Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TMI carpet confusion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Below is a diagram, but it’s missing the piece forward of number 10. This missing diagram piece goes under the back seat, and is the same width as the parcel tray at the top, but flares out as it goes under the rear seat.

There is also a metal channel that runs from side to side and the end of number 10 fits into it. No confusion there.

My issue is the piece that goes from the channel area to under the back seat, the PO had put a horizontal slit in this piece, and slipped the upper end into the same channel as number 10. However my piece has a yarn border on it, as if TMI thinks that the under-seat piece should fit over the forward end of number 10, which, it this scenario, would cover the metal channel.

Why would TMI put a border on this piece if they didn’t expect it to show?
The PO had put the under-the-seat piece under the end of number 10. But, there was no yarn border on it, and the previous carpet was also TMI.

Here is the diagram.

Edit: I’ve also included my Jew carpet with the under-seat carpet, covering the edge of number 10, and the metal channel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Sat May 01, 2021 3:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Kind of confused. If they bound the edge of the carpet, it's to prevent the raw edge of the carpet from unraveling. A pic might help.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Ray, here is a pic with the yarn-edge’s top end placed over the number 10 lower edge, and the metal channel. It looks fine, but the original lower piece was previously placed under number 10, somit seems odd that TMI would edge it, and also it seems the yarned edge would bulge a little if under number 10.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Just cut the trimmed edge off.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Just cut the trimmed edge off.

For what you're looking to do Tim, this is likely the way to go. In my case, I used that piece for the parcel tray. Although your spot may be better for sound reduction.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

That kind of looks like the piece of carpet for the back of the rear seat. On my 71, there is no carpet under the seat, just sound deadener. The horizontal cut that you mention, would be an inch or so long, in the center, which would be for the seat strap. Which would also explain why it is bound around the perimeter.

From the gallery. This sure looks like the shape of the piece you are talking about.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1888097.jpg
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

I just cut the top, guys.

Raydog, there’s another rectangular piece for the back of my seat. It may be for the folding shelf, but I just attach it to the back of the seat.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Here are a few pics of the almost finished TMI carpet project in the Sun Bug.

(Thanks, Vamram [Victor] for the tip about a slit from the bottom for the front seat-adjusters)

I’m not entirely happy with the results; although, the new carpet certainly looks a lot better than the old, black one that was in there. So, I shouldn’t be bummed.

There are a few creased areas that I encountered, and the TMI thread count is not adequate enough to hide the flaws in my first carpeting attempt. To me, the flaws look like the stretch-mark scars you’d see on a woman who didn’t oil up enough when she was pregnant.

All in all, it’s not too shabby, and with the seats in, I think it’ll pass muster. I’ve seen far worse in many photos, at any rate.

Tim

Edit: I still have to glue down some odds and edges, after reinstalling the speaker wires, and install the floor vents, and a few other things.

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Tim you did great, that looks awesome.

Tim Donahoe wrote:

.... To me, the flaws look like the stretch-mark scars you’d see on a woman who didn’t oil up enough when she was pregnant....

All in all, it’s not too shabby, pass muster..... I’ve seen far worse in many photos, at any rate.

Tim

Sorry Tim, I couldn't resist...too funny, changing the context up a bit... Laughing

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

I think you did a great job, Tim and the color really is great! The flaws you're speaking of, they are imperceptible in the photos.
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Beautiful job, great color, if you had it to do over would you still go with TMI carpet ?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Yes, lboos, I’d go with TMI again. The price is very reasonable, and, judging from the old, black TMI carpet that I removed, their product holds up to wear and tear.

I think user inexperience was my main issue. Check the top portion of the carpet in the photo below. I replaced the original insulation on the vertical parcel-tray metal, but just below the back window, I left that crescent piece because it looked great. However, it was obviously not symmetrical, as can be noticed in the photo on the upper left (the upper left side of the car, not the left side of the photo). I should have not pressed down as much in this area.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Well, all done. The back seat took a Herculean effort, since the area where the back seating portion presses against, now has Killmat, Dynalyner, and carpet. Of course, that back set was always a bear to install, but not like now.

I’ll take a few pics in a minute and add them here.

Here we go. The back of the back seat shows a reflection of the garage door, but you’ll get the point.

P.s. yes, I added a small border to the upper, back, wheel well. There is a matching one the other side, too. The PO had made a mess of some weird, dark-brown glue on the headliner; and I really wasn’t up to installing a headliner right now. Besides, I kind of like the look. I’ll keep it that way until I can eventually find someone to professionally install a new headliner (cause I’m sure not going to do that job).

Richard O'Brien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Congratulations again, Tim! You did a great job and it is one to be proud of. I couldn't imagine an upholstery shop doing any better. The color really is nice.

Where did you get your steering wheel cover? I just pulled mine off - the old generic style and my wheel is in ok shape, but I want to cover it with a nice one like yours.

Last edited by creative native on Mon May 10, 2021 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

It’s called a Wheelskin cover. It’s made of very good leather, but it took me a while to put in; although, it still looks good after seven, or so, years. I bought spray paint to match the parking brake and shifter rod.

Wheelskin brand is not cheap. The one I have was about $55 when it was purchased for me as a Father’s Day gift. They are probably somewhat higher now, but worth every penny in my opinion.

I had to wear one glove when installing it, because you have to thread it in the holes very tightly with the supplied string. The manufacturer says pull as tight as you want, the holes won’t rip out—and they were right.

Edit: Wheelskins.com. The price for a single color is now $59.95 (not too much of a raise in price). However, they also have two-tone ones now for $69.95. Those look pretty cool, but I prefer the original one-color style.

The site also has a good video to show you how to install it for professional results. And they also make an exact fit for a 1974 Super Beetle. No generic wraparound string, or sloppy fit.

Tim

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Mon May 10, 2021 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Thanks, Tim. I once had a Wheelskins cover on my '71 camper. I will look up their website.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Tim it looks fantastic. I like that piece you snuck into the corner of the wheel well.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Thanks, Victor. It was actually the other side that needed the triangular piece, but I had to make them match up. It reminds me of the pocket for the 1969 defrost vent actuators. When I ever get another headliner, I may remove the swatches, or maybe not.

Speaking of 1969 defrost heat/defrost actuators, I now have a set to sell. These were in some Karmann Ghia’s and 1969 Bugs. They switch your floor heat to defrost. The handles are located just under the dash at the wheel wells. I ran them for five years, but decided, since I was re-carpeting, to go with the stock handle at the tunnel. I always left them on defrost, anyway Rolling Eyes .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Thanks, Victor. It was actually the other side that needed the triangular piece, but I had to make them match up. It reminds me of the pocket for the 1969 defrost vent actuators. When I ever get another headliner, I may remove the swatches, or maybe not.

Speaking of 1969 defrost heat/defrost actuators, I now have a set to sell. These were in some Karmann Ghia’s and 1969 Bugs. They switch your floor heat to defrost. The handles are located just under the dash at the wheel wells. I ran them for five years, but decided, since I was re-carpeting, to go with the stock handle at the tunnel. I always left them on defrost, anyway Rolling Eyes .

Tim

I actually have a cheap TMI carpet kit that I will be installing soon, and I have to deal with those heat/defrost levers as well as the Glass Action speaker kick panels that I'm installing. It should be a challenge!

Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet confusion Reply with quote

Got some mats to protect the new carpet. They’re light tan—which is close enough to Oatmeal—but the borders are a nice match to my Saddle upholstery.

I could have waited 14-16 weeks for TMI mats, but that was ridiculous. They’re just mats, and don’t have to match perfectly in my opinion. They just have to protect.

I got these from Lloyd Mats, and they cut them to shape very well, and they’re more plush than I expected. Also, as opposed to TMI, they have a rubber-grip bottom. TMI are just regular carpet with yarn trim. No backing.

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: