Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

croSSeduP wrote:
IT BOLTS TO THE AXLE TUBE?! Damn. I like it.

No. That's the torsion housing.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Esde. We're did you get that bell housing mount from. Mine is a like yours but it's got flat steel so won't accept rubber mounts.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
Esde. We're did you get that bell housing mount from. Mine is a like yours but it's got flat steel so won't accept rubber mounts.

It's part of an old Bugpack padded strap kit. I tossed the straps 20 years ago but the rear mount is way stronger than the stock one. I've got the mount tabs for the rear truss bar welded to it also.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Cool. Good idea to use that mount. The VW ones are rubbish. The copy version of the original are cheap weak metal
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

I got it sorted. Here's what I ended up doing:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

since you're having cooling issues, you really should be running "industrial" tins to deflect some of the exhaust heat and keep the waste cooling air directed out the back like its supposed to be. Also, oil coolers are supposed to be rubber isolated.

croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Where did you get those "extra" deflectors? The "sleds" are in place, but I had to grind them a bit to clear the 1 3/4" pipes. And, yeah the pipes are right under the heads and in stop and go traffic a lot of that heat will be going up into the heads/cylinders.
Why rubber mounted? Just for noise issues? I did that with my electric fuel pump because of noise.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2232922
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

I’m not saying that rubber mounts aren’t better, but I ran mine with solid mounts from 2004-2020 (see first picture posted)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

I’m on a long road trip from where I live in Tacoma to Sacramento for Bugorama. So far oil temps haven’t gotten above 210, and head temps are around 260. I’m headed even further south after the meet, and temps in the Sacto area are supposed to be 105. Should be interesting to see what happens!
Pooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Front mount using "RX7" aftermarket oil cooler.

Big oil pump & Good Tstat with 1/2" hard lines front to back.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

Whatever you choose, don't use a shroud-mounted oil cooler. Engine won't last, especially with "thin wall" 92mm cylinders, and in Arizona heat. Except in my instance. So don't do what I do, just has worked for me since the 1970s....

Replace the oil hoses every 30 years, because mine started seeping a little at the ends at 31 years. And I used the dealer-added AC with this until about 1993. Engine lid standoffs are used.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooler In A Beetle: Pics, Please Reply with quote

croSSeduP wrote:
I’m on a long road trip from where I live in Tacoma to Sacramento for Bugorama. So far oil temps haven’t gotten above 210, and head temps are around 260. I’m headed even further south after the meet, and temps in the Sacto area are supposed to be 105. Should be interesting to see what happens!

South? how far? Prado show?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: