Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission for 1835cc Engine
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Transmission for 1835cc Engine Reply with quote

I had a swing axle vw transmission on my sandrail with an 1835cc engine. I was told the engine was too strong for the transmission. I recently broke the transmission on a trip so I'm looking to replace it. Can anyone help me decide what to replace it with and where I should get it?
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission for 1835cc Engine Reply with quote

If you're staying with swing axle, you're probably going back to a type 1 swingaxle. I had a pro street, with 4.38 final drive. It was on a fiberglass buggy, 1915, running 30x9.5x15 tires. Held up great. I think that have whats called a pro sand, that might get you close ratio 3rd and 4th. Talk to the builder about this. Your only other choice with swingaxle is an RGB set up that will give you very low gearing. If you're willing to convert to IRS, then you have bus trans choices, and a stock 3 rib might be strong enough, or you have many upgrades to look at.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission for 1835cc Engine Reply with quote

It would be cheaper to fix the loose nut behind the wheel Evil or Very Mad
How did you break it?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission for 1835cc Engine Reply with quote

Where are you using the buggy?

Sand dunes?

Woods?

Pavement with Pro Street tires?

I raced my Hi Jumper for years with a swing axle Type 1 trans. Spent many tens of thousands of dollars getting it rebuilt too. Sitting with a broken trans right now. I'm tired of throwing $$ down that drain.

Swing axles are still popular for sand dune cars where the jolts and shocks on the gearbox are much more gentle than in the rocky desert or over tree roots.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tdoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission for 1835cc Engine Reply with quote

I usually ride on the sand dunes but I broke it riding on dirt trails with rocks. I probably won't go back to the dirt trails and will stick to the sand. I was thinking of getting a bus transmission.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission for 1835cc Engine Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I run a bus box and have done some stuff that I'm almost certain should have broken 2nd by now. I'm running Weddle's torsional input shaft in my semi-built 091. Some of the woods racer guys out east went to this torsional shaft and it took them from ripping the pinion bearing nut off the bearing threads to no real problems at all. Their problems are now more like bearing wear and 2nd gear engagement dogs and stuff- more normal problems. They're running massive heavy tractor/chevron tires that eat transmissions so they need all the help they can get.

They make one that works with type 1/swingaxle. Might be worth putting on your list.

https://weddleindustries.com/products/113-311-105-A-HD/113-311-105-A-HD?v=1000855
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: