Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mahag 1951 Standard Micro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Great kick ass work Donny! That epoxied frame is definitely in the right direction. I’ve got some BD metal scraps to donate to the cause. Keep it up!
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

This is going to be great to watch.

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

When I first got this bus I remember talking to Barndoor Jonny about how bad but fixable it is and he told me “don’t throw anything away”. So I’ve saved almost every scrap so far and I’ve salvaged many little peace’s.
This peace was a couple inches of the tray above the engine connected to the rear window section I got from Dave. I was struggling on the lower fire wall section. Just a wire wheel was blowing holes through the bottom of it. I love the look of it once I got the surface rust and thin layer of paint cleaned off of it he fire wall so repairing it was my only option.
This peace worked out well having the same grooves in it. It wasn’t quite big enough but close enough.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Looking forward to it Donnie Cool
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Rich's 50 wrote:
Looking forward to it Donnie Cool

Thanks Rich for watching and supporting.
I’ve accepted the reality that this bus won’t be on the road for 10 years if I try and do everything myself so I’m going to start having some friends help and I’m sure it’ll end up at Dave’s again once I get it back together and rolling.
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

I’ve been in contact with Mark Spicer and thankfully he knows the details of these early bus’s. I am looking forward to getting some parts from him because I am not capable of making any parts besides basic patch peace’s or recycling other parts and making them work.
I want to repair the rear divider door and passenger window frame with parts that Mark makes.

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Nice socks!

And great work on your project.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
Nice socks!

And great work on your project.

thanks alot, my neighbors probably think so too. I'm in my garage alot late at night welding in sweats. Some look at what I'm working on and think I'm a tweeker.
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Here are progress pics. This section is getting close but the wheel well isn’t lining up how it should yet. The tray above the trans and front 1/2 of fender well was redone with parts from Gerson.

VW_Barndoor_Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Great Work !
May the VW_Barndoor_Force be with you, always
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Nice save, you're doing amazing work. I am sure it's a joy to work on too!
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Here is the progress report for the last couple sections we have been working on. My friend Jesse has been helping on the bus and he's a metal work veteran. I got the trans panel from Gerson and was planning on only using sections out of it but ended up using most of it and Jesse made the access hole by hand since thats 50-51 only. The rear fender wells and fire wall is where we are starting so I wanted it to be super strong and alot of this lower metal was just to thin.
I tried to keep a much original paint and metal on the divider wall as well. It's been a fine line where to replace metal and save metal that is compromised. The old German steel is so much stronger than the new cold roll stuff that sometimes original is still just as strong even with some surface rust.
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

I quit working on the frame months ago but now my goal its to get some loose ends tightened up on in and put the body back on the frame in the next few weeks.
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

You're doing a great job of trying to repair as much of the original metal as you can. Don't get disheartened (as I'm sure you may), it will definitely be worth it in the end.

I absolutely love this bus, so keep up the good work!

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

rxBusboy wrote:
The old German steel is so much stronger than the new cold roll stuff that sometimes original is still just as strong even with some surface rust.

Keep up the great work rxBusboy. Very interesting comment about the original steel.

Keep your eye on the prize. Applause Applause Applause
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
You're doing a great job of trying to repair as much of the original metal as you can. Don't get disheartened (as I'm sure you may), it will definitely be worth it in the end.

I absolutely love this bus, so keep up the good work!

Thank Scotty, I have a few bus's and have many big projects but thiss is for sure the one I am enjoying the most. I already see the light at the end of the tunnel and its still a long tunnel
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
rxBusboy wrote:
The old German steel is so much stronger than the new cold roll stuff that sometimes original is still just as strong even with some surface rust.

Keep up the great work rxBusboy. Very interesting comment about the original steel.

Keep your eye on the prize. Applause Applause Applause

I appreciate the motivation boost. Yes, the old metal is completely different and much harder to bend and make peaces out of by hand. Alot of the after market metal is actually thicker but still much softer. Trying to make a rib with original metal takes alot longer than with a new peace of metal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: