and thermostat

then it was on to finalizing the brakes. that's when the fight broke out. mind you, this van has about 112k on it. other than being neglected it was reasonably unmolested.

i ordered new wheel bearings based on measuring as the 84 has a split...19mm or 22mm outer bearing inner diameters. so, i measured and came up with 19mm. perfect. until it wasn't Evil or Very Mad

turns out the left is 19mm which i measured. the right was 22mm which i didn't measure. fuck me. anyway, i ordered the 22mm for the right and continued on.

talking to my parts guy who has been with vw since 1978 i gave him my vin. he laughed...said yep you're literally last in line for the split and he remembers vw doing stupid shit like this back in the day.

i have no reason to believe that either spindle was swapped out. that was a bit of a pain in the ass and of course, a last minute discovery

anyway...

new backing plates

calipers/pads/rotors or 'CPR' as we use to say at the dealer. new hoses and new shorty lines too

drums all dialed in

whoever designed the brake adjuster should have his sack (or clam as it may be) dragged over a high velocity wire wheel. good idea, bad execution. i really don't see how you could really adjust the brakes with a tire in the way.

another detour was pulling the shift rod and cable assembly out which resulted in the shift rod getting sand blasted and painted

while the unobtainable cable was out i did some brainstorming on a replacement cable and it looks like the fine folks at B&M have a cable i could adapt should the need arise.

i also took the time to hang the cable by it's toes and flush out any shit that was in there. took about a day of hanging it like a gutted deer but once the oil came out clean i put it all back together. it was fairly smooth before buy holy shit, WAY better now.

tires should be here by the end of the week. took a bit of figuring out and i really didn't want to do staggered sizes but due to lowering and wheel choice i really had to split hairs. i wanted a bit of a taller tire to fool with the cruising RPM's so it was a bit of a balancing act to say the least.

getting close now, but still have a bit more to do

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

While I marvel at the mechanical and fabrication prowess that accompanies this particular build, I am equally impressed by the unfiltered and entirely amusing prose of the builder. I thought I was the only one left that used the term ‘clam’. Thx for making me laugh and keep up the great work!
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

The air filter block off plate is pretty slick. Nice progress.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

No issue to adjust the brakes with the small brake spoon I have from Snap On.
Very short, right curve to it, and you can leave your tires on.
I’ll try and post the tool. Blanking plate does look nice, along with the rest of the work.
Now my Automatic shifter rod feels ashamed to be seen in Public..l Razz Razz

Should be this one- whoops, wrong one listed, it's this one

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Automotive-Brake-Adjusting-Tools/Brake-Adjuster/S6004
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto

Last edited by jlrftype7 on Wed May 12, 2021 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

coqwesty wrote:
While I marvel at the mechanical and fabrication prowess that accompanies this particular build, I am equally impressed by the unfiltered and entirely amusing prose of the builder. I thought I was the only one left that used the term ‘clam’. Thx for making me laugh and keep up the great work!

thank you. i have a very colorful vocabulary Very Happy

4Gears4Tires wrote:
The air filter block off plate is pretty slick. Nice progress.

thanks. i wanted something a bit cleaner looking and i have a feeling that the engine bay is going to get shitted up with dust. this should at least protect it somewhat.

jlrftype7 wrote:
No issue to adjust the brakes with the small brake spoon I have from Snap On.
Very short, right curve to it, and you can leave your tires on.
I’ll try and post the tool. Blanking plate does look nice, along with the rest of the work.
Now my Automatic shifter rod feels ashamed to be seen in Public..l Razz Razz

i have the same brake spoon and found it to be a pain in the ass. i ended up using a screwdriver that was on the short side. problem is the adjuster isn't lined up with the hole so you go in on a funny angle.

in terms of the shift rod.... like i said anything i pull off that looks 'meh' gets the full treatment. it for sure adds to the time it takes to do this (which is why this project has dragged on) but it is what it is. i'm not going to skimp on anything if i can avoid it

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

There aren’t too many guys left like this anymore. One day I’ll get a restoration done before we both dirt nap.

I’ll tell him want I want , and the budget will be materials plus hours times rate paid in cash each week.
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Paint can opener is the ticket,
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

bit of an update....

dialing stuff in doing the "final" checks. decided to use one of the NOS radiators i came across

take me back to the 90's

also replaced the rear heater core just because and did the updated shut off from go wEsTy

with the cooling system out of the way (for now anyway) my tires came in. wheels have been kicking around for a while but i wanted to get them mounted.

i went with 17" fuch reps because i wanted size options and until i figure out what wheels i really want these are a bit more fun than what everyone else runs on these

a recent parts score yielded me some old stock lobro joints. i bought 3 from a guy not too long ago but for some reason they just would not fit the splines on my axles. no idea what they fit, but it sure as hell wasn't this application.

was glad to score the 4 in the photo here. the bigger boxes were "service kits" with the boot and joint and the smaller were just the joint and hardware. also got some ATE wheel cys (amongst other stuff) in that haul

went digging around and came up with enough NOS axle bolts too

all dressed up (no photos of building them because you know....grease)

also decided it was time to get the water pump and timing belt on seeing i'm close to hitting the key

i was waiting to install the sink/fridge cabinet until my wife could man the water hose. wanted to make sure i had no leaks before plopping the fridge back in.

much to my surprise, the water tank level sensors actually work Shocked

that of course was an ordeal. i went to take the old water hose off of the original faucet and the fucking nipple broke before i could even get a 1/8 turn out of the clamp. fine.... i have another sink unit.

wouldn't you know....that one broke just moving the hose Mad 'hello go WeStY i would like your *finest* shurflow faucet kit' so that came in and got installed.

nice unit and seems to work well. i have a few things to tie up in the fuel system and dump in some ATF and hopefully hit the key here in the next few days. still a bit of a grocery list to deal with but close now

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

So close. Cool

The Western Syncro build
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Looks like summer trips are in order!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Looks like summer trips are in order!

I’m ready for road trip post’s then more fabrication updates. You the best skills. Now roll Cool

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

^^^^

Laughing

yea. it's close. i may try and run it tonight. got to sort a few more things

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

well, it's alive

Link

not sure WTF is going on with the alt light. went off just fine while i was cranking it to get oil pressure but it's on while running (charging just fine however Confused )

i was dreading filling the cooling system. ended up using my air vac tool and it sucked in about 4 gallons. topped up the expansion tank then used my cooling system pressure tester. put about 15 psi in it and opened the bleeder on the radiator. got some air. did this x2 and seemed to be ok.

ran it for a long ass time. had good heat once stuff got moving. fan kicks on at 193-195* on low and continues to cycle in that temp range. took a long time to hit those temps but it's got a massive amount of coolant to warm up.

gotta figure out the alt light. i know the issue with the aux battery but this van doesn't have one, only the relay to switch power to the fridge/cabinet unit so not sure whats going on there.

also a tad high on the ATF. so i'll have to suck some out.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

That's awesome. Well done! Huge step forward.

Big fan of the "That's how you turn a whole bunch of money into exhaust". Can empathise.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Schnippzle wrote:
That's awesome. Well done! Huge step forward.

Big fan of the "That's how you turn a whole bunch of money into exhaust". Can empathise.

X2.

Classic quote fodder right there.

The Western Syncro build
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Laughing thanks. video kinda sucked but i was up for about 18 hours at that point. spent some time cleaning shop and thinking about my alternator light then it dawned on me that the subaru alternator doesn't like tripping relays like the bosch does

shoved the driver seat forward and disconnected the exciter wire from the relay...no more alt light Dancing that was probably my last cognitive thought for the evening other than some text message banter from Xevin Cool

checked the coolant level this morning. down about 1/2" in the expansion tank. overflow is right where i left it...in the middle of the MIN-MAX lines. think i'm in the clear but will have to road test. next hurdle is registration and insurance

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: