Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 914 Intro
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: 1974 914 Intro Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am relatively new to aircooled and have been spending time in the bay window forum.

I acquired a 74 bus with a 74 914 engine on a pallet and have since seized the crank:

Edit, I meant this image:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any thoughts on what happened? Seems like oil was restricted to two rods, but not the other two.

I'm still having problems completely separating the case due to the crank not spinning/piston pins not being accessible.

This past weekend I picked up a 1974 914 a few hours south of me, looks like fun and I was preliminarily excited to work on it/drive it, but I think she's a little too far gone.

typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 914 Intro Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to 914s. I am just down the road from Canton. I can’t tell how bad your 914 is from the pictures but it could be by the looks of the repairs. I would be happy to come by and take a look at it.
camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 914 Intro Reply with quote

I would love an extra set of eyes on her.
I’m not the best photographer and did a poor job capturing what I was trying to convey. The rot is like a square underneath, the paint missing at the pillars seems to be from lack of structural integrity from the rot. It’s like you can move the body side to side.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 914 Intro Reply with quote

camino70 wrote:
Hi all,
I am relatively new to aircooled and have been spending time in the bay window forum.

I acquired a 74 bus with a 74 914 engine on a pallet and have since seized the crank:

Edit, I meant this image:

Any thoughts on what happened? Seems like oil was restricted to two rods, but not the other two.

I'm still having problems completely separating the case due to the crank not spinning/piston pins not being accessible.

This past weekend I picked up a 1974 914 a few hours south of me, looks like fun and I was preliminarily excited to work on it/drive it, but I think she's a little too far gone.

A, How do you know its a 914 engine? please take a picture of the serial number on the case and a couple of details. If its 914 spec and not a 2.0L...it could just as easily be from a 411 or 412.

B. With current pricing and availability of 914's....I would not consider anything too far gone...perhaps more expensive than you can afford Wink ....but not often is it too far gone.

I would take one of these guys up on an inspection. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 914 Intro Reply with quote

Thanks Ray,
What do you mean “914 spec and not 2.0L”, can’t it be a 914 2.0? What other details would be pertinent?

Case number GA008794:

Windage tray (I thought was Porsche specific):

Edit:
3 bolt heads:

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 914 Intro Reply with quote

camino70 wrote:
Thanks Ray,
What do you mean “914 spec and not 2.0L”, can’t it be a 914 2.0? What other details would be pertinent?

Case number GA008794:

Windage tray (I thought was Porsche specific):

Edit:
3 bolt heads:

Your first comment was simply that it was a 914 engine .You did not say what size! Wink ...my point was...if its not a 2.0L...it could just as easily be from a 411 or 412 if its a 1.7L or 1.8L.

But....the GA series....and the three bolt head....marks it as a 2.0L from a 914.

And....the windage tray is NOT Porsche specific. Neither is the type 4 engine for that matter.

All VW 411 and 412 cars with 1.7L from at least 1968 to 1972 and into early 1973 came with the windage tray. I am not positive at this point how many of the 412 1.8L engines came with the windage tray but I have found some.

You have to remember that the 411 and 412 cars came before the 914 existed...and more of them were made. The only engine unique to the 914...is the 914 specific 2.0L engine....and the only unique parts were the heads, pistons the upper sheet metal and the center intake manifold.

It appears that you have the good stuff! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 914 Intro Reply with quote

The good stuff is what came with the bus and now seized. I’m still putzing around with it.

I was able to drop the engine and transmission, I don’t think this is original to the 914, EA083318 - 1.7?

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 914 Intro Reply with quote

Yes..... Very Happy ....actually EA engine case series is original to the 914.....and the 411 and 412 Wink

BUT.....the fact that your EA series engine......has its serial number on that angled pad near the bell housing.....means that it IS a 914 specific 1.7L engine case.

Here is the gist......a 1.7L type 4 engine came in three vehicles.

1. It first came in the VW VW411 in 1968. And.....the serial number would be on the fan end of the engine at the base of the square oil breather tower. By 1969 or 70...it came fuel injected. Same engine continued through 1973.

This engine was 100% identical to that which came in 1969 Porsche 914. Same parts, same hp, same assembly line.

2. Next It came in the 1969 Porsche 914....and ran to 1973.....then it got the same 1.8L ....identical in every way... to what the 412 got. All of these had the same engine case series as the 411 and 412....but because the engine was mounted backwards in the 914 (mid engined).....the cases were sdrial nunbered near the bell housing like yours is.

3. The 1972/73 VW bus came with a de-tuned, twin carb,1.7L......serial number on the fan end near the oil breather just like the 411/412....but ai dont think it ever used EA series.

So....yes.....you do have a Porsche 914 specific 1.7L engine case. Ray
camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 914 Intro Reply with quote

Thank you Ray, the information is appreciated!

I can’t seem to find the right websites to search.

Anything worth noting with the transmission? 914.301.101.00

Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 914 Intro Reply with quote

914's came with 2 versions of the Porsche 901 5 speed transaxle. The early 914's had a tail shift transaxle up thru 1972. In 1973 up they went to a side shifter transaxle. The tail piece changed as well as the shifter linkage and motor mount bar. The new transaxle was more precise than the earlier one, Many swap the newer bits into the older cars. Same ratios in all (save the rare 914/6).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: