Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aux Battery Charging Issues
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Aux Battery Charging Issues Reply with quote

Over the weekend I installed a second battery into my 1970 bus. I did my own wiring with a standard Bosch relay, I thought I had a relatively good idea on how the circuit would work, but it has failed to behave properly so far.

As it sits now, I have:
Battery power to #30
Aux battery to #87
Alternator excite wire (D+ ??) split off to #85
Ground to #86

Whenever I have the alternator excite wire plugged into the relay, the alternator doesn’t charge (voltage stays at ~12v, idiot light stays on)

Once I unplug the alternator wire, the charging circuit behaves normally, but isn’t engaging the relay so the secondary battery isn’t charging.

Any thoughts on what the issue may be?
Thanks!

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux Battery Charging Issues Reply with quote

Sooo close... 30 battery
87 aux. Battery
86 alternator exciter blue wire split from voltage regulator
85 ground

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux Battery Charging Issues Reply with quote

I will double check that, though I’m pretty positive that’s how I had it at least once. Hopefully it’s that simple

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux Battery Charging Issues Reply with quote

Unless your relay has an integrated diode 85 or 86 can be + or - the coil doesn't care. But if it does and you hooked backwards you may have destroyed it.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Aux Battery Charging Issues Reply with quote

Just hard wire them together and carry a lithium jump pack.

The idea of a start and house battery is outdated IMHO. With the batteries wired together you get better starts, longer camping, better charging, and the batteries last longer.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Aux Battery Charging Issues Reply with quote

that's how I have and have had mine wired for ~15years..
though with a onboard fridge & furnace I use 2 deep cycle aux batteries.
all married together.
WhirledTraveller wrote:
Just hard wire them together and carry a lithium jump pack.

The idea of a start and house battery is outdated IMHO. With the batteries wired together you get better starts, longer camping, better charging, and the batteries last longer.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux Battery Charging Issues Reply with quote

I wired mine to be able to be combined if needed and for charging, otherwise they are isolated.

1) My vehicle circuit doesn't have any parasitic draws, the house side does.
2) I have two different capacity batteries currently.
3) I can completely disconnect my house battery for any reason and not worry about what I do with that side's cables.
4) I also have kill switches on both, just for safety.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux Battery Charging Issues Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
I wired mine to be able to be combined if needed and for charging, otherwise they are isolated.

1) My vehicle circuit doesn't have any parasitic draws, the house side does.
2) I have two different capacity batteries currently.
3) I can completely disconnect my house battery for any reason and not worry about what I do with that side's cables.
4) I also have kill switches on both, just for safety.

When I said hardwired together, that is a good option, although I actually have mine running through an old fashioned marine switch (1, 2, All, Off)

But it stays on All pretty much 100% of the time. The other options are basically in case one battery fails or I want to work on the bus. Which you could just pull wires off posts if you didn't have the switch. Disconnect the negative and no big worries about where it goes so long as it doesn't touch the positive.

I don't have any parasitic draws. Over the winter it lives on a battery tender anyway.

Two different capacity batteries are not a big deal. Assuming they are similar chemistry, they will discharge and charge proportionally. Totally fine to do. Shouldn't really mix AGM and Flooded though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: