Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Bus - 1970 Westy "Watson"
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: New Bus - 1970 Westy "Watson" Reply with quote

so a guy gave me a 1970 westy. I've named it "Watson" It's good rust-wise, but a tree hit the top front corner over the steering wheel and it's bent pretty bad. door won't open.
Right now I'm trying to get the ignition lock working and it has a very funny cylinder in it. It is marked: DSL. LIG. TARTIDA TRAVA
So what's up with that? Spanish? Portuguese, more likely, from Brazil?
I think I'll just get a real VW locksmith to match my keys. Does anybody know one? Steve was around years ago, and Gabe. they they still in business? Any others?
Thanks, Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to working on "Watson". It's a 71 dual port motor.
Compression checked good above 120psi in all cylinders.
But there is oil leakage all over and now I have the engine on the stands, I can see leaks around some cylinder bases, some case nuts, and the rocker covers.
Is there some single source step by step guide that tells everything to do to keep these not leaking? A one place guide to assembling a type 1 engine. I have not put one together in 20 years.
Al
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
Back to working on "Watson". It's a 71 dual port motor.
Compression checked good above 120psi in all cylinders.
But there is oil leakage all over and now I have the engine on the stands, I can see leaks around some cylinder bases, some case nuts, and the rocker covers.
Is there some single source step by step guide that tells everything to do to keep these not leaking? A one place guide to assembling a type 1 engine. I have not put one together in 20 years.
Al

Tom Wilson's book is pretty much a definitive guide to assembling an air-cooled Volkswagen engine, and it's loaded with pictures and step-by-step procedures. It also has breakdowns of part numbers, part interchangeability, and helpful tips.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the classifiers for keys. And the key number is on the lock back of the handles and rear hatch lock Kirchner. Sounds like younneed to get a jack and push up the roof? If the engine leaks when running fix it but it sounds like it normal small's seepage and might not be bad.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I perhaps should take the "locks" out of the title
I'm not a master collision tech, but I've got a 10 ton port a power and some hope of making the top straight. It's worse than it looks. The top is pushed over to the right and the left post to the rear. When I started the drivers door wouldn't open.
The work to repair might exceed the value, but I look at it as a skill builder. I have a few other more valuable projects that I need to practice for!
WRT the engine- I want to get it right. I have the motor out on a stand so if I need to put sealer on the case bolts, okay. The cylinder base leak might be harder. I also wonder if there might be a lot of crankcase pressure.
Al
Vanagons:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after about a month of playing around with this (and two years before this!), I hope to get back to it and make some real headway.
One question I have: was Brilliant Blue ever a Westy color? I think it was a legit 1970 type 2 color.
It seems this needs a total repaint and I have this full gallon of "Brilliant Blue" SW acrylic enamel from 20 or more years ago, the gallon never opened. Still shakes good. One of my mentors assures me it will be fine to spray if I just strain it.
Al
Vanagons:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
One question I have: was Brilliant Blue ever a Westy color? I think it was a legit 1970 type 2 color.

Yes, in Europe, I had a small pop top 70 with remnants of the tall closet behind the drivers seat that was BB originally.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New bus- 1970 Westy "Watson" - locks Reply with quote

Finally getting back to this project. The WATSON bus had some funny business in the engine compartment. My guess is someone put a type 4 engine in it.. By the time I got it, it had a nice 1971 bus specced dual port with EVERY SINGLE CORRECT BUS PART on it. the install was terrible, but I pulled the engine out and freshened it and ready to go back in once I get the body work complete. The side tin and air cleaner stand were cut off but I finally got the parts from a nice Samba vendor and have part of the repairs complete. The cuts were just aft of the VIN stamping, so that's good. Here's a link to another post where I was searching for the repair sheet metal: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565728&highlight=
I have sort of a soft spot for 1970's: last of the wide 5 wheels and sorta more a splitty look with the slab sides. My very first bay was a 1970. and I used the hell out of it for about 4 years before I got my 69 double cab in 1986.
Vanagons:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: New bus- 1970 Westy "Watson" - locks Reply with quote

Finally dug this one out. Been in the garage 10 years. and found some photos, surprisingly hidden on theSamba server!
These photos from 10 years ago, July 2011, about a year after the tree fell on it. Not terrible for an Iowa bus, but Watson lived in it all over the US for many years. It was in Arizona in the late 1990's.

This shows the REAL reason it was free! Really big tree limb fell on it. Damage is quite a bit more extensive than first appears. (MUCH more on this later)

The motor, pretty decent 100% correct 1971 bus motor, but really rigged up rear hanger, failing, and tied in with steel cable.

The bus came from a guy (Watson)who seemed to know me. His older brother was a classmate of my younger brother. Lived in our neighborhood in 1960-70.
Vanagons:
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New bus- 1970 Westy "Watson" - locks Reply with quote

Finally pics lol. We VW folks can sure take our time on a project lol.

The damage doesn't look unfixable from the pics, but what do I know? Could you cutout the bad section - A pillar at the bottom of the windshield and back far enough that it's good and weld in a donor corner? I feel that would be better than trying to straighten it - like this? Maybe you need a donor door too?

1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: New bus- 1970 Westy "Watson" - locks Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
Finally pics lol. We VW folks can sure take our time on a project lol.

The damage doesn't look unfixable from the pics, but what do I know? Could you cutout the bad section - A pillar at the bottom of the windshield and back far enough that it's good and weld in a donor corner? I feel that would be better than trying to straighten it - like this? Maybe you need a donor door too?

Well, sure.
Actually I have some experience at straightening. And some PortaPower type hydraulic equipment.
What I do NOT have presently is complete frame machine/ collision dozer that could pull the top corner back into place. Pushing is a little dodgy because of a lack of good places to push on both ends without causing further damage.
In a few days, I'll pose a few more current pictures to show the severity of the damage.
The damage: left "A" pillar has buckled and midpoint near the top hinge has been moved forward by about 1/2-1" Top of "A" pillar has been pulled to the right and rearward somewhat.
Upper inner structure above the "A" pillar was folded and crushed.
The Roof skin at this same point was folded and crushed.
The entire top windshield frame is moved toward the right about 1- 2"
The front part of the roof skin also obviously has some distortion where it joins the rear door posts "B: pillars.
The left door frame is crushed down at the front keeping the door from opening.
The door itself is bent at the top parts as the entire window frame part moved down and to the right.
Probably the door hinges bent out especially the top hinge as the upper part of the "A" pillar move forward and the door did not.

Simple enough.

UNDO the damage?
Vanagons:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New bus- 1970 Westy "Watson" - locks Reply with quote

FWIW, I started this thread 10 years ago, looking to get keys made. Turns out, I found a set of keys for it in the broken glass and general clutter on the floor after cleaning out.
So, now I'm hoping to move this to the bay build thread.
One thing I'll need is to patch the damaged top or possibly replace it with a Dormobile or Riviera top.I did know of a Rivi top in Wisconsin some years back...
Vanagons:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus - 1970 Westy "Watson" Reply with quote

too bad you weren't closer, i have the roof section you need.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus - 1970 Westy "Watson" Reply with quote

I might be able to ground facilitate transport this summer if you guys strike a deal.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus - 1970 Westy "Watson" Reply with quote

I got temporary storage - about a 4 .5 hr drive for Alan to my place...... if necessary. Or I go that way every so often for work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: