Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor cap on 1985 Cabi
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Distributor cap on 1985 Cabi Reply with quote

I went and bought a new one for my Cabi and they asked me the month and year it was built. I said March 1985 and they ordered me one. It came today and the usual orange cap had a black shell around it. Since my distributor has this metal sheath around the cap the new one would not fit inside the sheath. So I broke it off and then it fit okay but wouldn't snap down tight, so I removed the sheath and just snapped the cap into place like a normal car and it started right up!
QUESTION: what was that plastic shell around my new one that I removed? And: what was the function of the metal sheath the old cap sat inside of? It had a ground wire attached to the distributor body. Is there supposed to be a ground for the cap? Well it seems to work just fine without one, but I wonder if something may happen down the road?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor cap on 1985 Cabi Reply with quote

Both are there to help with radio noise suppression. The newer ones are plastic. You can run them without it, I never noticed but of course you might.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: